BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 K12RS which has heated grips....needs just the grips replaced as they are really worn. Can I just order the plain $15 grips from the BMW shop or do I have to order the whole heated grip setup to the tune of $70 or so?? I asked the guy at Bogart's BMW in B'ham, Al when I was up there last month and he said I'd have to order the whole heated grip assembly for each side...cost over $140 for both (of course he'd say that as it's more money in his pocket). That sounds ridiculous to me as the heating elements still work fine...it's just the grips that are worn down. I seem to remember on the old I-BMW.com forum someone said you could cut the grips off carefully and replace them with the plain old $15 BMW grips but you had to order them in a weird way...like two left hand grips or something like that to get them to fit correctly?? Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
new grips

I felt the stock grips were too small, so I wrapped them with racquet grip....very pleased....20,000 miles on them so far...minimal wear.....easily replaced when necessary.....heat still works fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like it might be a solution...but mine are really worn on the outside ends, almost worn even with the rest of the grip in some places...lazy habit of resting my palms on the large rubber end piece...I guess. Anyway if I can't get a definitive answer about replacing both grips with the cheaper $15 grips then I may do what you suggested. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
828 Posts
heated grips

I did a quick call to my service manager and he gave me some good and bad news. First the good news, you can use the cheaper grips to replace, mke sure you get 2 throttle side grips (they are a loarger diameter and will fit make it easier to fit over the wires. Now the bad news, he has only seen one person sucessfully accomplish this feat.

I guess those wacky German engineers decided that the most efficient heat transfer would be to bond the heating element to the grip itself. So you can carefully cut away the old grip and replace them with the $15 grips. You have to be extremely careful not to cut any wires or the heating element will be toast.

I say take your chances and go for the $15 grips. The smaller grips really do not bother me and I'm not the biggest fans of bar wraps. I checked the heated grip prices for both sides: $93 right, $87 left

ONON-
Mark

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Pathogen7 said:
The smaller grips really do not bother me and I'm not the biggest fans of bar wraps.
You'd be surprised how much better they feel (and look IMO) when you use the right product.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have peeled back my heated grip to repair a broken wire in the past. The rubber grip seemed to peel back easily. I am sure you can remove the rubber carefully with a razor and peeling at same time.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I replaced the grips on my wife's bike. They peeled off fairly easily, no cutting required. Heating stills works fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed the $15 grips on my heated assemblies last Fall. They weren't difficult to remove without cutting them off. I did notice the old heated grips were slotted at the end and the $15 were not. Within a week the throttle side had "burned out" ( Electrically open)
As soon as I complete replacing the rear main oil seal, the new heated grips will go on!
Since I live in Al. too I've tried hard to like the local dealer ....... like Forrest Gump said, that's all I've got to say about that!

·
Registered
264 Posts
milkman said:
You'd be surprised how much better they feel (and look IMO) when you use the right product.

Soooooo....don't leave us guessing. What product do you recommend? Mygrips are quite worn too. It appears they use a very soft material on the k-bikes. The R-bike grips don't show wear much at all. Had to replace the right one on the oilhead when I laid it down at 80k miles. The left one is still original and I don't notice the difference.

--Jerry

·
Registered
653 Posts
milkman said:
I felt the stock grips were too small, so I wrapped them with racquet grip....very pleased....20,000 miles on them so far...minimal wear.....easily replaced when necessary.....heat still works fine.
Excellent! I'm going to have to try this solution out - the grip is fine on the outside where its diameter is larger, but the tapering down to a smaller diameter on the inside imparts a little pain to my throttle hand. :p

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've heard from an '04 rider who also had an '01 model that the heated grips on his '04 are much warmer than his '01. Anyone else who has had experience with the different years notice a difference.

My '02 heated grips are not working again and I was wondering if the '04 grips could be fitted to an '02. Since there didn't apear to be any changes to the heated grips between the years it would seem to be a direct swap. Any thoughts, ideas?

I went to Gerbings heated gloves which takes care of the broken heated grips problem very nicely.

·
Registered
264 Posts
DPSCOTT said:
I've heard from an '04 rider who also had an '01 model that the heated grips on his '04 are much warmer than his '01. Anyone else who has had experience with the different years notice a difference.

My '02 heated grips are not working again and I was wondering if the '04 grips could be fitted to an '02. Since there didn't apear to be any changes to the heated grips between the years it would seem to be a direct swap. Any thoughts, ideas?

I went to Gerbings heated gloves which takes care of the broken heated grips problem very nicely.
Heated gloves are a very nice solution but the heated grips are more convenient...I'm wondering about the differences in heat output. MY 00 K12RS is MUCH hotter than my 95R11RS. I don't think you'd want them any hotter than my k bike gets. Also, I don't think they changed the part from 00 to 04 so I doubt that is the problem.

I would guess that the difference is the voltage at the grips. Low voltage on a resistive device severly reduces the power because low voltage reduces the current. Power is current times voltage so you actually have a double effect. I doubt the difference is in the grips themselves since I'm sure they have a resistance spec. You could try measuring the resistance of the grips and if it is high, that would explain it too. I think I'll check that next time I have the R-bike apart.

--Jerry

·
Registered
351 Posts
grips to wrap your grips... approx. costs

Stephejl said:
Soooooo....don't leave us guessing. What product do you recommend? Mygrips are quite worn too. It appears they use a very soft material on the k-bikes. The R-bike grips don't show wear much at all. Had to replace the right one on the oilhead when I laid it down at 80k miles. The left one is still original and I don't notice the difference.

--Jerry
As a former tennis hack, Milkman was spot on; you can find grip replacements for about $3 to $6 from any tennis pro shop, quick search on google produced : http://www.atssports.com/Tennis-Sup...ults=1&category=0&secondary=24&manufacturer=0

My only concern is heat transfer through some of these grips could be diminished to varying degrees depending on materials and thickness of wrap.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
03k12RS said:
As a former tennis hack, Milkman was spot on; you can find grip replacements for about $3 to $6 from any tennis pro shop, quick search on google produced : http://www.atssports.com/Tennis-Sup...ults=1&category=0&secondary=24&manufacturer=0

My only concern is heat transfer through some of these grips could be diminished to varying degrees depending on materials and thickness of wrap.
Actually, the heat transfer shouldn't change much. Assuming the same ammount of heat is generated in the heater, it has to get out somehow or the center will keep heating up until it fails. Heat transfer is driven by delta T so the core temp could get a little hotter to drive the heat thru the extra layer. Hotter core temp means the heater MIGHT burn out a little sooner. HOwever, I've read of a lot of people doing this and nobody has reported that they killed their heater. Also, a higher temp at the heater might increase resistance and thus lower heat production but probably not since heater wire is designed to get hot w/o changing resistance much.

Cheers,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
03k12RS said:

How does the adhesive stand up to the heat?
I would think that the wrap adhesive would get soft and gooey. Leaving you with a complete mess.
Bruce C

·
Registered
764 Posts
Stephejl said:
Actually, the heat transfer shouldn't change much. Assuming the same ammount of heat is generated in the heater, it has to get out somehow or the center will keep heating up until it fails. Heat transfer is driven by delta T so the core temp could get a little hotter to drive the heat thru the extra layer. Hotter core temp means the heater MIGHT burn out a little sooner. HOwever, I've read of a lot of people doing this and nobody has reported that they killed their heater. Also, a higher temp at the heater might increase resistance and thus lower heat production but probably not since heater wire is designed to get hot w/o changing resistance much.

Cheers,
Jerry
All that's true, but doesn't take into account an alternative path for heat - through the bars. Seems to me the increased delta caused by the better insulation of overgrips would increase heat flow across the bars and decrease heat to rosy palms. Is this right or wrong?

Allen

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
regripping

Stephejl said:
--Jerry
I used Prince DuraTread.....looks cool (to me) and the logo does not show.....heat works just fine.....no "gooey mess"....buy 2 sets so the you can use 2 rubber bands (turn them inside out unless you like the word 'Prince' on your grip!) to cover the wrap end on each bar (see pic)....plus you have a spare set for the future....experiment with the adhesive backing on until you're happy with the overlap and end point, then take it off and wrap it for real....they have a real nice feel....they can be replaced easily with no damage to rubber, although they should last very long....tennis players abuse them much more than this application....20,000 miles so far and I'm not even thinking about replacing them yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, I had a project here at work that I had to take care of so I'm just now getting back on the Forum to respond. Thanks for all the good advice about replacing the grips...I'll look at them this weekend and see if it looks like I can peel the old ones off without screwing up the heating wires. I'm pretty lame at doing stuff like that so I'm a little hesitant. I do oil changes and stuff like that on my bike but I have two left thumbs when it comes to doing delicate work like that.

If it looks like it's gonna be a real pain to peel the grips off then I may go the tennis grip route or try another product out that I found out about called...grip puppies. You can check them out here: http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPSMALL&Category_Code=new

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
davidmac1958 said:
As soon as I complete replacing the rear main oil seal, the new heated grips will go on!
Since I live in Al. too I've tried hard to like the local dealer ....... like Forrest Gump said, that's all I've got to say about that!
Hey DavidMac, I'm glad to meet another K rider from Bama. Not too many K12's down here in Montgomery. We should hook up sometime and ride...maybe we could met up at 29 Dreams or somewhere in between.

I had a few problems with my K as well...two timing cover leaks, a rear pinion seal leak, and the vacuum hoses that wouldn't stay connected just to mention a few. I bought my K new from Ted back in '02 and loved the service and friendly dealership they had...then it was bought out by Bogarts and it just seems to have gone downhill. Not to rag on any dealer but Ted use to give loaner bikes out to his customers if he had to keep your bike more than a few days...not Bogarts...the last time I had them work on my bike was early last year for the 24K service and they said it would only take a few days..ended up being in there for almost two weeks. I kept getting bumped due to them putting the Police bikes services ahead of mine. I've done most of the services on it myself since then (it has 33K on it now) but will most likely take it over to Blue Moon in Atlanta for the next valve adjustment service.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
370 Posts
grip puppies look cool

Like Walter sez....Check out www.casporttouring.com and take a look at the GripPuppies. Don't know if they would work or help, but worth checking out. I would love some feedback on them. I am thinking of putting them on for more cushion and to prevent wear. Cheers. Johnny.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts