BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to order a new K1600GT. trading it in from my K1200Gt.
Last year i just bougt a Garmin Zumo 660. Does anyone know if this will fit in K1600Gt
They want to have me order a BMW Motorrad Navigator IV, but cant be sure if i can use my Zumo 660.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
The Zumo might fit physically, but it won't interface with the bike's controls. The Navigator IV has custom BMW firmware that allows those extra features.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Zumo 660

I think you may be OK with the Zumo 660. I would cancel the BMW and wait and see,you can allways add it later.
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
37 Posts
Navigation

I ordered mine about 4 weeks ago.
The dealer told me my 660 would fit/work in the new 1600

Erwin
Netherlands
K1300GT Red

·
Registered
246 Posts
Erwin said:
I ordered mine about 4 weeks ago.
The dealer told me my 660 would fit/work in the new 1600

Erwin
Netherlands
K1300GT Red
Breeman?

Like Mees says, won't work with the bikes controls, for it will require the BMW Nav IV software (just like the Nav IV cradle doesn't work with the Zumo 660).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spoke to the BMW guys at the London MCN show last week,
The 660 will get charge, and can be operated from the touch screen.
Every other integration with the bike will be missing.
Kverna, I`m a Norwegian member.
Would be interested in swapping info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know if they trade in/exchange
otherwise they've got a small problem :spank1:

What would a purchase price be of a 660 ?

;-)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Zumo 665 on my current 08' K1200GT. Brought it and the bike to Max BMW in Northampton, NH last Saturday. Tried the 665 in a K1600GT and it came on, touch screen works, but forget about the multi-function controller communicating with the 665. Nada!!

So I was wondering ( :confused: ) if anybody has heard if either the 665 or the K16GT can be "hacked" to allow the K16 to think the 665 is BMW friendly? That would be a wonderful solution so long as warranty and other helpful things don't get destroyed (especially on the bike).

Please ride safely!

Peter

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check the k1600forum.com...

The 660 and 665 will fit into the cradle, but (as already discussed) none of the integration with the bike will be available. I had a 550, so I upgraded to the NavIV, and everything works nicely with that unit.

There is no XM antenna, since the radio on the GT/L is Sirius, which means - if you have one - the weather subscription (radar overlay) you can have on the 665 won't work. Some guys left the cradle 'closed up' and instead installed the Garmin cradle with the XM antenna etc on the handlebars...

I remember reading (on k1600forum.com, in 'Accessories') that some folks have modified the OEM cradle, and there is a wiring diagram posted (CAUTION - Not official, but created by some dude!). Your best bet will probably be checking that forum for 'non-standard' solutions...

pfiedler said:
I have a Zumo 665 on my current 08' K1200GT. Brought it and the bike to Max BMW in Northampton, NH last Saturday. Tried the 665 in a K1600GT and it came on, touch screen works, but forget about the multi-function controller communicating with the 665. Nada!!

So I was wondering ( :confused: ) if anybody has heard if either the 665 or the K16GT can be "hacked" to allow the K16 to think the 665 is BMW friendly? That would be a wonderful solution so long as warranty and other helpful things don't get destroyed (especially on the bike).

Please ride safely!

Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts