BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a chance to try the new Avon " Storm Ultra 2's" ? I have the storms on my 08 Gt and love them. They claim better grip and 15% more mileage, these may just be the best tire's for our bikes. :dunno:

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Haven't seen these tires yet, but I'm sure interested . . .

·
Registered
138 Posts
Haven't heard of these tires but I will be checking them out. New tires are next on the agenda after I pay for the new Russell seat in February. I was planning on buying the Avon's anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Meese said:
Haven't seen these tires yet, but I'm sure interested . . .
Why?

Didn't you wear out an Avon tire out in two days? Another 15% longevity will get you maybe another 7-8 hours of use? I don't see the benefit. :D

Mack (slow news day)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Ooo ......"Ultra 2"....must be better.... :D

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
GMack said:
Didn't you wear out an Avon tire out in two days?
Well yeah, but those weren't exactly ordinary days. And it was so worth it. :D

Guess I just need to carry a spare tire on the bike along with the spare final drive. ;)

Or else look into the darksider thing that the 'Wing and FJR guys keep talking about . . . :wtf:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Meese said:
Well yeah, but those weren't exactly ordinary days. And it was so worth it. :D

Guess I just need to carry a spare tire on the bike along with the spare final drive. ;)

Or else look into the darksider thing that the 'Wing and FJR guys keep talking about . . . :wtf:
Funny how the folks I read on the ADVRider site don't think twice about strapping a spare tire on the back. Of course they are riding GS's which already look like ass :teeth

Next year when I take my huge cross continent ride I may 'cache' a tire or two that I UPS out to the boonies, or I guess I could just call some dealers and make some appointments for tires installs when I get near.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts

BTW, I've found Cycle Gear to be a great source for tires on the road. If you want something specific, you can even call ahead and have them order it in.

And if you're not too particular about which tires, nearly any multi-brand Japanese dealer will have the correct sizes in stock, as the GT uses "standard" sized sport-touring rubber. Some of them may have trouble balancing the rear BMW wheel because of the large center hole, but any normal car tire balancer can do that.

In fact, when I've had the replacement tire with me, I've gone to normal car tire shops, pulled the rear rim off myself, and had them mount & balance using their car equipment. Name-brand tire shops may balk at this, but the off-brand shops are usually happy to do it for pocket cash.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Robert_W said:
Ooo ......"Ultra 2"....must be better.... :D
Like puttin another blade in a razor!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Meese said:

BTW, I've found Cycle Gear to be a great source for tires on the road. If you want something specific, you can even call ahead and have them order it in.

And if you're not too particular about which tires, nearly any multi-brand Japanese dealer will have the correct sizes in stock, as the GT uses "standard" sized sport-touring rubber. Some of them may have trouble balancing the rear BMW wheel because of the large center hole, but any normal car tire balancer can do that.

In fact, when I've had the replacement tire with me, I've gone to normal car tire shops, pulled the rear rim off myself, and had them mount & balance using their car equipment. Name-brand tire shops may balk at this, but the off-brand shops are usually happy to do it for pocket cash.
That is too much-On your way for the Dakar Rally???? :yeow: :wtf:

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
pmorritt said:
Close. :D That was just before the start of a 7-day, 8,000-mile Endurance Rally. I had just had new tires fitted at a random Cycle Gear in Kansas, and was heading out to Omaha for the start. The old tires still had good tread left (although not 8K miles worth), so I took them to a local UPS store and sent them home for use later.

So really, it was only packed like that for maybe 5-6 miles. The 5-gallon fuel cell and 2 gallons of water stayed onboard the whole time though. :)

Although, carrying a spare tire on very long trips isn't all that unusual for me:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
pmorritt said:
Nah....for Meese that's just a run around the block to Dennys for breakfast! :D

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Meese said:
Close. :D That was just before the start of a 7-day, 8,000-mile Endurance Rally. I had just had new tires fitted at a random Cycle Gear in Kansas, and was heading out to Omaha for the start. The old tires still had good tread left (although not 8K miles worth), so I took them to a local UPS store and sent them home for use later.
I am surprised that value of the remaining tread was worth the cost of shipping + installation + rebalancing. How much did it cost to ship them back?

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
I am surprised that value of the remaining tread was worth the cost of shipping + installation + rebalancing. How much did it cost to ship them back?
I don't remember the exact cost, maybe $50 or so. But I've been caught out before when I wanted/needed to go on a long trip on short notice and didn't have the tread left to do it. So I always keep a new spare set at home, or at the very least a lightly used set (from the last time I had to go on a long trip on short notice . . . :)).

Installation and rebalancing is the same on any tire. Again, my local Cycle Gear does it for $25, or the not-quite-as-local multi-brand bike dealer for $15. I've done fronts at home, too (with a Marc Parnes balancer). I've also had the rears changed and balanced at a neighborhood car tire shop for $10.

After 14 front and 22 rear tires on the GT, you get pretty good at figuring such things out. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Meese said:
I
After 14 front and 22 rear tires on the GT, you get pretty good at figuring such things out. :)
When I think of the $$$$ involved to to that, it just blows my mind... :wtf:

Your commitment to riding is a very deep level and I am glad you are out there. :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great a new Avon Storm. If there is just a little bit more mileage with no loss of grip than I would say it will be just about perfect for me and my GT.

Kevin

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
doug5551 said:
When I think of the $$$$ involved to do that, it just blows my mind... :wtf:
I'm an engineer, so I can quote exactly how much that cost, along with every service and fuel stop and accessory. I have spreadsheet, you see . . . :D

Then again, I haven't owned a car for 20 years, so the bike is it. Plus all my customers are out of state, and riding there is much better than flying, especially these days.

Then again, sometimes you just need to go for a ride and cross a state line or two for no real reason at all . . . :ricky:

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
KKM said:
Great a new Avon Storm. If there is just a little bit more mileage with no loss of grip than I would say it will be just about perfect for me and my GT.
Agreed. I'm so there. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts