BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out that there was no switch on the front brake controls for the brake light. I ordered a switch, but then have had a hard time finding the cable. I manufactured one from a rear brake cable, but then found no where to plug it in on the wiring harness. Obviously the rear plug connector is different so I plan to wire manually to the front brake wires. I then pulled off the right front fairings looking for anywhere to plug into the harness.
A. I have not been able to find a wiring diagram that gives me the actual color wire.
B. There are two plugs in the front. One takes a 5 point connector and the other takes a 4 point. The 4 point connector has a cover so I am thinking this one may have been for some type of accessory or ESA that my bide does not have. Is kthe five point connector the one that I need to use? Anybody have any pics of their connector? Suggestions? I have had 23 other bikes and have never had this much difficulty in parts and instructions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Opened up the fairings while I was installing the Procom Powerjet fuel controller. While in there, I was trying to find my front brake switch wire. I decided to follow the rear brake switch wire only to discover that there is no such thing. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the ABS module is the actual sending unit for the brake signal. I recently straight piped my front brakes due to the ABS failure and mushy feel, which is probably why the rear brake light works but the front does not. Can anyone confirm my findings?

·
Registered
68 Posts
D00D, You're shade-treeing something you don't understand. In other words (IOW) you're a hack and other colorful descriptions.

I find it real hard to believe that you are more knowledgeable than a crapload of folks who invented motorcycle ABS. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The K1200/1300 series bikes have a CANBus system - which basically means the bike has an onboard computer network which connects sensors and switches to a central computer module, rather than a plain 'loom' like old bikes. So - each sensor or switch doesn't just send a 'yes/no' (on or off) signal, it can send a range of values to the computer (depending on what it's doing).

So - there's no brake light switch from the front lever or the front hoses because the computer tells the brake light to go on when the brakes are activated - NOT a switch. (the switch tells the computer to use the brakes, the computer then does all the things that need to be done - activate the brake servo, keep an eye on the sensor values from the ABS ring on the front wheel, turn on the brake light etc etc).

If you've replaced the ABS hydraulic hoses with plain 'lever - calliper' hoses (I understand the reasoning!) then you'll have to find some other way to activate the brake light, which will involve 'hacking' the electrical network somehow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The K1200/1300 series bikes have a CANBus system - which basically means the bike has an onboard computer network which connects sensors and switches to a central computer module, rather than a plain 'loom' like old bikes. So - each sensor or switch doesn't just send a 'yes/no' (on or off) signal, it can send a range of values to the computer (depending on what it's doing).

So - there's no brake light switch from the front lever or the front hoses because the computer tells the brake light to go on when the brakes are activated - NOT a switch. (the switch tells the computer to use the brakes, the computer then does all the things that need to be done - activate the brake servo, keep an eye on the sensor values from the ABS ring on the front wheel, turn on the brake light etc etc).

If you've replaced the ABS hydraulic hoses with plain 'lever - calliper' hoses (I understand the reasoning!) then you'll have to find some other way to activate the brake light, which will involve 'hacking' the electrical network somehow.
Thanks for the clarity! Without the ABS functioning properly, the brakes were very mushy. Turns out there had been an electrical fire under the seat prior to me so I have been working against those issues. Again, thanks for a lucid and informative response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts