BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Picked up my new 07 GT Thursday night and so far I am loving it. :dance: So now that I have spent all this money, I want to spend more (uh oh). I need to get a cover for it as the weather around here (Seattle) tends to get wet at a moment’s notice. I was told by the dealership that BMW doesn't make covers for the KGT. Does anyone know of a good brand to look into? Also like almost everyone else I hate the seat and am thinking about replacing it. Cause my area is often wet, and I expect to be riding in it, I don't think leather is the way to go. So I was looking at the Kontour for job. It’s a lot to spend on a seat and I wanted to get some owner opinions. Other then that I can't wait to get out of work to ride it some more. Thanks.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kodiak said:
Hey all. Picked up my new 07 GT Thursday night and so far I am loving it. :dance: So now that I have spent all this money, I want to spend more (uh oh). I need to get a cover for it as the weather around here (Seattle) tends to get wet at a moment’s notice. I was told by the dealership that BMW doesn't make covers for the KGT. Does anyone know of a good brand to look into? Also like almost everyone else I hate the seat and am thinking about replacing it. Cause my area is often wet, and I expect to be riding in it, I don't think leather is the way to go. So I was looking at the Kontour for job. It’s a lot to spend on a seat and I wanted to get some owner opinions. Other then that I can't wait to get out of work to ride it some more. Thanks.
Addco Tyvek Armor cover, I was thinking about this one, 5 year warranty and its can be put on the bike even with a a hot pipe....

Oh the seat... My head is spinning on this for myself si I won't answer it.....

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
The Kontour seat isn't the best choice for wet weather. The waterproof barrier is several layers down, so the perforated cover and top layers can hold water in. Wet leather or vinyl isn't fun, but it's gotta be better than riding on a sponge.

FWIW, I periodically treat my Bill Mayer leather seat with some leather treatment gel that Rocky gave me, and I've never had any trouble even in full Seattle rain.

As for other after market seats, just do some reading here and you'll get lots of info.

The cover really depends on whether you want a huge, heavy cover or a smaller, packable cover. I use a Dowco Guardian Traveler cover. They call it a half cover, but it's really about 3/4 coverage on the GT with the large trunk. I used the same cover on my LT, and it remained waterproof through an Oregon winter.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey Kodiak, congrats on the new ride. I'm just south of you in the Portland area and I just bought a cover last Saturday. I picked up an XXL Dowco Guardian Cover for $104.95 at the newest Beemer dealer in Tigard, OR. It fits perfect over the large top box and bags. I had a similar one for my K11LT and it held up for 12 years. Unless you can get it for free you can't beat it.

Let me know if you're ever in the area.

John 06 CGM KGT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts