BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For decades, I have been watching who sells my name and address to whom. It has been informal. When junk mail arrived, I made a mental note of where they got my name and address before I tossed it in the trash. I didn't bother to write it down.

Buying the K1200GT rekindled my interest in motorcycling as something more than just transportation, so I subscribed to several motorcycle-related magazines last fall. The junk mail increased as expected.

Over the past four months or so, I have been recording the junk mail and its address source before I throw it away. Here are various motorcycle magazines that sold my name and address to junk mail advertisers, and which offers came from them:

--> Cycle World (magazine):
* Playboy magazine
* Time magazine
* Consumer Reports
* AARP (See notes 1 and 2)
* Motorcycle Classics magazine
* Robb Report Motorcycling magazine
* MotoSport.com Street catalog
* Southern California Ducati (dealership)

--> Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN):
* AMA - American Motorcyclist Association
* Road Runner - Motorcycle Touring and Travel
* Consumer Reports

--> Motorcyclist:
* Stereophile magazine

--> Rider:
(Nothing so far, but I could have missed something. :) )

--> Advanstar (Cycle World Motorcycle Shows):
* Queenboro Shirt Company - embroidered shirts (See note 3)

Notes:
1. AARP - The letter didn't even say what AARP stands for. Yes, I know what it stands for.
2. AARP - This shows that someone is tying my motorcycle magazine subscriptions to a database that knows other, more personal information (e.g., my age).
3. Queensboro Shirt Company sent "spam" email, not a letter or postcard.

Additional Note:
I have been tracking other magazines and name/address sources, but they aren't related to motorcycles. AARP has been particularly aggressive, using many different, unrelated sources to flood me with membership offers. I wonder how much of their budget goes to serve their membership, and how much goes to recruitment by mail?

·
Registered
18 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
2. AARP - This shows that someone is tying my motorcycle magazine subscriptions to a database that knows other, more personal information (e.g., my age). ...

Probably they think that everyone who rides GT is qualified...

:teeth

·
Registered
365 Posts
Boris_Badenov said:
Probably they think that everyone who rides GT is qualified...

:teeth
shook sez said:
Indeed. It does appear to be a valid assumption. :)
I am sure I saw it in the fine print of the BMW purchase agreement, those of you in violation must immediately ship your bike(s) to one of us who meets the age requirement.

I need a blue K12GT, one in graphite and the new 08 color, to complement my CGM K12GT. As I do not have an K12S, K12R or K12R sport any color is fine. Any R12S, R12HP and R12GS, any of the others can go to less deserving.
I will even pay the shipping as I hate to have my fellow forum members be in violation of a BMW policy.

What's even worse is when you have to register on an equipment vendors web site, spam is almost immediate, even when you "option out"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts