BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Lowrance and now I'm faced with trying to mount this brick, it weighs about 3lbs. This is the first time I've gone down this road. Figure if it doesn't work out I'll just throw it in the car. Anyway, since it is so heavy I am thinking the BMW base may not be heavy duty enough. I'm not real keen on the shelf idea as I don't like drilling holes and mounting braces and the like. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you are speaking about the BigMak shelf, there are no holes that need to be drilled. It uses existing screw holes. I think it may be the best option for you.

Brian

·
Registered
221 Posts
mount

I had one on my Ks and it couldn't take vibes or bumps,just siezed up and had to reboot every 1/2 mile or so. Works great in my car.
H

slowflyn said:
Bought the Lowrance and now I'm faced with trying to mount this brick, it weighs about 3lbs. This is the first time I've gone down this road. Figure if it doesn't work out I'll just throw it in the car. Anyway, since it is so heavy I am thinking the BMW base may not be heavy duty enough. I'm not real keen on the shelf idea as I don't like drilling holes and mounting braces and the like. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
497 Posts
slowflyn said:
Brian, do the braces also use existing holes?
Yup. THe braces extend from the corners of the front of the shelf. THey point to the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions and pick up the screws that are in the black tupperware on each side of the instrument cluster.

The whole thing is stable as hell. I have a BMW Nav III a wood Tiki idol and a dancing hula girl doll on there.

Brian

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it isn't elegant, but that isn't a word that is usually associated with me anyway. I took the handlebars down a couple of notches and in that gap I could slip the Ram universal handlebar U bolt. Clamped it down good and tight and that thing is very solid feeling. Put the GPS on it and slapped it around like it was a Islamo wacko and it held steady. I will plan on putting a tether on it just in case.

Now I got to figure out how to change the power connector from the cig lighter thing to something a bit more practical. Is it possible to just cut the cig lighter end off and solder something else on?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts