BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Schwarzenegger Hurt in Motorcycle Mishap

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger received 15 stitches in his lip Sunday after he and his 12-year-old son were involved in a motorcycle accident near their home, his spokeswoman said.

Schwarzenegger was riding a Harley Davidson motorcycle with his son Patrick in the sidecar when another driver backed into the street, spokeswoman Margita Thompson said in a statement.

``The governor was unable to avoid the vehicle in his path and collided with it at a low speed,'' she said.

Schwarzenegger and his son were treated for cuts and bruises at St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica and released, Thompson said. Both were wearing helmets at the time, she said. They were recovering at home Sunday night.

The other driver was not injured. No citations were issued in the accident in the city's Brentwood section, said Officer Jason Lee, a police spokesman.

The governor was expected to keep his appointments Monday.

In December 2001, Schwarzenegger broke six ribs and was hospitalized for four days after a motorcycle crash in Los Angeles.

The accident occurred when a car stopped in front of him and he was unable to change lanes to avoid the vehicle. His ribs were broken when his chest hit the motorcycle windshield.

``It was very painful, much more painful than the heart surgery,'' he said at the time, referring to an operation he had in 1997 to replace a heart valve. ``A rib breaking is like the worst.''

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
What happened to him is exactly what has happened to each and everyone of us.
At the governor's news conference he said that he was going about 20mph. A woman was backing out of a driveway. She stopped, looked left, then looked right, established eye contact with Arnold and backed right in front of him. IT happens all the time. People just don't see us. Probably lucky he was riding a sidecar rig.
Bruce C

·
Registered
819 Posts
maybe a good thing

Hopefully this event may provide a necessary means for increased motorcycle safety in the DMV manual and automobile training. I'm not too positive what can be done. Can't really inform ignorant people, kinda like someones signature (forgot the screenname), "Can't teach a pig to sing, it wastes your time and annoys the pig."

I'm sure the AMA has a few decent ideas. Maybe they can use this incedent to start a push on some issues.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can say that on my KRS after its HID install, and on my S (HID from day one) I have had NO pullouts. Not one. And I ride with only low beam in daylight. This is FAR from the case in my previous years even with the KRS. I think the brighter and bluer light jumps out more at the drivers and triggers their tiny cell-phone-using brain's "hazard" signal. So far, so good, anyway.

Bright lights save lives.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
kkugel said:
I can say that on my KRS after its HID install, and on my S (HID from day one) I have had NO pullouts. Not one. And I ride with only low beam in daylight. This is FAR from the case in my previous years even with the KRS. I think the brighter and bluer light jumps out more at the drivers and triggers their tiny cell-phone-using brain's "hazard" signal. So far, so good, anyway.

Bright lights save lives.

I'm about to commit to HID next week for the same reason. Cages don't see yellow lights in daylight. Did you do both low and high beams, and do you get any annoying delay on switching low to high on sweepers at night? What colour temp did you go for? I was thinking 6K.

If you attached an insulated wire to one lamp terminal and wrapped it once round the bike under the plastic, their cellphones and gps's would probably stop working.

The Arnie story made it over here in UK and I'm pleased to hear both he and his son were ok. It seems pretty much a no win scenario, particularly with a sidecar,nowhere to go and no airbag in front.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
281 Posts
voxmagna said:
I'm about to commit to HID next week for the same reason. Cages don't see yellow lights in daylight. Did you do both low and high beams, and do you get any annoying delay on switching low to high on sweepers at night? What colour temp did you go for? I was thinking 6K.

If you attached an insulated wire to one lamp terminal and wrapped it once round the bike under the plastic, their cellphones and gps's would probably stop working.

The Arnie story made it over here in UK and I'm pleased to hear both he and his son were ok. It seems pretty much a no win scenario, particularly with a sidecar,nowhere to go and no airbag in front.

You can buy cell phone jammers easily enough, but I don't know if that would make the drivers better or worse when they get cut off in mid conversation.

George

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
jvreschar said:
Reading the news today Mr. Terminator does not have a motorcycle endorsement on his license but a class C endorsement allowing him to drive a motorcycle with a sidecar.
A class C license is an ordinary Ca. drivers license,usually the first type of license a resident gets and there is nothing special about it. And yes you can operate a side car rig among other types of vehicles by having this class license.

Bruce C

·
Registered
66 Posts
voxmagna said:

I got the lowest color temperature I could; I like the white light better than the blue. And since the S already has dual high beams I just swapped them for PIAA Extreme Whites and am very happy with the results. There is PLENTY of light. And they come up faster than an HID, so you can actually flash them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Actually I'm was slightly curious as well. The media reports I've seen are now saying that his license may not have been valid for a side-car rig. Course I'm assuming you are pretty much correct Bruce - and the media is probably oconfusing the motorcycle side car rig terminology up with... say a Hummer....

alow

·
Registered
567 Posts
ARNOLD not properly licensed to operate motorcycle

I think the point that aa3jy is making is that the GOVUNOR often rides a two wheel motorcycle and is not setting a very good example. He was just lucky to be riding with a sidecar THIS time. :crazy:

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I'm not so sure he's legal

brucecha said:
What's your point? He was completely legal operating a side-car or three-wheeled vehicle with a class C license. Case closed.
Bruce C
VC§ 12500. Unlawful to Drive Unless Licensed
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway, unless the person then holds a valid driver's license issued under this code, except those persons who are expressly exempted under this code.
(b) No person shall drive any motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle upon a highway, unless the person then holds a valid driver's license or endorsement issued under this code for that class, except those persons who are expressly exempted under this code, or those persons specifically authorized to operate motorized bicycles with a valid driver's license of any class, as specified in subdivision (g) of Section 12804.9.
-----VC§ 400. Motorcycle
(a) A "motorcycle" is any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and weighing less than 1,500 pounds.
(b) A motor vehicle that has four wheels in contact with the ground, two of which are a functional part of a sidecar, is a motorcycle if the vehicle otherwise comes within the definition of subdivision (a).
(c) A motor vehicle that is electrically powered, has a maximum speed of 45 miles per hour, and weighs less than 2,500 pounds, is a motorcycle if the vehicle otherwise comes within the definition of subdivision (a).
(d) A farm tractor is not a motorcycle.
(e) A three-wheeled motor vehicle that otherwise meets the requirements of subdivision (a), has a partially or completely enclosed seating area for the driver and passenger, is used by local public agencies for the enforcement of parking control provisions, and is operated at slow speeds on public streets, is not a motorcycle. However, a motor vehicle described in this subdivision shall comply with the applicable sections of this code imposing equipment installation requirements on motorcycles.
(Repealed and added by Stats. 1996, Ch. 453, Sec. 4. Effective January 1, 1997.)

·
Registered
759 Posts
From the article:

But a separate section on licenses says that only "two-wheeled motorcycles" are excluded from the class of vehicles for which a Class C license is inadequate. It goes on to say that the Class M1 license is required for operation of "two-wheeled motorcycles or a motor-driven cycle."

·
Registered
370 Posts
The disturbing attitude of 'I didn't think about it' is what gets me. He has been riding without a license on a motorcycle for years. Kind of the says the law doesn't apply to him. Shameful, and doesn't help the image of our sport. When the governor doesn't take the time to be lawful, why should others. Also annoying, the LEO excuse (according to a quote from the officer on the scene)for not citing him was that they arrived after the accident had happened. HUH? Does that mean if I have an accident and no valid license but they don't SEE it I am off the hook?. I don't get it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
A couple thoughts I had were this. The few Harleys I have ridden were not quick handling, nor noted for their very good braking abilities. Add a side hack and it can only get worse. Where thats not always a problem, just leads me to believe it is a combination that requires a high degree of skill to safely operate. With out a valid license I wonder on his riding skill?
Also I wonder what went thru the mind of the person that backed into him when they saw it was body builder/terminator/ and governor? Had to ruin a good pair of skivvies wouldnt ya think? ( Oh Man! am I screwed!)
And if a politicial doesnt get busted for bribery/ fraud/treason/perjury, why would we think a traffic ticket would happen? We have had several comments on this board where cops dont give tickets to other cops, with certain their main boss is exempt.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Chuck
On page 4 of the 2003 Ca. Drivers Handbook it lists the type of license classes. A,B,and C with class C being your normal auto license. Also on pg. 4 it is noted class M1 or M2 is added as an endorsement to any other class license after passing law and skill tests.
On pg. 3 of the 2004 Ca. Motorcycle Handbook the license requirements are listed, M1 two wheel motorcycle, class M2 motorized bicycle and class C, which allows you to operate a motorcycle WITH sidecar or three-wheel motorcycle(HD servi-car).
There is an exception on pg. 1 of the M/C handbook that qualifies that a motorcycle with a sidecar weighing less than 1,500lbs. is considered a motorcycle.
Remember that class M1,M2 are endorsements made to a class A,B, or class C license and a class C, is a stand alone license.
I say he was legal.
But bad for me " If there is a conflict, this handbook cannot be relied upon as law" is quoted on pg. 1 also.
Hell. Arnold even signed the handbook hisself.
I also agree that he rides all the time with NO license and just got lucky this time.

Bruce C

1 - 20 of 35 Posts