BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! What a lousy feeling after an hours ride to a Toy Ride to find you lost your left saddlebag from your K12GT. At least there wasn't a toy in it. Anyone got a good condition left bag with out a cover or with a damaged cover? I must've not locked it to the bike.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lost Bag..........

coynerc said:
Wow! What a lousy feeling after an hours ride to a Toy Ride to find you lost your left saddlebag from your K12GT. At least there wasn't a toy in it. Anyone got a good condition left bag with out a cover or with a damaged cover? I must've not locked it to the bike.
In a post I read recently, either on this site or the old one, there was an explanation on how (where the lower part of the bag fits into two "ears" on the frame mount) to drill a small hole in this peice and put a small diameter cotter type pin through it that would stop the bag from leaving the bike. The hole was small and would be hard to see if the bags were not installed (bagless). I may do this in fact to my bags, as I usually carry my wallet, camera, cell phone in a small carry pack on one side.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you are considering going the cotter pin route, you might stop in a WestMarine or similar sailboat hardware store and ask for a "quick release" or "fast" pin. There are two types, and (naturally) the one which works easier is much more expensive, but the basic idea is that the pin stays in until you want it out, and then it pops out when you pull or press it. Here's the URL for the cheaper item in WestMarine's catalog:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/530

The more expensive one is called a "Ball-Lok pin"; it can't be removed without actuating a very simple release mechanism. Both come in numerous lengths and diameters.

·
Registered
330 Posts
See Post:.........

Please look at post: "My Left Bag is Flopping Around". That is the post I was mentioning
previously. That pin (not sure of name) is the type I was talking about. I'm sure the other pin mentioned would work also from West Marine. Look at "post #7" .

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
bag restraint

here is a pic of my fix

Attachments

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
pin name

I made these out of 1/8" stainless steel rod, used to make them all the time in the plumbing world. Never knew the name. Figured one of you enlightened older chaps would have the name.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
This is as common as insurgents in Iraq.. I've had it happen to me and heard of at least 20-30 other people who had the same prob... and it's NEVER pleasant.

Join the club...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Another option is the "Wire Lock Pin", available at your local hardware store, Home Depot or Lowes.

They also carry one very similar to what Don made!

Randy

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts