BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2003 k1200gt stock and warranty goes of in 09-01-06 and whant some info on hop ups to get more horse power or torqe or both perforable?

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
more hp

trade it in on a new one...with new warranty!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Rhinewest

I can highly reccomend the chip or the chip and cam gears upgrade from Rhinewest. If you have the mechanical capability check your valves and put the cam gear kit in at the same time.

Keep in mind that smart racers (those who win) consider total torque and hp as well as peak hp and torque. Look for power in the rpm range that you ride.
This is where real enjoyment begins.

When you find a vendor who can reasonably explain that they have a greater total torque and hp than the competitors you are probably in the right place.

·
Registered
828 Posts
one thing I have learned

whether it is in a car or on a bike... if you want to faster gotta speed money. I suggest buy a new bike! If you like the RS, then keep it and buy a rice rocket!

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
133 Posts
Answering your question rather than offering unsolicited advice, a Power Commander and Staintune exhaust netted me 122 RWHP and 81 ft. lbs. torque.

Is it worth the money? Your money, your decision.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
GPM said:
Power Commander and Staintune exhaust netted me 122 RWHP and 81 ft. lbs. torque.
hmmm....don't think he wants less torque than stock (85)....typo?

·
Registered
398 Posts
JDGT said:
I can highly reccomend the chip or the chip and cam gears upgrade from Rhinewest.
Have you installed them? If so, have you ever done a roll-on from 60mpg with another K1200RS/GT? I'm really interested in this kit but would like "real life" feedback.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info I really love my 2003 model and the way it looks and the riding position I dont like the look for the 2006. I like to ride in the 4000 to6000 rpm to keep it in the peppy range also have hit the 150 mph many times. Got a great little road to ride called river road from montrose ia. to nauvoo il. real good ups and downs with allot of cornering!

·
Registered
133 Posts
milkman said:
hmmm....don't think he wants less torque than stock (85)....typo?

That 85 is rated at the flywheel. The measured 81 is at the real wheel. San Jose BMW shows a stock KRS measuring 74.9 at the rear wheel.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
GPM said:
That 85 is rated at the flywheel. The measured 81 is at the real wheel. San Jose BMW shows a stock KRS measuring 74.9 at the rear wheel.
That's a healthy boost....I have the Staintune....how does the Power Commander effect the warranty?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had a bit of warranty work done, oil leak and a defective body panel. Both done during regular service appointments, when I had told them about the Power Commander.

I'd expect that unless you're seeking warranty work for a problem that may be attributed to the Power Commander, there shouldn't be a problem. But, I also imagine that it is highly dealer dependent.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Buy a new bike and save your money

If you really want more hp get a new bike.

You may disagree with the the assumptions below but the concept is right. Assuming everything is between any two bike is equal raw performancel comes down to hp/lbs.

Here is a way to think about this subject.

If you own a k1200rs which makes 130 hp for a 650lb bike that is .2 hp/lbs

If you were to own a 2006 honda rc51 you would have a bike that makes 133 hp for a 480lbs bike that is .28 hp/lbs.

If you wanted the k bike to have the same performance as the rc you would have to increase the hp to 180 hp or decrease the weight by 170lbs.

That would be a big increase in hp or a big decrease in weight.

If you increase the hp of the kbike by 10% that would only be an increase 13 hp which will still be much less than the sportsbikes.

If you want to stay with BMW do the calculations for the k1200s now you are starting to get close to sportbike performance.

Regards

Howard

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good idea Howard, thats when you need more than one bike.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.