BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Cruisin the MidAtlantic joyfully
Joined
·
67 Posts
Search for "Zumo mount" or similar. Lots of posts on this topic. I'm pretty new here myself, but I'm sure requests for info on a topic like this that has been covered many times get pretty old. Search before posting, please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Ram-mount.com has a bunch of stuff used for mounting GPS, cellphone, radar detectors, etc. I use several of their items to mount my Zumo and iPass. Good quality, easty to mount and very adjustable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
Check out www.zumoforums.com for lots of good info.

i prefer the ztechnic mount mounted on my left grip. close to my left hand to make zumo changes and still out of the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
mantmich said:
What would be the best mount for Garmin 550 to be placed above gauges and not on handle bars?
I don't think there is a "best" place to mount it. It may depend on the style of tank bag you use if any in relation to visibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
wintermute said:
I'm pretty new here myself, but I'm sure requests for info on a topic like this that has been covered many times get pretty old. Search before posting, please.
Nah, post away. The fun is in the exchange.

I really like the BMW stock mount for their rebranded version of the 550. Custom fit and there is a dedicated wiring harness plug just hanging out under the bars, waiting to be used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
aj7840 said:

That's exactly what I did, just mounted my Zumo 450 this afternoon actually. The bolt-on parts take all of 60 seconds. The wiring on the other hand, :banghead: tedious. My soldering skills are okay, but my equipment sucks. Ended up crimping and covering with heat shrink tubing and electrical tape. Still works though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
b4udoo said:
Need pointers and or parts list to mount Zumo 550 THANKS!

Man spend the money and get the TechMount. It is great! Centers perfectly and can be used for other stuff. I got mine off http://piratesk12site.net/ZRadarmountGT.htm
and couldn't be happier.
$20,000 bike $700 GPS and then a $30 mount? come on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Zumo Mount

I purchased the factory mount and installed it there. It works great.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
FDXKIT said:
Man spend the money and get the TechMount. It is great! Centers perfectly and can be used for other stuff. I got mine off http://piratesk12site.net/ZRadarmountGT.htm
and couldn't be happier.
$20,000 bike $700 GPS and then a $30 mount? come on
I take it you buy bottled water too.

Maybe BMW under priced it, after all it is a BMW OEM part
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
K-Dog said:
I don't have one yet, but was thinking about going this route...

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BMA-SH

I'm in the process of mounting that product right now and I found out right away that I will either have to fabricate an additional brace or purchase the GPS heavy duty mount w/the extra support leg for an extra $50. IMO this should have been included with the shelf in the first place since most people will be using this to mount what they call heavy GPS's.

I had an RCU shelf on my R1100RT which worked great but the one they made for the GT also vibrates like the Big Mak. Either way you go you'll have to use an additional brace to control vibration.

I really like having the GPS more in my line of sight up on a shelf rather than mounted down on the handle bars or tank bag from a safety standpoint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
aj7840 said:
I take it you buy bottled water too.

Maybe BMW under priced it, after all it is a BMW OEM part
Well, if it's the BMW OEM that they gave me it does not center the unit. Drove me nuts. Yea it was less money but it drove me nuts. Maybe, they have one that works correctly now. I love the Techmount though.

And yes I drink a lot of bottled water. I spend most of my time in airplanes and I'm not drinking what comes out of the tap. It's free though :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
FDXKIT said:
Well, if it's the BMW OEM that they gave me it does not center the unit. Drove me nuts. Yea it was less money but it drove me nuts. Maybe, they have one that works correctly now. I love the Techmount though.

And yes I drink a lot of bottled water. I spend most of my time in airplanes and I'm not drinking what comes out of the tap. It's free though :)

I am with you 100% on water on planes.

I like the looks of the Techmount, and it really isn't much more expensive and its not plastic. I though Pirates' was a little pricy on stuff so really didn't look there. Turns out based on volume, quality and availability he is a good deal. Plus it might hide the brake warning light when the wires break again. That's another subject.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Zumo mount

I prefer the Z-Technic mirror hole mount on the left.
I like to channel surf the XM so reaching over the tank bag to make any adjustments with the OEM mount is a little awkward (I've tried it).
Also, when you're looking for gas stations, restaurants, motels, making phone calls, etc. you don't want to take your left hand too far from the grip.
Just experiment and settle on what is most comfortable for you.
To hell with expense. You only live once! :boom:
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top