BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 K1300S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So around August of 2021, I purchased the Trinity 3-Rail MT3 Motorcycle trailer from The USA Trailer Store. The first thing I noticed was that the trailer was made in China. I am not against that but buying from “The USA Trailer Store” is a little misleading. I thought they actually made them. OK, I shouldn’t have assumed, especially in today’s market. Since then I have used this trailer for approximately 5,000 miles. It is garage kept when not in use. Here is my review:

The first issue I had was the wheel chocks not being adjustable to a usable measurement. The adjustment rails were all welded too far back. The minimal size wheel that would fit correctly was 21” to greater than 26”. Ok for dirt bikes, but what else for I don’t know. I contacted the company and they initially said it fits all sizes of bikes….yeah right! Then they said they changed the design last year and sent me a different rear chock piece. It helped a little but not really solved the problem for a 17” front wheel. The only true fix for this is to remove the adjustment rail and reweld in the correct spot. Not happening since the store doesn’t build their own trailers. These chocks will not work as intended for anything smaller that 21 and especially for kid size bikes.

Next, was the wheel bearing seals. On the first trip they failed and flung grease everywhere. I removed the grease and repacked with Valvoline High Temp grease. That helped a little, but the seals eventually still flung grease on the wheels. The trailer did not have a load on it at that time. So I am still in searching for new seals. Upon inspection of the bearings, they seemed like poor quality and hard to see the part number.

The trailer’s finish looks nice, but after one trip in light rain, it rusted in various areas. I later had to place traction tape at various places on the trailer because if you are not careful and the trailer is wet you will slip on the plate metal or ramp which is painted in gloss black paint. This is one of those areas not well thought out at all. Additionally, the loading ramps and sidestep do not really allow someone to secure them to the trailer when transporting a bike. If you are transporting two bikes (a bike on each side) you can secure the ramp in the center track, but not a bike in the center track or three bikes. Also the side step is not designed to be attached to the trailer when in motion (as per the manual).

Some other issues: The trailer ball hitch lock also does not accept a standard size padlock and requires a small shank lock. The spare wheel doesn’t fit squarely to the undercarriage with the same size tire.

I wish I would have just rented trailer for my intended purpose of using this trailer. A better choice would have been an enclosed trailer, but because my garage wasn’t tall enough and I live in an HOA community the MT3 seemed like a good solution.

The trailer could do with some more/better tie down points. Overall, the trailer does the job but I think it was not well thought out design. The ride quality is good, but I would not recommend this trailer. As soon as I can get an enclosed trailer this one will be sold.

The reason for me writing this review is because The USA Trailer Store did not post my review of their trailer on their site. I figured consumers would want to know the truth about these trailers and I don’t like be censored.

Legal Disclaimer: This is my opinion based on my experience and ownership of this trailer. I do not work for any competitor or trailer manufactures.
Wheel Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle tire Alloy wheel

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
521 Posts
And that's why I have a Kendon trailer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Kendon trailer as well but I don’t put road bikes on it anymore I did at first put my new black Harley on it took it about 300 miles and the bike was filthy and part of that is because it was behind our Motorhome which is a vacuum back there pulling everything of the road Which can easily chip up the bike so never again Unless going 5 or 10 miles behind my truck I use it for going dirtbike riding for the day with son or friends if going camping off road riding I bring our 20’ enclosed and haul all our bikes and side x side
Anytime I need a trailer for my road bike I use my hallmark lowboy enclosed trailer that’s about 6 foot wide by 14 V nose then I know everything is safe

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 K1300S
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a Kendon trailer as well but it don’t put road bikes on it anymore I did at first put my new black Harley on it took it about 300 miles and the bike was filthy and part of that is because it was behind our Motorhome which is a vacuum back there pulling everything of the road Which can easily chip up the bike so never again Unless going 5 or 10 miles behind my truck I use it for going dirtbike riding for the day with son or friends if going camping off road riding I bring our 20’ enclosed and haul all our bikes and side x side
Anytime I need a trailer for my road bike I use my hallmark lowboy enclosed trailer that’s about 6 foot wide by 14 V nose then I know everything is safe
Yep, That happened to me too. That is why I wouldn't rather an enclosed trailer. My bike got completely dirty after 70 miles on a snow melting day. The mist behind the vehicle is terrible

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
521 Posts
I have the Kendon because I have no need for an enclosed trailer. The only time I use it is to drop my bike at the indy and rescue other people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts