BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myrtle Beach's government has recently announced that it does not want any motorcycle rallies to be held in the city. It has enacted numerous ordinances and rules to make rallies unworkable. Here is the city's website on the issue: http://myrtlebeachbikerinfo.com/message.html

I'm no fan of cruiser / chopper rallies. I'm less a fan of any city or facility that doesn't like motorcycles. My recommendation - avoid the city at all costs - boycott the place.

Similarly, in Virginia, Wintergreen, a large, mountain top ski / golf facility prohibits bikes except for property owners. Yes, it is private, which makes it different. Same with The Greenbrier in West Virginia - no motorcycles.

Back to Myrtle Beach - I had little use for the Redneck Riviera and now have no use.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From Myrtle Beach FAQs

"Your motorcycle must have a functioning muffler and you will not be allowed to make excessive noise. At idle, motorcycles and other vehicles may be no louder than 89 decibels. You will need to present your license, registration and proof of insurance at all traffic checkpoints, which will be more common beginning in 2009. These checkpoints also may include noise measurements."

Gee, that would make going there fun - police checkpoints - Checkpoint Charlie - "Pete, your K1200S is too loud. You're under arrest."

·
Registered
22 Posts
"The City of Myrtle Beach passed restrictive ordinances targeting the May rallies, which brought tens of thousands of visitors (tourist) to the city. The City of Myrtle Beach has never been a sponsor or host of Bike Week. These new ordinances apply ONLY inside the City Limits of Myrtle Beach.

*** There are no events (vendors) inside the city limits.
*** All events (vendors) are outside the city in Horry County, Murrells Inlet or North Myrtle Beach.

No Events Cancelled -- All Outside the City of Myrtle Beach
As many of you have heard or received information on the events being cancelled. Not exactly true – The events will take place in the County and surrounding Counties just not inside of the City of Myrtle Beach. The City of Myrtle Beach has begun a media campaign designed to deter the respectable, law abiding motorcycle enthusiast from coming to the area. There are businesses inside the City limits of Myrtle Beach that do support and welcome Motorcycle Enthusiast. The City of Myrtle Beach can’t stop you from visiting and supporting the businesses that support Bike Week. Looking forward to seeing everyone again in 2009." Internet source; http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since they are pressing ahead with events both north and south of Myrtle Beach many riders will still travel through town. It will be interesting to hear how it goes and the attitudes of police towards the law abiding riders. I have been to this rally for years and will not be near there this year.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Pete,

Thanks for the info. I was looking at putting together a route south this summer. I guess Myrtle Beach is not interested in attracting people with disposable income during these hard times. Can you think of a group of people you would not want to alienate. People who pay 18 to 20 grand (BMW or Harley) on toys to travel the country for the hell of it.

Now that I think about it, I never really wanted to go the Myrtle Beach anyway. If I wanted to see a thousand cheap T-Shirt shops and mass produced Salt water taffy I would go to Wildwood NJ :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Greenbriar - Good to Go

Pete, I was under the same impression about the Greenbriar for many years - no bikes wanted.

On a lark, I called earlier this year and found out that bikes are allowed!

Just made reservations for three nights in May and once again confirmed that motorcycles are allowed on the property. They even said that indoor parking could be arranged.

So, me and the Mrs. will be making our first visit to this landmark aborad a K1200GT! We'll file a report when we return.

Charlie
2007 K1200GT

·
Registered
9 Posts
Personally, I like their position on things. I get freaking tired of bikes running around here with pipes so loud that they hurt ears and totally disrupt the environment. If the incoming bikers had been considerate of others things would not have come to this. It is their fault that the changes are now in place. If I had to work, sleep and live around that noise all year long and especially during the spring and summer, I would be thrilled at the changes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My in-laws have a winter place in N.Myrtle Beach. As you enter the property there is a sign in plain site that says "No motorcycles allowed on property" and something about a fine, etc. I try not to take it personally because I am one of those law-abiding bike riders. But in the same breath it pisses me off that obviously someone has ruined it at some point for everyone. Sucks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, here's one that pisses me off. I just bought a place in Myrtle and I'm not allowed to have my bike on the premisiss....When looking at the place I was strickly told by the maintenance person that he hoped I was not a biker.... I almost told him that I hoped he was not an asshole.....Starting off on the right foot with this guy already......I have to park it off site across the street......It used to be if you were a home owner you could bring the bike on site............I'm not going to be there full time so I can live with it for now......I don't know if I can live with the maintenance man although.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Its been my experience as a rider for over 48 yrs that every Ralley group has trouble makers or if not that type some other dislikable activity seeker. I've ridden BMW for 44 yrs and loved them the most but can honestly say the BMWMOA rallies are the worst I've ever attended. I say that for two reasons; the costs to walk thru the gate and the attitude of the participants towards other brand riders. I personally have not seen that at other ralleys or bike events held by clubs or open events such as Daytona bike week or Sturges as well as many events held by local clubs. So don't be too quick to blame some others riding style for the dislike of bike ralleys in some cities.Those people live there for a reason just as you live where you do for a reason. They have a good idea of what they can live with or without and the power of the vote to keep it that way. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
"They have a good idea of what they can live with or without and the power of the vote to keep it that way. "

I may end up moving there. Its finally riding season in the Northeast. Every HD without real pipes was out trying to drive me nuts today. Since the police do not seem to want to enforce the noise ordnance I may have to seek silence in a bike free zone.

If these idiots keep up the racket most areas will vote motorcycles out completely.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I can relate to almost everything said. It seems the BMW crowd is a little snootie. I have only owned a bmw for a little over 3 years and that is when i really noticed that they don't accept others with open arms. I think the most accepting crowd are the sportbike riders, even if they are 12 year olds. They always seem so enthusiastic and most interested in what others ride and why others ride. The HD crowd seems to be a little rapped up in themselves. Probably the biggest group of poseurs, not that I blame all of them for the act of a few.

I live in an area where tons of riders come through to ride. I literally see hundreds and hundreds on the weekends. At times I grow tired of the loud bikes, especially the big twins. but my frustration won't change anything. sooo, i just live with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hypocrisy

If my memory serves me correctly....

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands. One nation, under god, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for ALL.

I'm no expert but surely there has to be some constitutional issues with this...

·
Registered
302 Posts
EM,

That's not really the way it works here anymore. It was a great thought, but now the government needs to protect us from everything, including ourselves :) . If our founding fathers saw these taxes (and fee's) they would cry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts