BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone this is my first post and I have a few questions about this bike. I hope to get it running soon and I hope it doesn't cost me a fortune to do it. The bike has been sitting for a while and I was going to make an attempt to start it tonight once my new yuasa battery is charged. The bike sat with about 1.5 gallons of gas in it and I drained out as much as I could and replaced with two gallons of premium.

My first question is if the fuel filter that's in there right now is north of 18 years old could it be clogged from old age or possibly still functioning?

I tried to jump the bike with a jump box but it wouldn't start, I also noticed then when I turned the key to position 2 that there was no buzz from the fuel pump (Like on my VFR). Should I be able to hear the fuel pump prime or is it so quiet that I should not be able to? When I turned the key the tach needle went to the 7200 rpm mark and just stayed there. I thought that was weird but I am going to attribute that to not having sufficient amps to get-er-done.

I own a BMW car and when my battery was really low after 8+ years the cars fuel pump and the starter/ignition system failed to work but all the interior and dashboard lights functioned, even the headlight. I was wondering if the bikes had the same fail safe too because I did not smell any gas when cranking the bike inside the garage. I will post some pictures of the new red rocket once I get her started....I hope.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Yes check the fuel filter.Plugged and that would blow the fuel pump fuse.Only time I blew the fuse was when the return hose got knocked off on my 03 equipped with quick disconnects.Blocked the flow and fuse blew.

But no QDs on the 98,just straight connectors so I'd look for blockages if you find a blown fuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had to replace the fuel pump. Do you know where I might find what color the valve cover is? I think it's titanium-silver metallic but not sure. It there a paint/body section on this board?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Need to paint? Duplicolor Silver metallic is a perfect match.Is yours Magnesium or Aluminium? If magnesium,and it should say on the cover, you need good primer for bare magnesium.

Not too uncommon on BMWs the fuel pump seizing if parked for a while.I was just doing some readings on that yesterday.Some had good luck powering a seized fuel pump right from a battery to jolt it back to life.And it will turn in reverse connected opposite so that may help jolting it back to life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts