BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a Nav II and am looking at a Nav III unit. I understand that the Nav III simply snaps into my II cradle and works. Is that the case?

Also, Nav III comes with a hard drive with the entire US loaded rather than a media card, right?

Anything else I should be concerned about in my exchange?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Nav III cradle

MikeM said:
Also, Nav III comes with a hard drive with the entire US loaded rather than a media card, right?
It's not a hard drive (no spinning platter) but yeah the Nav III has the whole US in it -- at least if you get the US model. If not, Garmin sells CDs with maps of a variety of regions, though they're kind of expensive.

I don't know about the Nav II -> Nav III update. The cradles look the same to me. I've thought about getting a StreetPilot 2820 for my wife (for the car) so we've got swappable units, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that there was a data rate issue with the cradle that meant the 2820 wouldn't work in the BMW cradle. I wish I could find the link -- might have been the Nav II cradle, or maybe BMW tweaked the Nav III so they could re-use the cradles?

Update: found the thread here. This would seem to suggest the Nav II and Nav III use the same cradle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts