BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front rotor (r) is discolored. Last year I mounted new brake pads on my 2002 KRS. Didn't need to, as it turned out, but I thought they had worn enough. New ones went in ok but when I remounted the front wheel there was friction from the ride side pads when I free-wheeled the front. I thought the pads just needed to be seated so that's what I did. Friction remained so I took her for a 100 mile ride and ran the front brakes hard from time to time. The right front rotor got HOT--the left front was only warm. Now I notice some discoloration on the right rotor and a shuddering (mild) during front braking--at lower speeds. I assume (rightly or wrongly) that I have heat-warped the rotor slightly. My questions:
1. Is is possible to tell if the rotor is distorted when I remove it--can you test it somehow?
2. Can the rotor be milled to reduce warping if it is mild?
3. How much can we remove from our rotors during the grinding/milling process?
4. Should I swallow the price of new rotors?

I took every precaution when remounting the front wheel--I've done it 4 other times for new rubber--bouncing the front shocks etc. It does seem the axle spacer will go on either way, but I can't remember the correct way and I don't see how it could make a difference anyway.

Self-inflicted damage for an unnecessary wrenching exercise. I am suitably humbled and would appreciate any advice anyone has on my above queries. My nearest dealer is 400 miles away and it's winter here (central Canada) so I have to get this right myself.
Thanks in advance.

'Red hot rotor' Pete

·
Registered
651 Posts
Sounds like a sticky caliper piston?

Were I in your place, I'd just spring for new rotors (or used ones still within spec), but I'd get that caliper on the right side front checked out before putting in the replacements.

It does seem the axle spacer will go on either way, but I can't remember the correct way and I don't see how it could make a difference anyway.
If you're referring to spacer orientation on the appropriate side, no, there is no difference which end of the spacer points in or out.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I would go with new rotor...if its bluish and discolored...you could do a run out check...but being so thin it could change under heat and load...as for the spacer...im not 100% pos on this but there should be a groove on one end of the spacer...i think that was put there to fling any crud from tracking into the seal and bearing....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts