BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, first, in the interest of full disclosure - I work for Microsoft. A very recent occurrance as my company (Unveil Technologies) was acquired in September. I'm not involved with Streets and Trips at all, I'm in the speech recognition field (now with the Microsoft Speech Server product team).

Now with that out of the way, I've been a huge Streets and Trips fan for many years. I have a Garmin Street Pilot III (3 years, now). I do like the Garmin hardware, but I've always preferred S&T for mapping software. My approach to trip planning has always to do it first using S&T, then put the final result into Garmin's Mapsource for route download into the Street Pilot.

Microsoft has a new version of Streets and Trips out that includes a GPS receiver. I'm guessing the GPS probably plugs into a serial or USB port, but I haven't played with it yet. From what little I've read about this new version of S&T, it now has turn by turn and speech commands while enroute, most likely similar to Garmin and Magellan units.

I'd love to use a weather proof pocket PC of sometime to take advantage of the S&T software. So my question for the group - can anyone recommend a bike-mountable Pocket PC that is weather proof. Is there such a thing?

thanks,
Brad

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Well...until Microsoft takes over Garmin (sorry
)

I'd go for both. There's a conversion application that takes Streets-n-Trips (or Map-Point) and converts it to .gdb (and vice versa), called GPSU. Might be something worth looking into, as the Garmin units are pretty good stand-alone GPS units (read: water proof) and the basic design is more motorcycle oriented than finding a weather-proof pocket PC.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Razel said:
Well...until Microsoft takes over Garmin (sorry
)

I'd go for both. There's a conversion application that takes Streets-n-Trips (or Map-Point) and converts it to .gdb (and vice versa), called GPSU. Might be something worth looking into, as the Garmin units are pretty good stand-alone GPS units (read: water proof) and the basic design is more motorcycle oriented than finding a weather-proof pocket PC.
Great idea. I'll definitely check out GPSU. - thanx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts