BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I live in a western suburb of Chicago. I've been riding for 30+ years, mostly BMW, Moto Guzzi and Harley. My current bikes include a '94 K1100RS and '08 Harley Ultra Classic. It's an odd mix but I like option of taking spirited rides on the RS or two-up cruises with my wife on the Harley.

I rode just over 8,000 miles this year, mostly on the weekend. The majority of my local rides and trips are solo. Groups stop too much and club politics just ain't my thing.

Thanks for having me. :2beers:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kind of know the feeling about the clubs.... except the group I just hooked up with locally rides the same way I do and so far NO POLITICS.

I have logged quite a few miles this year solo because most of the guys I see at work that ride don't want to ride 250 to 400 miles plus in a day to make a trip, and will not camp out. Hotels and diners for them. Tents and Boil-in-bag for me.

Welcome.

·
Registered
153 Posts
the up side of a group

No drama or politics in our local BMW MOA. Though they do stop at every stinking convenience store along the route, it's true. I have never been able to figure out why. Can't seem to help themselves. On the other hand, the Bionic Freckle and I like to go to the monthly breakfast meeting just to jawbone with the crew and admire all the steel parked outside. Once breakfast is over, we go our own ride..It also gives you a pool of people to call on for this or that. For example, when I bought this K75 to bring back from the grave, I asked the group who had a Clymers they could loan out, and bingo one of them delivers it to my door. Conversely, when one of them breaks down, I am the club EMT (Emergency Motorcycle Transport). They call me and I run out with the trailer and fetch them back. I am also keeper of the club's GS911 code reader. I play handball tonight with an MOA member who, far as I know, I have never ridden with.

Western suburbs of Chicago? I bought my KLR650 from a guy who lived in, what, Elgin, I think it was. It was February and full of snow; so I found a fellow MOA member who had a brother lives in Schaumburg who took delivery for me. Then in April I flew to O'Hare, just a skip away, and rode her back here to Dull-Aware.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ocelot said:
No drama or politics in our local BMW MOA. Though they do stop at every stinking convenience store along the route, it's true.
I have a couple friends who join me on trips. That's about the extent of my group riding. We share similar riding styles and preferences.

I was an MOA member many years ago. The national rallies were nice. I attended one of the Chicago chapter's meetings. Met some nice folks, including Ted Strobl, a master (boxer) tuner from Germany. I learned a lot from him.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
inline3 said:
Beauty bike! Welcome!
Thanks.

I've owned it for 12 years. It has 34K miles and has never given me a single problem. Tagsport BMW (now closed) painted the lower fairing a few years ago to remove rock chips. The bike looks and runs like new. With the exception of a Corbin seat and Ram mount for my GPS, it is completely stock.

These photos were taken during a Lake Superior circle tour last summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts