BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2003 k1200gt and have the symptoms of a bad ecu. What I want to know is this a recall and I read it had to be replaced by the end of december? My warranty runs out 9-7-06 they should replace it for free up tell then shouldnt they?

·
Registered
85 Posts
ecu problems

The symptoms of a bad ecu are poor throttle response during the first 5 min or so of starting. If you do have these symptoms I would just call your dealer and get it on record that you have the problem and that should take care of the Dec. end date. Let us know how your dealer responds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
additional question

Is this ecu problem only for the 2003 models or does it include 2004 as well? I've been away from BMW for several years and just purchased an '04 GT. I'm trying to catch up on all the current issues.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
It affects some of the '04's as well, "I think" up to 4/04 build date. Your dealer can run your VIN and tell you easily. Not all bikes have the problem though. If your GT is running fine and not stalling, you are probably OK without a new ECU. I have an RS in the 'bad ecu' build range, but it runs perfect as-is.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just had my ECU replaced under warranty. 2004 k1200gt, born 12/03. Thanks to this site i would have never known about it. Being a first time BMW owner i thought the stumblin throttle during warm up was normal as was the unstable idle when warm. After reading some posts here i called the dealer and they said bring it in FAST! I was told the replacement ends new years day '06.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts