BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 K1200 RS with 15000 miles on it. I got it 3 years ago with 5000 miles. The first owner obviously didnt ride it and didnt take real good care of it. I have two options I am thinking about. First is sinking $2000 into this bike. ABS doesnt work (dont know if servor or total unit), needs valve job, needs new low beam and who knows what else. It runs and rides well but it is still 12 years old.

Second option is looking for a good used bike. Looking at a '08 K1200S. I know it is more sporty than I need but they sure look good. I would use it mostly for weekend twisty riding and an occassional trek down the road of 400 -500 miles.''

So, do I sink money in an older bike that might need some TLC or put out the $8000 for a used S bike?

Opinions will be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
That KRS is plenty sporty. That KS is plenty sporty too and (in my opinion) dead sexy. If you like your RS and there's the chance that you will regret getting rid of it for an S that you may or may not like (but who doesn't like the S?) then you might as well fix the RS and keep riding it. It isn't like motorcycles wear out quickly, with care they generally last decades. You don't really ride that much if you only put 10,000 miles on in 3 years. I put on over 1,000 per month (2,500 since I got my KGT two months ago).

If your heart isn't in to fixing it you can sell the RS to someone who will. Not that I don't think your current version of RS looks bad but think they look better after the 2006 redesign (much like the GT) and moving to the wedge.

So fix the RS and continue to enjoy it or get an S and figure out if you like it or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts