BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of the small, sub-$500 lifts, like the OTC 1545, ok for working on a BMW? (Specifically a '94 R100?) The webbikeworld review indicates the Sears model, which looks the same, is too unstable for much wrenching. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
They have several on offer at Harbor Freight. I have yet to buy one from them but reports have been OK. The lift can always be bolted to the floor if need be. Uber-tight fastners can be broke loose with the lift down if that is an issue.

Is there a Harbor Freight at your , , location? :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
lsgettier said:
Are any of the small, sub-$500 lifts, like the OTC 1545, ok for working on a BMW? (Specifically a '94 R100?) The webbikeworld review indicates the Sears model, which looks the same, is too unstable for much wrenching. Thanks in advance.
I bought one similar to this(on eBay) for a little over $300.00 and I picked it up locally. A table size of 72" by 26" is needed, NOT this one as shown in eBay. A K1200RS just makes the 72" table!!!!:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories___Heavy-Duty-All-Purpose-Motorcycle-Lift-Station_W0QQitemZ270271588489QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQddiZ2811QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270271588489&_trkparms=72:543|39:1|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245
My lift came with a nicer front tire vice, but this type unit is very stable and works very well.
One fyi, A scizzor-type lift will store a lot smaller and lifts straight up as opposed a lift that pivots toward the rear.

Unless you can pick it up locally, shipping will kill you. They weigh between 300lbs. and 450lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Harbor Freight

Their website says, "coming soon" to my area. Good news! BTW the little lift by OTC is at http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=1059 . It looks to me to be the best of the $100 mini's. Amazon.com also has a wide selection of motorcycle lifts.

I just looked under the R100. The pipes are lower than the oil pan. Not good to put all of the weight on the pipes, oil pan or bash plate. So it looks like I would need to rig a jig of some sort to reach the frame with a mini lift, or buy a table lift, as you suggest.

It just seems like there should be an easier/cheaper way. (I know, take it in for service!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
lsgettier said:
Their website says, "coming soon" to my area. Good news! BTW the little lift by OTC is at http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=1059 . It looks to me to be the best of the $100 mini's. Amazon.com also has a wide selection of motorcycle lifts.
If that's the kind of lift you are looking for, Kragen, Pep Boys or any good auto parts store has them(probably in stock) for well under $100.00.
I still have one, I used it to lift my K100 to change tires. I places some wood blocking on the two arms to lift on the transmission and oil pan. The operation was rickety to say the least!!!
 

·
Addict
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
I've got a table lift and under sump scissor lift. The table sits about 4" above the deck and I always find it scary getting my K bike up the ramp on to the table. If I was younger I'd dig out the garage floor and set it in flush!

I've also use a chain hoist and if you have a garage with enough height where you can fit a beam, I find that easier and more useful. Especially when removing both wheels for a tire change. For a major teardown like clutch or seals, all three lifting tools come in. Tables are good for routine service - fluid changes, removing body panels etc.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Vox,

I've recently completed just that. Had enough of getting up and down from the concrete floor. See pics. It took a while because I first had to correct the levels around my workshop / garage floor. It works great, no ramp required. I welded the fastener nuts for the wheel clamp to the underside of the table for ease of attachment and removal. I remove these bits so they are not a trip hazard when the table is not in use. I've included a 50mm safety gap all round. I intend to drop in a removable lightweight filler of some sort for when I am not using the lift.

Tony
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
TONYZ said:
Vox,

I've recently completed just that. Had enough of getting up and down from the concrete floor. See pics. It took a while because I first had to correct the levels around my workshop / garage floor. It works great, no ramp required. I welded the fastener nuts for the wheel clamp to the underside of the table for ease of attachment and removal. I remove these bits so they are not a trip hazard when the table is not in use. I've included a 50mm safety gap all round. I intend to drop in a removable lightweight filler of some sort for when I am not using the lift.

Tony
Nice setup. What brand of lift?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top