BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you fellas and gals think about a gel/sheepskin seat pad for ld riding?
i know, i know my idea of ld riding prolly doesnt keep up with some of you but 10-12 hrs in the saddle total for a day. or 8-10
im thinking mainly for the super slab not twisties

thoughts? thanks in advance, steve
 

·
Addict
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
4 years ago I had a UK seat covering firm scoop out some foam in my stock seat, fit gel pads and recover like stock which transformed the seat and stopped a lot of back jarring from the suspension.

The only thing I would say if you choose this option, is make sure you have some solar reflective film laid over the pads before re-covering. If my bike sits in full sun without a cover for an hour or 2, the seat can get so hot I can't sit on it!

If I could have got and afford one of the decent aftermarkets seats in UK I would probably have gone for that.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
This might sound silly but it does help me on longer rides: try wearing a good pair of bicycling shorts under your riding pants instead of your tighty whities. Good cycling shorts have a large area of padded chamois right where you need it most. And: a lot cheaper than an aftermarket saddle :) Get them from a bike shop or a good supply house like Long's Cycle Supply (longscycle.com). Can personally vouch for the Giordana brand shorts.
Steve
1990 K75RT(standard stock saddle)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
da56panman said:
what do you fellas and gals think about a gel/sheepskin seat pad for ld riding?
i know, i know my idea of ld riding prolly doesnt keep up with some of you but 10-12 hrs in the saddle total for a day. or 8-10
im thinking mainly for the super slab not twisties

thoughts? thanks in advance, steve
Check out LDComfort undergarments. They are purpose-designed for long distance motorcycle riding. I have one set of longs and one set of shorts (pants and shirts). They are expensive, but oh so worth it. They are very durable - my set has lasted years and thousands of miles and still look like new. I wear them on all my long distance rides, including a few weeks ago, when I rode coast to coast in 45 hours. Good enough?

http://www.ldcomfort.com

I don't know anyone with significant long distance riding experience who doesn't use them. Bicycle shorts may be less expensive, but they are not the same.

You may also want to consider a custom-fitted seat. There are many different small companies that make them. I have a Rocky Mayer seat. http://www.billmayersaddles.com/

You asked about seat covers. I know people who use beadriders (beaded seat pads) for seat comfort on long rides. You might want to check them out too. I have never tried one.
 

·
Addict
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
stevemac829 said:
This might sound silly but it does help me on longer rides: try wearing a good pair of bicycling shorts under your riding pants instead of your tighty whities. Good cycling shorts have a large area of padded chamois right where you need it most. And: a lot cheaper than an aftermarket saddle :) Get them from a bike shop or a good supply house like Long's Cycle Supply (longscycle.com). Can personally vouch for the Giordana brand shorts.
Steve
1990 K75RT(standard stock saddle)

+++++++ on the cycle pants (Lycra), I started wearing them last year. But heavy leather riding pants also help. My problem was short city runs.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Addict-oholic
Joined
·
1,416 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
Check out LDComfort undergarments. They are purpose-designed for long distance motorcycle riding. I have one set of longs and one set of shorts (pants and shirts). They are expensive, but oh so worth it. They are very durable - my set has lasted years and thousands of miles and still look like new. I wear them on all my long distance rides, including a few weeks ago, when I rode coast to coast in 45 hours. Good enough?

http://www.ldcomfort.com

I don't know anyone with significant long distance riding experience who doesn't use them. Bicycle shorts may be less expensive, but they are not the same.

You may also want to consider a custom-fitted seat. There are many different small companies that make them. I have a Rocky Mayer seat. http://www.billmayersaddles.com/

You asked about seat covers. I know people who use beadriders (beaded seat pads) for seat comfort on long rides. You might want to check them out too. I have never tried one.
I also use the LD shorts for any day trips as it has no seams to chafe. I also take along bike shorts with the gel seat to switch off when I do a multiday trip.
And my Rich Mayer seat is so comfy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I am a person that rides good distance. I would have to say it all depends on conditions. If it is hot,cold,wet one or two up. I like sheep skin for the most part it helps me from sticking to the seat. I think that is the key to keep from getting monkey butt. :spank1: It is hard to enjoy your trip if you are in pain from the evil monkey.
 

·
Addict
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top