BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking of grips.....has anyone tried to remove the rubber grips and replace with some other type of material..(heated).....the rubber is killing me!.....i normally use gloves...but on those hot days i like to ride without them...I know...atgatt...but talking real world...was thinking of something like sport grip tape with holes in it...that would hold up to the heat from the heated grips....i did see where someone removed the rubber grip and replaced with non heated gips so as not to have to purchase the whole assembly.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
Get a grip!

I've been removing heated grip covers for years. The latest grip type is the most difficult, but heat is the answer. A long ride with the grips on high will frequently soften the glue enough to get the grips sliding around, or careful work with a heat gun. Once the original covers are off, you can install the grip of your choice. The only problem is that you need two throttle-sized grips. I you want to run foam grips, they're inexpensive enough to buy two sets and throw away the smaller grips.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
BAK04GT said:
Speaking of grips.....has anyone tried to remove the rubber grips and replace with some other type of material..(heated).....the rubber is killing me!.....i normally use gloves...but on those hot days i like to ride without them...I know...atgatt...but talking real world...was thinking of something like sport grip tape with holes in it...that would hold up to the heat from the heated grips....i did see where someone removed the rubber grip and replaced with non heated gips so as not to have to purchase the whole assembly.....
I ride in the southwest where it's a little hotter than in NH. Why don't you try MX fabric gloves when it's hot? I also use mesh-backed work gloves from WallyWorld. Trying these ideas might save you a lot of grief messing with your stock grips.

·
Registered
650 Posts
allikanbe1 said:
How about some grip puppies for about $8.20?
I bought several pairs of these from this outfit and they work really well. Gives a little more diameter to the grip (the small diameter of the stockers made my throttle hand hurt) and the heat only takes a little longer to pass through. They also look nice, an added bonus.

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
54089093 said:
I've been removing heated grip covers for years. The latest grip type is the most difficult, but heat is the answer. A long ride with the grips on high will frequently soften the glue enough to get the grips sliding around, or careful work with a heat gun. Once the original covers are off, you can install the grip of your choice. The only problem is that you need two throttle-sized grips. I you want to run foam grips, they're inexpensive enough to buy two sets and throw away the smaller grips.
I just cut mine off with a razor. It's not that risky, you just need to score the rubber to get it to tear along a straight line.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Get a Grip

The old (still available) grooved grips are easier to remove than the new type with the lozenge pattern. BMW used a far better glue on these and more of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts