BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 2006 K1200GT has 100,000 km, lives in Europe and has spent the last 92,000 km munching distance and curves on the highways of Italy, Germany, France, Spain, etc. A great bike, but with some faults (centre stand, airbox / idle, clutch, brake servo motor, broken camshaft). All fixed at the dealer (not cheap, but I can recommend the dealer in Milan).

Am currently riding around Germany and have had 2 new issues. First the bike tipped over slowly with me on it at a fuel stop. First time in all my years on it. No damage, but a bit of coolant leaked out, maybe half a pint.

Now the idle issues have returned, when hot it idles at a steady 2000 rpm. In bad traffic, the temp gauge went to full hot and started flashing. Fortunately only momentarily as we started moving.

I expect that the high temp comes from a high idle and no air movement, but is it possible that air is now trapped somewhere in the system from my tip over? I have never had the temp go as high even in Rome city traffic in the summer, but this was 7km of almost stationary traffic on a hot day. No error codes or issues after the traffic ended and the bike cooled down.

Is there any way to check the coolant level on a K1200? I expect a vacuum machine is needed to bleed it, but would still like to see the level.

Finally, how loud is the transmission gear noise on your K? Not the clutch, but the gear whine. I can hear it at low speed with earplugs in. I thought it may be a final drive, but all is ok there.

Bike is great otherwise. I thought 100,000 km was a lot (most I have ever put on a bike) then saw an article in an Italian magazine about a guy with 500,000 km on his K1200S(!)

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
312 Posts
No way to truly check coolant level. Yes you can open the radiator cap and see, but if there was air in the system from loss of coolant and a tip over this air could now be trapped in the cylinder head cooling passages. I suggest you have the coolant drained and refilled at a proper shop that knows how to do the vacuum refill. You need to be careful. Your year and model bike may reach a point it is not worth the money to work on it. You have already taken care of the most expensive maintenance item, the servo pump. If you don't mind the expense of this bike no problem. But the GT model of this bike is a pit of maintenance expenses. Think about a newer more dependable bike with less maintenance requirements. Do you have the new upgraded Air Box installed? Heat makes the box bind up and messes with the idle, the idle valve can be replaced or cleaned but the bike is getting older and it will be hard to find a shop who knows its problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - as I am on a road trip right now, it may need to wait until I am done. But good advice. Air box was replaced with a new item, but problems persist.

As for replacing the K, I think about it from time to time. I always say I will do it at the next high cost item, but I cannot get my head around scrapping it. If the electronic suspension or final drive go in a big way, well, maybe that’s it.

I am curious if the new K16 has fewer issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts