BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount my Gerbing Dual Controller to the left side of the dash same area as Griff did but what way do I do it?

Do I need to pull the plastic off the front side that has the head light or do I pull the dash part somehow?

I do have the Motorrad DVD but I need a starting side :confused:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I mounted mine on the left hand side of the bike and picked up power from a Blue Sea fuse block. I routed the Gerbing plug along the left side of the bike. It exists at the side of my saddle.

Fuse Block

Gerbing Controller (Green Plastic Looking Thing)

The Warm and Safe controller is compatible with Gerbings heated liners and to me, seem to be a little more robust in design than the Gerbing controller. I will use the Warm and Safe next time.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
TxWhiteKnight said:
Thanks Bandera, where is the knob of the controller mounted
If you look carefully, you can see the knob in the first photo. It is on the flat black horizontal panel, straight above the top left corner of the fuse block.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XMagnaRider said:
If you look carefully, you can see the knob in the first photo. It is on the flat black horizontal panel, straight above the top left corner of the fuse block.
Thanks X, I wonder if I can reach the vertical part from under there? I might give that a try this weekend, and install my Suburban Machine barback, and work on my Phoenix switch :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Heat control

Similar mount. Left dash panel is pretty accessible with the tuperware removed. I mounted my fuseblock right on top of the battery. Only two screws if you need to change or check a fuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Fuseblock

Block on top of the batt. Relay controlled so it only powers up when the key is on.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great post - another winter project - thanks! :clap:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
r2k2 said:
Block on top of the batt. Relay controlled so it only powers up when the key is on.
Thanks r2k2, I like that Fuzeblock. I need to order one or two of those and now is the time as the group buy will be over tomorrow. here is the link Fuzeblock

:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
r2k2 said:

Questions: What do those 2 extra switches on the handlebar operate and where did you buy them?

Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
r2k2 said:
I like that fuse block. It is the same one we installed on a new K yesterday. I am curious about why you installed the fuse block on top of the battery, aside from the obvious accessability. You will need to remove it each time you do a valve adjustment or battery swap. And, there is the possiblity of corrosive fumes around the battery, although this may not be an issue with a seal battery.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Fuseblock location

Why on top of the battery?

1) Battery is sealed so no fumes
2) Space is protected from elements
3) Very short connection wires to battery - highest current heavy gauge wire
4) Centralizes the electrical system - most accessories are up front
5) Convenient "tunnel" down left side of tank for wires going to the rear
6) Access to replace a fuse is simple
7) Easily removed when needed (two battery connection wires) it folds out of the way - velcro mount is sufficient
8) Valve adjustments on a K are few and far between
9) In a crash the power distribution system is very shielded
10) Power to noise susceptible accessories (intercom) minimized

1 - 12 of 12 Posts