BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dear Noob,

Awesome Bike!

The Manufacturers Guide or a Reputable Oil From Motorex to Valvoline could be what the Doctor ordered.

You also have some mitigating factors: Environment, Type of riding, Weather, and AVAILABILITY.

I don't see a Tag on where you live.... but if you clue the members in as to where you live, a much more objective suggestion may be had!

Example: I live in Thailand. So a Multiple Viscosity is not critical. I also run full throttle and avoid city driving. But, in all fairnes..... I am limited by availability and what is imported at a relatively high cost.

Synthetic gives me the best performance, low viscosity break down at the higher ambiant temperatures as well as higher operating temperatures. If the stars align just right I may be gifted with Mobil 1 full syntehetic in a 10W50.

If I was in Europe or back in the USA, I would have more choices and avialability.....but then I'm probably back to seasonal riding and my selections would vary through Spring, Summer and Fall.

I hope this helps, great machine as I once owned the 2007 1200GT. Ride ON Noob!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear Noob,

Awesome Bike!

The Manufacturers Guide or a Reputable Oil From Motorex to Valvoline could be what the Doctor ordered.

You also have some mitigating factors: Environment, Type of riding, Weather, and AVAILABILITY.

I don't see a Tag on where you live.... but if you clue the members in as to where you live, a much more objective suggestion may be had!

Example: I live in Thailand. So a Multiple Viscosity is not critical. I also run full throttle and avoid city driving. But, in all fairnes..... I am limited by availability and what is imported at a relatively high cost.

Synthetic gives me the best performance, low viscosity break down at the higher ambiant temperatures as well as higher operating temperatures. If the stars align just right I may be gifted with Mobil 1 full syntehetic in a 10W50.

If I was in Europe or back in the USA, I would have more choices and avialability.....but then I'm probably back to seasonal riding and my selections would vary through Spring, Summer and Fall.

I hope this helps, great machine as I once owned the 2007 1200GT. Ride ON Noob!

You make a lot of good points however,
I didn’t ask anyone to tell me what I should put in the bike. I asked what everyone likes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wanted to think you could have used the Search function, where you'd have found already the answer, but apparently Math isn't the only thing that is is Hard. So, Barbie, read this, from years and years ago:

https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k12-1300gt-next-gen/24698-oil-use-k130gt.html[/url]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to think you could have used the Search function, where you'd have found already the answer, but apparently Math isn't the only thing that is is Hard. So, Barbie, read this, from years and years ago:

https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k12-1300gt-next-gen/24698-oil-use-k130gt.html[/url]

Oh look, a nine year old thread. There couldn't possibly be any other answers than what is there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
nine year old thread, bike out of production for nine years.

BMW manual lists recommended, however I like Amsoil, Motoul, Castrol, or whatever motorcycle specific synthetic I can find, I usually change oil about every 3500 miles, will go to 5000 if on a longer trip.
Really frequent oil changes with motorcycle specific synthetic oil is all you need to worry about.

My air cooled 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 had 108,000 miles on it when I sold it and compression was still in spec. and surprisingly the valves only need new shims once at about 80K, but I changed oil & filter ever 3000 miles.

My track bike gets fresh oil every other track day, but it lives hovering at the rev limiter the whole time. (that oil goes to the lawn tractor, which sprays for bugs when its running)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nine year old thread, bike out of production for nine years.

BMW manual lists recommended, however I like Amsoil, Motoul, Castrol, or whatever motorcycle specific synthetic I can find, I usually change oil about every 3500 miles, will go to 5000 if on a longer trip.
Really frequent oil changes with motorcycle specific synthetic oil is all you need to worry about.

My air cooled 1984 Yamaha FJ1100 had 108,000 miles on it when I sold it and compression was still in spec. and surprisingly the valves only need new shims once at about 80K, but I changed oil & filter ever 3000 miles.

My track bike gets fresh oil every other track day, but it lives hovering at the rev limiter the whole time. (that oil goes to the lawn tractor, which sprays for bugs when its running)

So you’re not experiencing any better or worse when using different brands?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Engine oil - Castrol Racing 4T 5w40
Final drive -SAF-XO 75w90
It looks like they've dropped Racing & now call it Power 1, correct?

Your thoughts on this package?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts