BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered my new Piaa 1100X's, arriving soon, good price (new). Whole kit $169. . Is there anything I should know ahead of time as to hook-up??. I was thinking of the fork mount (middle of front wheel), but my buddy said I would get a better dispersion of light if they were mounted higher (under front headlight area by radiator). Plus, is the
"Cycle Gadget" switch (for the turn signal cancel switch, already purchased) tricky to hook up??. Just thought I would ask of those that have already done this upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
1200GTosprey said:
I have just ordered my new Piaa 1100X's, arriving soon, good price (new). Whole kit $169. . Is there anything I should know ahead of time as to hook-up??. I was thinking of the fork mount (middle of front wheel), but my buddy said I would get a better dispersion of light if they were mounted higher (under front headlight area by radiator).
Does your kit include mounting brackets, or do you still need to buy those separately? I agree with your buddy -- IMO up higher is better, for several reasons. For instance, up higher, you have the option to aim them high to supplement your high beam or low to supplement your low beam.

The most difficult part of the installation, for me, was removing and reinstalling the plastic. If you bought a Cyclegadgets kit, it'll include excellent installation instructions.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Up high. On the forks (mounted on or near the calipers) they can pick up a lot of road gunk especially during or after a rain. Tucked under the front cowl is great for the 1100's. Also, I have used the turn signal cancel switch, but I decided to wire the PIAAs into my high beam switch, along with my high beam modulator. The PIAA on/off switch is mounted (superglue works well for years) on the left control's inner side, so that I can hit the button with my thumb. All this allows you to use your PIAAs by turning on the high beams.

Mounting them higher also eliminates some of the road glare from wet surfaces at night.

Remember its good practice to turn off the high beam whenever you start your bike, if you have the PIAAs wired this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
detour said:
Does your kit include mounting brackets, or do you still need to buy those separately? I agree with your buddy -- IMO up higher is better, for several reasons. For instance, up higher, you have the option to aim them high to supplement your high beam or low to supplement your low beam.

The most difficult part of the installation, for me, was removing and reinstalling the plastic. If you bought a Cyclegadgets kit, it'll include excellent installation instructions.

Good luck.
Thanks so quickly for the inputs. OK, I will try to put them up higher, but, the installations I have seen (under the headlight, tucked up above radiator) will I not get better "side veiw" lighting if they are more exposed?. Like, maybe somewhere up on tupperware near turn signals?. But, I do NOT want to screw up anything like turbulence at high speed riding. I am good at making up homemade mounts from strap aluminum, etc... . Vibration is also a factor. Appreciate the input, hopefully more will come in before they (the lights) get here. Look forward to posting pics of my own design LED brake light. A little different then "Lite Buddy's" that I am sure will get the cages that are behind me attention.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
PIAA under oil cooler :cool:

Those PIAA 1100 shed alot of very bright! light. Tucked under oil cooler (sit very close to side panels) I can testify that they will shed plenty of light to to left and right sides of the road and are still aimed lower than BMW high beam on my K1200 RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Aux lights serve two purposes- to light up the road ahead during the night, and to make you more visible to cagers during the day. There is a study somewhere that concluded a light "triangle" is far better than a light "bar"- that is, having lights in a triangular formation makes you more visible and allows others to guage your distance better. Lights in a "bar" pattern, where they are almost the same height across the front of the bike, make it hard for cagers to discern your distance. Harleys have them across because, well, the higher the chrome the brighter the shine, I suppose. But triangles work well. And your PIAAs are more a pinpoint than a spread of light. You wont be unhappy.
 

·
"Hey Y'all"
Joined
·
2,239 Posts
Nope .........

1200GTosprey said:
........... I have seen (under the headlight, tucked up above radiator) will I not get better "side veiw" lighting if they are more exposed? ............
Under the oil cooler works great. These are Optilux fog lights, but about the same size as the PIAAs. This pic shows that the side illumination isn't blocked by the fairing.

Welcome to the un-Dark side.:)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
You said you paid $169 for the whole package. Where did you buy it? What does the package include? I am wanting to do the same thing but Cycle Gadgets sells the entire package for $300 with the Autoswitch at an additional $28.
Thanks for the info!

David
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Piaa lights...

DaMu said:
You said you paid $169 for the whole package. Where did you buy it? What does the package include? I am wanting to do the same thing but Cycle Gadgets sells the entire package for $300 with the Autoswitch at an additional $28.
Thanks for the info!

David
I have sent you a private message. Anyone else that would like to know please send me private message thru K-Bikes. Excellent site!.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Piaa lights....

1200GTosprey said:
I have sent you a private message. Anyone else that would like to know please send me private message thru K-Bikes. Excellent site!.
Go to: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...30-7257550?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=15684181
For info on good price.
As explained to some other members, this kit does not include the brackets for the Beemer , or the wiring harness specific for our bikes. But, for $150. I am sure that we are all intelligent enough to figure out a bracket, and I am sure the wiring that is included with kit will suffice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Piaa light post.......

P.S. sorry, guys (and gals?) I am a computer dummie. I did not know how to "cut and paste" a web site address until my nerdy friend explained it to me. I guess it worked.
Should I shut up now??. Hope it helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
You could still order just the mount from Cyclegadgets if you don't have the means to make your own.

Cyclegadgets has the bracket for $49.95, you'd still be way ahead of the game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Negative feedback

Appears to be substantial negative feedback on the supplier (Express Auto Parts).

Feedback Count:
Lifetime - 56
Positive - 61%
Neutral - 5%
Negative - 34%

Caveat emptor...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Negative???.....

jcd5z said:
Appears to be substantial negative feedback on the supplier (Express Auto Parts).

Feedback Count:
Lifetime - 56
Positive - 61%
Neutral - 5%
Negative - 34%

Caveat emptor...
Express Auto Parts is NOT the one I mentioned. The "top" one is the one I mentioned.
85% approval rating. Tell you what, all you guys wait until I get mine next week, then I will post whether they were shipped satisfactorily. What's the matter?, you pissed cause you paid $300??.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
If someone's looking for Ezy Mount brackets, I just listed mine in the classifieds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Piaa lights.....revisited....

After some more reading/research........am I under the understanding that the new Piaa lights will not fit "up under" by radiator with the aftermarket Fiam horns I have purchased
but not installed yet??. Little help from the experts please. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
check out the attached PDF file It shows you that shows how to make the brackets for the lights. I used it on my 04 GT and it really looks good. I also used a Autoswitch from Cycle Gadget. If you print the file out the brackets are the exact size on the paper so you can cut them out and use them as a pattern. I made mine out of aluminum. and painted them black when I was done.

I would look to move the horns, rather then due without the lights.

I didn't make up the file I copied it off the internet.
 

Attachments

·
"DELIVERS"
Joined
·
870 Posts
1200GTosprey said:
After some more reading/research........am I under the understanding that the new Piaa lights will not fit "up under" by radiator with the aftermarket Fiam horns I have purchased
but not installed yet??. Little help from the experts please. Thanks.
I have both the Fiamm's and PIAA's with EZ-mounts on my '04 GT....the second horn mounts behind the first (which replaces the stock horn)....both mounted to an extended bracket easily made with bar stock...very happy with the results.
 

·
Looking for better limits...
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top