BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything else on the switch works, cruise, blinkers, windshield. I checked to make sure that the wire was plugged into horn, it is.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not same gen as your bike, but I had similar problem last week on 2005 K12GT.... horn worked the previous time I used it, but not when I really needed it! :boom:
Checked fuses, pulled panels and checked all the wiring... then I noticed the horn switch wasn't quite sitting right... the end you press had jumped slightly out of its position, enough so a normal press couldn't activate the horn.
Pressed hard on the end of the switch and popped it back into place.... horn fixed... phew. :wtf:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pull the panel and check your wires - chances are the horn is dead… Would be a nice time to upgrade to a Stebel horn - just sayin' :D

Jeff G.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Check the switch first like CWS said. Cranking the bars around and hitting a tankbag could dislodge it. If it's good there simply put a meter on the connector at the horn and check for juice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, a firm push on the horn button put it "back in place". All is now well in my world.

:clap:

·
Registered
57 Posts
My horn doesn't work so well either.

It makes noise.....but not very effective when I rarely use it. Seriously thinking about a stebble horn.

I don't use my horn out of frustration. When I let her rip, it is to communicate a safety issue.

Is the stebble the most effective horn to put on my K1300GT?

·
Registered
166 Posts
EricS said:
My horn doesn't work so well either.

It makes noise.....but not very effective when I rarely use it. Seriously thinking about a stebble horn.

I don't use my horn out of frustration. When I let her rip, it is to communicate a safety issue.

Is the stebble the most effective horn to put on my K1300GT?

It will make the cager shit themselves :D Very pleased with the upgrade - when you need to "communicate" it does the job!

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
I ran the Stebel Nautilus on my GT for many miles. It's a tight fit (I put mine under the right side fairing, as I had HID ballasts under the left side), but it worked well.

The upside is that it's loud. Dämn loud. No, even louder than that.

The downsides are that it's big, so fitting it up under the fairing panels is tight. It takes a lot of power, and requires a 30 amp dedicated circuit and relay. And there is a slight delay as the air pump spools up. But then, look out!

Some riders have instead gone with one (or even two) "conventional" style horns, just using a much better quality, and much louder, model. These fit in much easier, and can usually be run off the stock wiring without any mods.

The Hella Supertone and the Fiamm Freeway Blaster are popular choices, although there are many others.

Here is a review of aftermarket horns by WebBikeWorld. Ignore their bitching about the Stebel failures. I've never and any issues with the Nautilus, and neither have the vast majority of riders. The rest of the article has pretty good info.

Just another option to consider. :)

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
For those of us with 2006-2008 K1200GT models, you can buy a horn guard from Wunderlich.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/8500247.html

Here is a photo of it installed:
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=WA&Product_Code=8500247&Screen=SCRNSHOT&scrnshot_offset=2

I bought one many years ago, after blasting my horn in a friend's condo neighborhood at 5:00 AM while making a U-turn in his driveway. It does its job perfectly. It is simple. It does not interfere with using the horn.

The drawbacks are:

* It uses the left handlebar's accessory mirror mount hole. I had a Techmount GPS mount there, so I moved it to the right handlebar mirror mount hole.

* K1300GTs and above do not come with the necessary mirror mount hole. Do not bother ordering one, it won't work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ken,

Thanks for the link to the article. It gave some good info. I hadn't heard about the slight delay with the Steble, definitely something to be aware of.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News has an excellent article (do they publish any other kind?) comparing several aftermarket horns. I get the print subscription and read it there.

I searched on the web, and found these links, but I do not know whether MCN approves or these are blatant copyright violations:

http://www.motorcycleconsumernews-digitalmagazine.com/mcnews/april_2014d?pg=28#pg28

http://mobileservices.texterity.com/mcnews/april_2014d?pg=28#pg28

From a copyright perspective, they don't fully pass my sniff test. For one, why are there two identical sites with names that don't match MCN's own website name?

It is also possible that I can see it but you can't. Perhaps I validated my access long-ago due to my paid subscription. I really don't know.

·
Registered
137 Posts
EricS said:
Ken, Thanks for the link to the article. It gave some good info. I hadn't heard about the slight delay with the Steble, definitely something to be aware of.
I had also read someone's post about a slight delay with the Stebel Nautilus....... I put one on the K12GT (2005) anyway, and kept the OEM horn attached as well so I get triple-tone... I don't notice ANY delay whatsoever between the horns.. except when the damn switch popped out of place and I had nothing! :wtf:

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
I have my OEM horn and the Stebel all go on at the same time. I do not see a delay , and I checked it out this AM. Scared the beejesus out of a little old lady trying to cut in my lane of the local freeway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
XMagnaRider, thanks for the article reference from just a few issues ago.

CWS and LarryKay, thanks for the specific feedback on Steble delay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is not my imagination but Did not BMW have trouble with their buttons on K-bikes and they started replacing them. Does anybody recall?(so to speak)

·
Registered
357 Posts
grinnbarit said:
It is not my imagination but Did not BMW have trouble with their buttons on K-bikes and they started replacing them. Does anybody recall?(so to speak)
That was specific to the 13gt (and other bikes that had the newer styled switches). The 12 never really had a problem with them malfunctioning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts