BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 BMW 1200 RT and really love this bike but have always wanted a K bike.
Was at the dealer over the weekend and saw the new 1300 GT and fell in love with the bike.
My question is has anyone gone from a R bike to the K bikes and never looked back. I am worried about trading the RT for a GT and regretting doing this.
Please help me make a decision...
thanks

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
The dark side

Take a test ride and think about what is important to you. The GT has a more aggressive riding position. There are barbacks and other comfy items other GT riders have installed to deal with the position.

I went from a RT to GT and have been grinning ever since, got used to the position very quickly.

Welcome to the dark side.

·
Registered
230 Posts
WBallek
Hi neighbor. Go to one of our local dealers and see if you can take the bike for at least 1-2 hours and ride it everywhere you can (PCH, Angeles Crest/Angeles Forest, Big Bear, etc.). Another option is to go to L.B. BMW and see if you can rent one for the day. Rental cost is about $150 per day. That is the most cost effective way to see if the GT is for you. $150 a day is a drop in the bucket vs. thousands by making the wrong decision. I went the other way from my K1100RS with 72K miles and 11 years to an 04 RT for 6 months then to the 05 RT and I love it. My reasons for the change was more upright seating, comfort and protection from the elements, and the telelever front end. As you probably know the RT is a breeze to service yourself. Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
keithb said:
WBallek
Hi neighbor. Go to one of our local dealers and see if you can take the bike for at least 1-2 hours and ride it everywhere you can (PCH, Angeles Crest/Angeles Forest, Big Bear, etc.). Another option is to go to L.B. BMW and see if you can rent one for the day. Rental cost is about $150 per day. That is the most cost effective way to see if the GT is for you. $150 a day is a drop in the bucket vs. thousands by making the wrong decision...
+1 on the rental recommendation.

The only problem is that I'm not sure if anyone is renting KGTs.

A couple years ago, I was lookin' at Harleys. I made a deal with the rental place to rent two different motorcycles in one day for an additional $10 "cleanup fee". They were fun to ride, but not the bikes for me. In the end, I bought a K1200GT and never looked back.

I have two friends who rented bikes from Long Beach BMW last month. They had a great experience and gave LB BMW a big thumbs up.

·
Registered
531 Posts
my first bike was a R1150R which i rode for 3 months and 3300 miles before upgrading to a K1200RS. It was unbelievable how much more refined the KRS was and how i could do things on the KRS that i never dreamed I could do on the R1150R. the r1150r was a great starter bike but as soon as i left the delaers parking lot i forgot all about the r1150r and never looked back, never had a regret.

·
Registered
230 Posts
"The only problem is that I'm not sure if anyone is renting KGTs. "

I hear ya. It only takes a few minutes and a phone call to get the answer to this question.

W Ballek, let us know what you find out on the rental thing if you make the call. My first BMW was my K11RS which I rode for 11 years and loved it. So far I have resisted riding the new KGT for one reason only-fear of buying one. :teeth

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, I will find out if I can rent a 1300 GT. Waiting for a demo bike to ride. You are right Keith, after riding a new GT probably will want to sell my trusty RT :clap:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Not sure if your aware of this or not, but to BMW's credit they have the best demo policy of any manufacturer, and have offered weekend test rides. No need to rent

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a used R1150R as my first bike in 25 years and rode it hard and fast for 2 years. I loved that bike and thought that I would keep it for a long time....that is until a friend let me ride his 07 K1200GT........my R1150R was for sale the next day and as soon as I sold it I bought my friends GT........giggle giggle.....Oh my gosh it is like night and day. The GT is a much better machine and I would imagine that you will love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts