BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2013 Ducati MTS 1200S with a full Termi exhaust, panniers and top case and installed the Tuneboy ECU tuning software with electronic cruise control. It runs great and has about 13.5k miles on it. However, I have an opportunity to buy a 2016 K13S with very low miles on it. Before the Duc, I owned a 2006 K12S so I'm not unfamiliar with the platform. Just wondering what people think of this bike. I should mention that I'm 63 years old, had bar risers on the K12S (which I'll do again). I like fast but need comfort. The MTS is a much more upright riding position which I like. Feedback?

Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ha, no chance of any bias here. :) (Try posting the same query on a Ducati website, and see if they come up with K as the answer!)

But for others who want to explore and compare the ergonomics of the two, this is a useful resource:

I used that site to pick the K - I like a little forward lean, and the Duke doesn't have that (well, not for someone as tall as me).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before I bought my K12S, I joined the I-BMW forum to see what people thought of the bike. There were as many complaints as there were people who loved it. Every bike has it's flaws/quirks and some change depending on the model year. I just like to know what those quirks are before deciding to purchase. That's a pretty slick site and find it very helpful. While the ergos will be similar to my previous K bike but I bought it with the bar risers. The site shows that the MTS has a lean angle of 2 degrees vs the K13s of 28 degrees with the stock bars and 24 degrees with bar risers. I didn't realize how upright the Duc was until I saw that diagram on the Ergonomics site. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
K13S is an amazing bike, but also very different from your also fantastic Ducati. Hard to recommend one over the other since they don't have much in common other than having two wheels and being super quick. Have fun deciding!

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
438 Posts
If you can do it buy the K bike and hold onto your other bike until you're sure. And there is nothing wrong with having a back up bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K13S is an amazing bike, but also very different from your also fantastic Ducati. Hard to recommend one over the other since they don't have much in common other than having two wheels and being super quick. Have fun deciding!
I like the way you think! However, my wife may not :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pcv57,
I have a K1200s with handlebars raised and foot pegs lowered. I too am 63 and I have had both my knee joints replaced. I can ride that bike all day! And it looks good. I'm sorry to say the Duc doesn't look all that good with that bird beak look that so many bikes of that type have.
I have to omit that I do like pretty things. BMW makes plenty of ugly bikes and for me it's part of the choice when I make my decision. Call me shallow I guess. I own a Ducati 907IE. A beautiful bike in it's own right. Ducati 916s, 888, 851, 900SS, the Panigale, all beautiful bikes in my opinion. But the 1200s/1300s are just pretty bikes with all that horsepower.
... sorry, I need to go for a ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pcv57,
I have a K1200s with handlebars raised and foot pegs lowered. I too am 63 and I have had both my knee joints replaced. I can ride that bike all day! And it looks good. I'm sorry to say the Duc doesn't look all that good with that bird beak look that so many bikes of that type have.
I have to omit that I do like pretty things. BMW makes plenty of ugly bikes and for me it's part of the choice when I make my decision. Call me shallow I guess. I own a Ducati 907IE. A beautiful bike in it's own right. Ducati 916s, 888, 851, 900SS, the Panigale, all beautiful bikes in my opinion. But the 1200s/1300s are just pretty bikes with all that horsepower.
... sorry, I need to go for a ride.
Lol. I get it! It took me a long time to get used to the look of the Multi. I went for a ride last night after work and was reminded of how light and flickable (is that a word?) it is. It’s also a very tall bike so not for everyone but I do miss the inline 4 engine, shaft drive (hate chain maintenance) and good looks of the K12/13s

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know what the Ducati is like, but I can tell you what a 67-year-old thinks of his 2015 K1300s MS.

It's ... sometimes comfortable. Basically I find it most comfortable around 85mph. For me, 6'2" with long torso, the wind speed needs to be at least 75mph to get enough weight off my wrists to be comfortable. 85mph is perfect. Slow speeds are not comfortable for me, but then I don't have bar risers. I've often thought just another 1/2" up and back would be much better overall.

The seat: I replaced mine with a Corbin, which is uncomfortable in a different way. The stock seat was tilted a bit forward, and it;'s very uncomfortable sliding into the tank constantly. The Corbin has a better shape, but it doesn't have enough padding for longer rides. I'm experimenting (with surprising success!!) by sitting on a couple of mouse pads when my ass starts hurting.

Then there are the knees. And the lower back. I have been riding BMW's since 1976 with an R90s. Then R100RS, R100RS, K100RS, K100RS and finally K1300s. All of these bikes have the same basic riding position. I think the K1300s has a slightly tighter leg position, but mostly the same. And for me, all of them have hurt. All of them. My right knee has not been the same since the R90s was totaled in 1978. The longer I ride, the more my knees hurt, and the older I get, the more my knees hurt. That little bit of extra bend on the K1300s amplifies the hurt. I spend a lot of time taking my legs off the pegs after an hour or so trying to relieve that pressure. If your knees are better, or your legs are shorter (less bend then), you'll be OK. I think there is no difference from the K1200s.

OK, I've been uncomfortable on 400-mile rides on all of these bikes, but I still do it, or did until lately. If you've ridden a K1200s, you should already know what you're getting into, but for me speed is definitely a factor in potential comfort. Those bar backs sound like they could even be a game changer, if you can't ride out west all day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. The riding position is a factor. I wouldn’t want to ride without bar risers but the wind protection is also a factor. It is something in the plus column for the Ducati. Also, the riding position is much more upright which is a plus, as well. I’ll be going in for carpal tunnel surgery in January so I am concerned about having too much weight on my haNDA and arms. No doubt the K13S is a more beautiful bike and smoother than my MTS plus I get bored after owning a bike for a few years. The Ducati has just under 14k miles so before it needs work and becomes a high mileage bike, it may be time to sell

·
Registered
81 Posts
From my perspective, the Multistrada and the K1300S are very different bikes. They have different strengths and weaknesses that require tradeoffs that aren't directly comparable. I think the real issue has more to do with the riding you want to do vs. the difference in the bikes themselves.

The comparison seams similar to an R1200GS vs. a K1300S, both of which I happen to own. My R1200GS is stripped down light with street radials so maybe even more comparable than a stock bike. There's a reason I have them both, they're both a ton of fun to ride but in very different ways. The K1300S is truly my fast run around town bike. Its like a cruise missle with handle bars and brakes that are used only reluctantly. When I was younger I would ride a bike like it much further, but these days I'm happy to have other choices. The R1200GS is total hooligan...lots of torque and raunchy. Makes me want to hop the curb and slide it sideways across the lawn, but maturity reins me in...barely. The big difference in practical terms, I'd take the R1200GS across the country if a good opportunity presented itself. The K1300S won't go much more than 90 mins before I'm ready to park it for a while. If you can only own one, try thinking in terms of what would bring you the most joy. After all, either bike will get you there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I’m hearing is another vote to have both! I like it. Seriously, it is a tough comparison and they are very different. As much as I’d like to think I would ride cross country, the reality is that i do an hour or two at a time on back roads. I love riding along twisty roads and enjoying the scenery which I can do on either bike.
The dealer is supposed to get back to me this weekend on his best price. Right now he’s asking $14,900 for a 2016 MS with 1k miles on it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts