BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

361 - 374 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Robert_W said:
What's with the blown bulb indicator with the little "4" next to it?
It's the 'Bright idea bulb indicator', and it was his fourth one in 123,456 miles :tim

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Robert_W said:
What's with the blown bulb indicator with the little "4" next to it?
To spoil the suspense, it is not a "4." It is an arrow pointing up (forward) to indicate that the failed bulb is in front. The arrow looks like a "4" because the right side is covered by a hard water spot on the plastic gauge cover. If the failed bulb were in the motorcycle tail, there would be a down arrow instead.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
XMagnaRider said:
To spoil the suspense, it is not a "4." It is an arrow pointing up (forward) to indicate that the failed bulb is in front. The arrow looks like a "4" because the right side is covered by a hard water spot on the plastic gauge cover. If the failed bulb were in the motorcycle tail, there would be a down arrow instead.
DOH! :wow2: Now I feel stupid! ......Done in by the hard water spot. I used to see those things with regularity before I put in the HID. It's just been so long.

Hey Meese....no HID? did it fail? Or are you just living with the error? :confused:

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
As many have stated here I, too, feel bad about your experience and like those riders I have to wonder if I'm riding a mechanical time bomb.

In less than two weeks I'll be bringing my '06 K12s in for its 12K service check. One thing I mentioned to the dealer (BMW of Denver) was that I have the cam chain rattle thing going on and what, if anything, can be done to rectify this. I've read some threads stating that it shouldn't be done if the bike has >10K miles.

What to do......what to do....

·
Registered
752 Posts
spanky said:
I've read some threads stating that it shouldn't be done if the bike has >10K miles.
Some believe that, not going to start the debate again. But if your bike has the old-style tensioner and rattles on startup then I would have it replaced. As you are probably aware from reading the threads there are concerns that the cam drive is not exactly of the err, most robust design and while no one really knows whether the cam chain noise on startup issues has anything to do with the failures it would in any event seem that such constant stress on every startup certainly can't help. If you have the noise on startup problem I'd get the tensioner update, the sooner the better.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
smiller said:
.......If you have the noise on startup problem I'd get the tensioner update, the sooner the better.

Is there a service bulletin number I can reference when I speak to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
spanky said:
Is there a service bulletin number I can reference when I speak to the dealer?
Service Bulletin # 1100208 (034) RR

"It is strongly recommended that the new style tensioner NOT be installed on engines with more than 12,000 miles"

Not only should you replace the tensioner / reservoir you should also replace the chain itself to be on the safe side. And make sure beyond a shadow of doubt that they check the bolts holding the sprocket and flange assembly to the cam shaft. Have them replace, re torque and loctite the bolts.

I've been slammed busy the last couple of months so I haven't been bitching too much about my bike still being in the shop....again...but it's been there for well over a month now. Beaudry did such a shit job rebuilding my machine that I'm having Big Sky go over it with a fine tooth comb now. In just the first 7 months of this year my bike has been out of service for almost 5 of them. Argh.

I'm having the timing chain replaced.....2500 miles after the dumb asses rebuilt my engine. Should have been done then. The valves are also WAY out of whack. Surprise surprise! Shims being ordered. Also doing the oil pump chain....and rear drive seals And while I'm at it a new clutch. 42k miles so why not.

So 42k miles or so into a $22k + machine and I've sunk at least another $10k into it....and growing. At this point it's going to pretty much be a new machine from top to bottom! :wtf: :hanged :boom: :banghead:

I'm hoping that at the very least I have a machine that I can get out on this fall and ride for a few weeks and put 10 or 20 thousand miles on it or so. I am SOO do for a serious.....trouble free....road trip. It's been way too long. :(

·
Registered
2000 K12RS, 16 KTM 1290SA
16 Posts
So for 15 years I've been riding BMW's and singing their praises. NO MORE!

Hiking in Death Valley today I come back to the trail head, get on the bike hit the ignition and it starts up making the noise like it used to before I had the cam reservoir changed. (It hasn't made that noise in the 2 years since).....Only a LOT worse, and it doesn't go away. Over the next 15 seconds or so it gets even worse and sounds like the engine is going to fly apart. In that time frame I managed to ride about 100 feet. The yellow caution comes on and goes to red. Then the bike just dies. It will turn over but doesn't fire. Trust me when I tell you that this isn't a noise that you ever want to hear.

So I spend the next several hours hitch hiking, waiting at the visitor center for the tow and being very pissed off. No rooms any where in the valley. No rooms in Pharump either. But I had a room in Beatty. But the bike will need to go to Vegas. What to do....can't tow it to Beatty, can't stay in Pharump. ARGH!!!! I have gear sitting in a hotel already in Beatty. OH man now I'm ready to shoot some body.

Only silver lining was that the tow driver was very cool and took me all the way to Vegas. And his son, for 100 bucks is driving 200+ miles round trip to pick up my things from the room in Beatty, and dropping them off here in Vegas. AAA and some very cool people to the rescue.

We took the flat bed right to BMW Las Vegas and dropped the bike right in front of their service entrance. They were closed by the time I got to cell service but I left them a message. Hopefully I will at least hear something tomorrow.

So now I'm holed up in Vegas with a dead bike that could be REAL spendy to fix. Not to mention that it didn't sound like it was going to be a quick fix. It's already cost me an arm and a leg and too much aggravation.

If any of you guys have any ideas of what the hell could go bad quick like that, I'm all ears. I'm typing from a hotel machine but I'll check back and let every one know when I can.

Signed.....VERY pissed in Vegas. (and not even the good part of Vegas....)
Sounds like it's time for a new bike.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Adashi...you responded to a post made 10 years ago.

I haven't read all the 19 pages of posts but I'm guessing he took your suggestion or fixed it in the past 10 years.
hahahaha

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like time for a new bike to me....but then the K is so hard to beat - what would you choose? Not surprised you are basically re-building it.

Good luck anyway

361 - 374 of 374 Posts