BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 K1200GT that I have to put tires on this winter. I have metZ6 on now are the new tire better . Dual compound tire I don''t know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As I use mine mostly for touring and don't spend much time at the ragged edge of performance limits I like dual compound tires. Currently running Batlax BT021. Last set was BT020. BT021 is supposed to be a longer mileage tire but if it is I don't think it's longer by very much as the wear seems to be very similar. I got about 15,000 kms out of the BT020s. Grip appears to be about the same on both sets ... more than adequate for spirited fun riding but not up to the task of heavily grinding pipes and pegs on the tarmac.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I ride it like I stole it. I gave up trying to replace the foot peg nut/ bolts I had ground down or broken of so many.

I use Mich. Pilot Road 2. I have 10,000 miles on the front and it is still on.

the rear had a flat at 4,000 and I put on a Mich Pilot Power but I ony get 4-5,000 on them. I wore it out and put on the Mich Pilot Road 2 but only have 2,000 miles.

I this the Pilot Road 2 is the way to go.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Another vote for PR2.

I got 8500 miles out of the front PR2, compared to 6200 for a Roadsmart.

The rear Roadsmart went 9500 and the rear PR2 should go 12000 miles.

If you are ready to buy, Motorcycle-Superstore.com has them on sale. I bought a new front PR2 from them last month for $134.99 delivered, which I thought was a great deal, but today that tire is $118.99. Always my luck.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Yep, another vote for me too, got some pretty good milleage out of a set of PR, switching to PR2 soon, but I am biased, my Dad was a Michelin dealer....! :thumb:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Like Bazra, I ride like I stole it. I have my pegs as high as they will go, and the 'bars with sport mounts - thats the looooow ones. I have raised the back of the bike 10mm curtesy of Ohlins [God bless Ohlins :clap: ] have almost no chicken strips :D Don't even ask about the hero pegs under the foot rests..... :rotf: In New Zealand our roads are mainly chip and seal - thats those flesh eating, gear destroying, tyre chewing LARGE stones set in bitumen. You DON'T wanna come off on those :yeow:
I have run Michelin PR on the rear (9000km) and Pilot Power on the front (10000km) for the last 6 years. I have just purchased my 2nd PR2 for the rear after 14500km from the first PR2 :clap: . Totally impressed! Riding on the last 10% was great, and only changed it 'cos it was worn to the wear indicators. :) I can honestly say that the PR2 is a huge improvement if you like to ride at the edge, but still want good tyre life. But they are more expensive, so make sure your riding style justifies the extra cost.....
BTW, I tried a PR2 on the front and didn't like it - might have had something to do with old OEM shocks and stuffed wheel bearings at the time, but anyway, I like the Power as it is softer in all respects and still gives good mileage, is cheaper than a PR2 and gave the same mileage. The biggest mistake IMHO is to put a harder compound on the front than on the rear..... Its always better to have the rear let go a little as it is more controllable and predictable. When the front lets go, its a whole new ball game....

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
majicdoor said:
I have a 2004 K1200GT that I have to put tires on this winter. I have metZ6 on now are the new tire better . Dual compound tire I don''t know.
As far as a mileage tire (commute) with still great weekend stick....you cant beat the Z6 interact...As the weekends move along it will take more muscle to get into turns but great for the commute..I have gotten up to 12000 miles rear and my first frt ..(I cant believe it myself) but..got 18000 miles frt...but mostly around an average of 8-9000 miles for both...It looks like for every 10 lbs of belly fat you lose about 1000 miles on a tire :teeth

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had Michelin PR2s on for about a year after switching from Z6s. Very happy with them. In this generally cool, damp climate they offer a bit more grip, yet still give good mileage. I could get the rear Z6 to skip under power in heavy rain before, but never the PR2. Getting about 8-9K on them (PR2s). This is mostly Brussels traffic and motorways, which is generally full-on all the time.

·
Registered
513 Posts
flyingkiwi said:
Like Bazra, I ride like I stole it. I have my pegs as high as they will go, and the 'bars with sport mounts - thats the looooow ones. I have raised the back of the bike 10mm curtesy of Ohlins [God bless Ohlins :clap: ] have almost no chicken strips :D Don't even ask about the hero pegs under the foot rests..... :rotf: In New Zealand our roads are mainly chip and seal - thats those flesh eating, gear destroying, tyre chewing LARGE stones set in bitumen. You DON'T wanna come off on those :yeow:
I have run Michelin PR on the rear (9000km) and Pilot Power on the front (10000km) for the last 6 years. I have just purchased my 2nd PR2 for the rear after 14500km from the first PR2 :clap: . Totally impressed! Riding on the last 10% was great, and only changed it 'cos it was worn to the wear indicators. :) I can honestly say that the PR2 is a huge improvement if you like to ride at the edge, but still want good tyre life. But they are more expensive, so make sure your riding style justifies the extra cost.....
BTW, I tried a PR2 on the front and didn't like it - might have had something to do with old OEM shocks and stuffed wheel bearings at the time, but anyway, I like the Power as it is softer in all respects and still gives good mileage, is cheaper than a PR2 and gave the same mileage. The biggest mistake IMHO is to put a harder compound on the front than on the rear..... Its always better to have the rear let go a little as it is more controllable and predictable. When the front lets go, its a whole new ball game....

Flyingkiwi, just a second i did not know Kiwi's could fly. what the hell.

The BMW std Shocks are the shits. I don't know what stuffed wheel bearing are but I don't think I like them.

I ran the powers for years front and rear. the PR 2's are Better.

Give them a try and this for the
http://www.paulzhao.com/2007/04/kiwi-bird-flying-on-youtube.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
h96669 said:
Yep, another vote for me too, got some pretty good milleage out of a set of PR, switching to PR2 soon, but I am biased, my Dad was a Michelin dealer....! :thumb:
I'm on Dunlop Roadsmarts right now, but when they're out, it's the Pilot Road 2's defintely. Josh at Ted Porter in SC, CA sold me on'em, and the posts on this and other Beemer forums (none as good as this forum, natch ;^) have cemented my decision. The chicken strips are *very* narrow on the Roadsmarts, but tye grip could be better at 3/4 of the limit of lean and higher on my K12RS... I'm riding my RS like a BMW sport-tourer, not a Ducati 1098... but still, the Pilot Road 2's seem like they'll have a little more grip and control all the way over, especially powering off an apex in a constant or increasing radius off-camber corner. It'll be nice to find out. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
flyingkiwi said:
Yeah, that's for sure...

With roads that I roll on every day- Skyline Drive, Route 17, Highway 1 from Pacifica to Big Sur, and all the Woodside/La Honda/San Gregorio/Alice's Restaurant runs, as well as some track time every once in a while at Laguna Seca where (the Duck 1080) gets a workout, I've had some time to think through what I need next and then upgrade to Ohlins, Rhine West chip and ZTechnik exhaust, run .7" higher in back, and swap pegs to and remove the centerstand.

I've owned my first Beemer K1200RS (2000 w/lots of upgrades, courtesy the previous owner) for only 3 months, but worn out the Dunlop Roadsmarts I had put on the first week I owned it... swapped them out for a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 2's and those are a set of *sweet* hoops, brother... No chicken strips on either the Roadsmarts or the PR2's, but I've had to get rid of the stock pegs and go with the Oberon Touring peg kit (Pirate's Lair, natch- I love those folks)..

I've noticed that with front and rear PR2's, if I can get the powerband right (still learning), I can smoke the exit on these- just a little, and do so controllably and progressively. At their limit (which is easier to get to now, with the mods I installed), they break free very predictably, right up to the edge of the tread... what's the term for that edge, between tread and sidewall?)... MUCH improved from the Dunlops. I don't know why the CA CHP uses these things... I was disappointed, and the PR2's were CHEAPER)... I guess I'll find out in a month or so how many miles they last... I'm probably sticking with the dual-compound PR2s until something better comes along. :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
bazra said:
Flyingkiwi, just a second i did not know Kiwi's could fly. what the hell.

The BMW std Shocks are the shits. I don't know what stuffed wheel bearing are but I don't think I like them.

I ran the powers for years front and rear. the PR 2's are Better.

Give them a try and this for the
http://www.paulzhao.com/2007/04/kiwi-bird-flying-on-youtube.html
Of course Kiwi's can fly Bazra - Richard Pearse is the unconfirmed originator of flight in NZ, on March 31st 1902, BEFORE the Wright Brothers, but not wanting to upset international relations, we will leave that alone.... Nice blog BTW.
And of course, there is the one and only Burt Munroe who still hold the world record on a bike designed to go about 50mph, but made to go 200mph. If you haven't seen the movie, [Worlds fastest Indian] get it on DVD.
I digress...Stuffed wheel bearings, and I'm repeating myself here - The L/H wheel spacer sits inside the dust seal. In a case of the soft bit wearing out the hard bit, the dust seal wears grooves in the spacer, eventually allowing moisture to creep past the seal, and into both wheel bearings. Once they start to rust out they begin to collapse, causing instability which is felt, interestingly, as rear instability. Always stick your finger in the bearings and give them a turn whenever you have the wheel off, as you will know straight away if there is a developing problem, and visually inspect the spacer for grooves at the same time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts