BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last September I bought my 07 GT. I called my dealer to schedule a 600 mile service, and I discovered they no longer sell BMW! :yeow: They can do basic service, but nothing electronic.

So, I call another dealer nearby, and tell them I am needing a service appointment, and that I am having some abrupt throttle issues. First question he asks is "did you buy the bike from us". I told him no, it was bought from another dealer who no longer carries BMW. He then tells me that since I did not buy it from him, he will have to put a tech on the bike to verify if there is a problem, and he was reluctant to put too much time into that?

I ended the conversation by saying that this is a well doccumented issue, and I would be surprised if it were not immediately noticeable to his tech, and that regardless of where thebike was purchased...BMW should make it right.

Any tips on how to handle this??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Notify BMWNA. That's not acceptable.

I can see the dealer's possible point, if there isn't a problem then they have expended x hours of time for which you might be reluctant to pay. However, as a dealer they are responsible for providing service to BMW bikes, including warranty service which is what I suspect will be your case. For that they are compensated by BMW.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If I were the dealer I would have asked you why you have only put 600 miles on the bike in 8 months? :confused: :wtf:

Just be nice to them and build a relationship with that dealer. Then worry about any issues you might have with the bike. They should be looking at it as a way of earning all the business from the other dealers loss.

As for notifying BMWNA I would only use that as a last resort. Last thing you want to do is take a hard line and piss them off. I would never want a disgruntled tech / employee / dealer working on my bike. Take the high road and let them know you'll be spending money with them in the future.

·
Registered
102 Posts
8 mo., 600 mi.? I didn't even look at that! Wow, poor guy.

Robert, you are certainly more diplomatic than I and make a very strong point. A good relationship with the dealer is certainly important. I tend to get feisty about poor service because I was a field service engineer for 10 years and have developed high standards based on my own conduct.

That being said, a properly working GT won't garner the dealer a lot of service revenue. These bikes run forever with virtually no maintenance required. And if our man is only logging 1000 mi/yr...

Jeff

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robert_W said:
If I were the dealer I would have asked you why you have only put 600 miles on the bike in 8 months? :confused: :wtf:

Just be nice to them and build a relationship with that dealer. Then worry about any issues you might have with the bike. They should be looking at it as a way of earning all the business from the other dealers loss.

As for notifying BMWNA I would only use that as a last resort. Last thing you want to do is take a hard line and piss them off. I would never want a disgruntled tech / employee / dealer working on my bike. Take the high road and let them know you'll be spending money with them in the future.

I have 1,300 on it. Not much better, but in my defense it was a brutal winter in Chicago this year.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Robert_W said:
Amen, to that. I purchased my bike from one dealer and mow I am using another dealer for the minor work done( warranty recall), but I became a good cusatomer by buying a suit and heated vest etc. When I had a possuble issue, they looked at it promptly even tho they were not going to make any money on that look see.
Cultivate your new dealer and you will be rewarded!!!!

·
Lieu
139 Posts
eng943 said:
I have 1,300 on it. Not much better, but in my defense it was a brutal winter in Chicago this year.
You should have several options with dealerships in the Chicago area. I'm not sure which dealer you originally bought from that went out of business, but there is TAG in St. Charles, Motorwerks in Barrington, Chicago BMW, plus several more in the southern WI area. I would take your business elsewhere and make sure the "jerk" dealer knows he has lost the potential for future business.

·
Registered
353 Posts
eng943 said:
I ended the conversation by saying that this is a well doccumented issue, and I would be surprised if it were not immediately noticeable to his tech, and that regardless of where thebike was purchased...BMW should make it right.

I would schedule the routine service, and take it from there. Be sure they document your report of throttle issues. If they update the software, the issue may just go away. If you experience high idle (different from nervous throttle, or BBS, but often associated), then call them and ask them to tow the bike in, as it isn't rideable in that condition (which I believe is a true statement).

High idle is a little more difficult to verify than nervous throttle, as it happens irregularly to most people, but the symptoms can not be interpreted as 'normal' behavior. Becuase this bike has 152 ponies, throtlle control is a little different than many other bikes, so the cause of nervous throttle is open to interpretation.

Be respectful, but persistent. Try not to show any frustration, no matter how maddening the situation, but don't go away, either. If they are sandbagging, just come back again and say it's still happening. If they don't respond after a few tries, go to a different dealer. If you show them a willingness to leave a few dollars at their dealership, they will have to regret not having kept you there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Falconfire said:
You should have several options with dealerships in the Chicago area. I'm not sure which dealer you originally bought from that went out of business, but there is TAG in St. Charles, Motorwerks in Barrington, Chicago BMW, plus several more in the southern WI area. I would take your business elsewhere and make sure the "jerk" dealer knows he has lost the potential for future business.
Actually TAG is the dealer that no longer sells BMW. I may try Gina's in Iowa City.

·
Lieu
139 Posts
eng943 said:
Actually TAG is the dealer that no longer sells BMW. I may try Gina's in Iowa City.
Wow, I did not know that. I used them to buy my BMW apparel. As far as I knew, they were the only BMW apparel dealer in the area! :confused:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Falconfire said:
Wow, I did not know that. I used them to buy my BMW apparel. As far as I knew, they were the only BMW apparel dealer in the area! :confused:
I was sorry to see it happen. Kent was a great guy among a couple other people there. Unfortunately, the owner has a serious lack of personal skills.

·
Registered
75 Posts
eng943 said:
I bought my GT from Tag Sport, as well. I suggest you give BMW of Milwaukee a try. I've been there for tires and some routine service and bought a Comfort Shell suit from them. They have been knowledgeable, friendly and professional and have earned my business from this point on. They're not exactly "around the corner" for those of us in northern IL, but it's worth the trip, in my opinion.

·
Registered
650 Posts
GTJeff said:
8 mo., 600 mi.? I didn't even look at that! Wow, poor guy.

Robert, you are certainly more diplomatic than I and make a very strong point. A good relationship with the dealer is certainly important. I tend to get feisty about poor service because I was a field service engineer for 10 years and have developed high standards based on my own conduct.

That being said, a properly working GT won't garner the dealer a lot of service revenue. These bikes run forever with virtually no maintenance required. And if our man is only logging 1000 mi/yr...

Jeff
These bikes run forever with virtually no maintainance problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what F---in planet have you been on???

·
Registered
365 Posts
Dadicool59 said:
These bikes run forever with virtually no maintainance problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what F---in planet have you been on???

It all depends on how lucky you are, my '07 GT uses tires every 6500-7000 miles, gas (oh! wait you need that to run), and that has been it since I got it Dec 06. no BBS no HI, It had a sensitive throttle, gone once you adjust the excess slack out of the cables.

Really mine has been problem free. (knock on wood!)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dadicool59 said:

Here's what I have at 8500 miles: factory specified maint (break in service + oil changes). Front tire is coming due. Goes in next week for the BBS treatment.
-no valve jobs
-no chain/sprocket stuff
-no extraneous wobbly crap

I usually ride on the big blue one, 3rd orbit from the big bright thing in the middle:hysterica.

Jeff

·
Registered
41 Posts
eng943 said:
I was sorry to see it happen. Kent was a great guy among a couple other people there. Unfortunately, the owner has a serious lack of personal skills.
That would be an understatement.

FWIW, they're no longer servicing BMW at all, as far as I can tell. I believe Kent has gone to some outfit in Naperville.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't believe that I should have to earn the dealers respect or the "right" for them to touch my expensive bike. If they don't want to earn my business, they can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

I'll gladly take a rode trip for the right dealer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
eng943 said:
Last September I bought my 07 GT. I called my dealer to schedule a 600 mile service, and I discovered they no longer sell BMW! :yeow: They can do basic service, but nothing electronic.

So, I call another dealer nearby, and tell them I am needing a service appointment, and that I am having some abrupt throttle issues. First question he asks is "did you buy the bike from us". I told him no, it was bought from another dealer who no longer carries BMW. He then tells me that since I did not buy it from him, he will have to put a tech on the bike to verify if there is a problem, and he was reluctant to put too much time into that?

I would not call BMWNA only if you really have to. I call them for a problem I had with my dealer and they send a report to the dealer, they used that report against me and they refuse to do guaranty work for me because I complained. There is no competition with dealers there is not enough of them and they know it. BMWNA dose not do anything but cause you problems. I am using my last dealer in my area and they are good to me. I like BMWs and wish to keep within the brand as long as this dealer works for me. Be nice and build a relationship with them is the easier and nicer way to do business. Good luck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts