BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding nearly my entire life. I'm 55 now. I've been on several 2K+ mile trips up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway and all over the back roads of TN, VA, MD, PA, etc. I've seen my share of wildlife along the way. Heck we once saw a black bear sort of jogging along side the road with us lol. Anyway, in all those thousands and thousands of miles I've not even come close to having a crash with nature of any sort. I guess I've been lucky in that aspect. I do ride on high-alert at all times. I've just always been like that.

Saturday was a gorgeous day here in MD. No clouds. Perfect temps. Out on the K1300S with my wife on the back. She loves to go for rides on days like that. It was mid-day and we were riding a two-lane road a few miles north of our home. Came out of an easy left hander onto a long straight stretch doing just under 60mph. Huge open field to my left. Thicket of woods to my right. Then, just like a glitch in the matrix, and oddly without me seeing any approach whatsoever, a mid-sized deer appeared on the yellow center lines (literally felt like it was digitally dropped there - just appeared) going full speed from left to right. Between our closure speed and the time it took to process that a large animal was directly in front of my tire, I didn't even have time to fully brake. My fingers pulled on the front brake lightly and I just focused on it's tail while slightly pushing the bike away from the deer's direction of travel. We could hear it's hoofs on the road - it passed so close it's tail whipped my right pinky and grip. I don't even know how we didn't REALLY hit it. All I felt was my wife's arms grip on my waste tighten and I looked at the deer's eye seemingly watching us as it bolted by and disappeared into the trees.

As soon as we were clear I looked up at the oncoming car and the people in the front seat with their mouth's wide open. I'm sure they were wondering what sort of miracle they just witnessed. I pulled over immediately, shut the bike off, and put my head down onto the tank. Holy F. Three cars and a bike were behind us. They all beeped their horns as they went by as if to say "hey man you should probably play the lottery today".

We continued on despite that surge of adrenalin and had a pretty fantastic ride after that. It sure has given me a bit of a wake up call when it comes to riding though. Stay safe out there everyone! Like me, you might not see that deer until the last moment!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I haven’t come to close to hitting any big animals on the Road there was a bear running alongside us in Montana but he was on the other side of the guard rail and we were only going about 35 to 40 in the national park I have come close to hitting a deer and a bear and a coyote on my dirtbike and of course lots of other small animals but no contacts, but the other day I was going for a ride doing about 65 miles an hour and I see this big black buzzard bird so I thought going down onto the road with something in his claws as I got closer It was an eagle and he took off towards me and then turned but he was so freaking close and the wingspan must’ve been over 6 feet wide you never would think a bird could be that big. Anyway he turned doing about maybe 25 or 30 miles an hour going in the same direction as me right up against me his wings were about 2 feet away from my helmet of course I was slowing down now usually don’t have to worry too much about birds they get out of the way but this time wrong Guess. I don’t think it would’ve knocked me off my bike I was already ducking in case of the worst. Lol

Reactions: pbmax

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a first during a ride in Arkansas a couple of weeks ago. Coming out of a left hander and rolling on the throttle, I caught something out of the corner of my eye and it was of all things, a turkey. Those things are huge when they get close. It was headed straight towards my head so I ducked down as much as I could and it just landed a glancing blow to the top of my helmet. I looked in the mirrors but didn't see anything so I guess it just bounced off and kept flying.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
545 Posts
Had a similar interaction with a six point buck. I saw him out of the corner of my eye running at me at an angle. Couldn't stop so I ducked under the fairing and he jumped over the back of my bike with his hoofs hitting my tail bag.

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

• Wow
Reactions: pbmax

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I had a similar situation several years ago with a Bambi encounter while riding my '06 Bumblebee. I, too, had to stop afterwards to check out the right side fairing for signs of hoof marks and/or fur. I saw neither. It took a few miles for the adrenaline shakes to wear off.

To all others reading this thread, should we take up a Go Fund Me page to buy the OP some new shorts??:sneaky:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow. Some close calls here! I had a black bear trundle down the hillside and stand in the middle of my lane at Deals Gap a couple years ago, but I had no trouble stopping well short of him. We looked at each other for a bit then he trundled on across the road. Biggest no-kidding animal drama I've ever had was taking a giant cicada to the face shield in southwest Texas at about 80 miles an hour. The thump was pretty startling, but the real problem was how perfectly he smeared himself into completely covering my visor making it impossible to see. I had one of those Bell helmets and the visor was held closed by snapping a hole in the left side of the visor over a button on the helmet. It took me a couple seconds to think to open the visor and a scary number of seconds to get the confounded thing open so I could see. Luckily, I was not pointed off into the caliche or into oncoming traffic.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I hit a bug last Sunday.....it was terrible................................. yeah gotta always be on the lookout and you know it's going to get worse on our highways too. With gas prices the way they are cities/states are slowing down mowing along roadsides, so a critter could come out of the taller grass and take you out for sure. Glad you two are okay and yes, animals are stupid.

·
Registered
87 Posts
PBMAX,

Did you play a few Lottery Numbers? lol. Animals and Motorcycles do not mix well, as most of us know.....

Bears, Deer's, Dogs and even pesky Alligators and Armadillos.......... But I had the Big wake up call with Elephants! They are allowed to freely Roam Thailand anywhere in the country.

They especially do not like "Loud" motorcycles and scooters......Go Figure?

Glad, you could share the successful out come for you, your wife and the machine!

Elephant Plant Vertebrate Working animal Elephants and Mammoths
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
93 Posts
I am going to start putting a kill count on my fairing for all the suicide squirrels I dispatch. I am at two this year already but last weekend was squirrel free. While not a scary thud I feel sorry for the creatures. They need to stay off the road.
Rodent Felidae Whiskers Font Small to medium-sized cats

1 - 14 of 14 Posts