1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm from Germany and new in this forum.
I ride a K 1200 S from January 2005.
It was updated in September from - as I thought - Version 6 to Version 7. According to the now existing (bad) behaviour of the engine, I believe to be updated from 5.x to 6.x.
The engine does not accept double-clutch (intermediate throttle application) during backspacing a gear.
Next, the computer print-out after the action: OLD: K024-05-11-500, NEW: K024-06-08-500".

Is somebody able to identify, if the new code is what's called version "7" ???

Regards
Bernd

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bernd, I don't have the printout when my 2006 K1200S was updated to 7.0, but I have the printout when it was updated from 5.x to 6.0. The numbers say:

Vehicle data status: K024-05-08-510 (old version?)
Target data status: K024-06-01-510 (new version?)

Compare these to your numbers. I'm just guessing, but this may imply there are sub-variants within each major version number (maybe country or market-specific?).

Furthermore, IF the "K024-xx" indicates the major software version number, your bike might be on a 6.x software version, not 7.0. This is just speculation, but it's consistent with the behavior you observe.

Most K1200S/R owners who updated to 7.0 and who were experiencing throttle/fueling issues noticed unmistakable improvement. On my bike it was a black and white difference, no ambiguity at all.

I'd suggest going back to your dealer and applying diplomatic but progressively increasing pressure to verify it's running 7.0, and if not to perform the update.

Note a commonly-reported problem is the 7.0 update is classified by BMW as non-mandatory, and apparently the service department's GT1 programmer will not automatically download the 7.0 version. Rather a "force download" or override procedure is required that apparently not all dealers know about or are comfortable with.

Diplomatically escalating this to the service dept manager, then the dealership owner will usually resolve this. Stress you have a throttle/fueling complaint -- you aren't requesting the latest version simply to have the newest software.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts