BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 12,000 service done on my 2004 K1200GT at the dealer yesterday.

When I got it back, I can feel a distinct vibration at idle that was not there before the service was performed. It is there at idle, but goes away at about 1,500 RPM.

I talked it over with the service advisor, the technicians that worked on the bike, and even the owner of the shop. They acknowledged that the vibration was there, and discussed everything they did for the service, and could not come up with any likely cause of the vibration suddenly showing up. They did say that if they had adjusted the valves this might be a cause, but they only checked the valves and found that they did not need adjusting.

They said they would be glad to take another look at the bike in the shop, but before I go to the trouble of taking it back in, getting another loaner, etc., I was wondering if anybody here has had this experience, or has any ideas.

This is the 3rd K-bike I've had (previous models were 2000 and 2002 K1200RS models), and I've not seen this problem before.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is that the plugs are changed at 12,000mi. Replace them again(1 could have a cracked insulator), also the plug wires possibly were not installed tightly or one was pulled on and broken internally.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Could Be A Crack In Insulator Like Brucecha Said...happen To Me....and It Would Not Do It Everytime....so Manytimes I Have Taken Bike In And Things Just Happen...best To Run It When You Take It In And Have A Svc Tech Wittness The Condition Of The Bike And How It Runs...and Bring It In Clean And Spotless!!!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
That's ok, although even with a dead plug the ECU will try to keep the motor at 1K. My money then is either on the plugs or they got some of the plastic back badly and the vibration seems worse coming through it.

I haven't worked it out yet, but last time I had my plastic off, I took more time putting it back, and some of my vibes have gone away. I think they were mainly around the pod area. Also there are some large rubber grommets on each side panel that can get left off easy. Just a thought, I assume the bike goes alright other than that?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
186 Posts
is it vibration or rough idle?

I believe you're describing a vibration being like a rough idle? Or a vibration from a panel rubbing or loose?

To address what you're experiencing, I believe it is not caused by a bad plug or cracked insulator or a plug wire that is not secure. ( or should I say most likely not). The engine would likely continue to be rough even above the 1500 rpm range in that case. This would indicate as a misfire and engine would feel like running on 3 cylinders. Upon snap thottle, it would stutter real bad.

Sounds like the "vibration" or "rough idle" in your case could possibly be a vacuum leak, perhaps a plug that was not properly gapped, or a tight valve. ( yes you did say they had not touched the adjustments, but are you "really" sure of that?). I believe these would likely cause what you're telling us. ( unlike a dead misfire)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Plastic bodywork or vacuum hose?

I agree with Voxmagna about the possibility that the plastic was not reinstalled correctly. It is easy to get it wrong the first time or two, possibly causing more vibration from the plastic bodywork.

Another possibility is that they accidentally disconnected one of the vacuum hoses. I hear this is a common thing, but I don't actually know exactly where they are located. (Does someone have a pic handy?)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I Brought My Bike In Once For Svc And They Did Find A Vacuum Hose Off...think It Had Something To Do With A Bad Clamp.?.....infact It Was My First Svc On The Bike....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts