BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after all that I just decided to get a new battery. The current one is 4 years old, Deka, and ready to call it quits. So I bought an Odyssey PC680MJ and what do you know, the wires coming directly from the alternator to the positive terminal don't quite make it. The Odyssey is considerably taller, wider, and shallower and has the top mounted terminals rather than the side ones of the Deka.

I'm thinking of just splicing a length of wire onto the alternator to get the length I need, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the gauge of wire the alternator uses? (not too keen on just chopping them open without a second opinion :p) Or if there's a better way to go about this.

·
Registered
71 Posts
battery technology sucks

On my 86 K100RS I just re-routed the existing wires and put a 1/4" thick piece of rubber on the battery tray. Another piece of thin rubber was needed between the top hold down bracket and the battery, the original long screws work, they are just very tight against the sides of the replacement, which is a maintenance free lawn tractor battery. About 1/3 the cost of an original replacement and lasts about 2/3 as long.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Odyssey over rated

I may be the only one who believes the Ody is over rated. There are comparatively few sizes and configurations of the dang things, frequently resulting in kludges and adapters. You can get quality sealed batteries elsewhere for much less. For example, I have a 2003 R1200CLC, Annie, which has integrated ABS very sensitive to cold battery state. Have to replace the thing every four years or so, or else get ABS faults. My fellow chromeheads write thread after thread about adapting expensive Ody batteries to fit, which batteries they then praise to the skies, then replace every four or five years just like any other battery. I scored Annie an OEM re-branded by BMW Exide battery from the dealer for twenty less than the Ody at the time. Two years back I scored her a Westco from beemerboneyard for like 80 bucks. Both fit right without adapting a thing. For Ocelot, I scored an AGM battery from Tri-State Battery round the corner from me for about eighty. Big huge thing. Slipped right in without any gyrations.

If they sold them cheaper and they fit right and they lasted longer I might be a believer. As it is, over rated. :xcheer:

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
I have had several Odyssey PC680s and think their reputation is well deserved/earned. I've heard of WestCo, BMW and every other kind of battery failing but never an Odyssey. IMO they're the most dependable battery available. And they're easily good for at least five years. I've never had a problem fitting them on any K bike.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'll be buying an Odissey soon too, my 3 years old BMW Gel is showing signs of weakness......probably still good for the garden tractor however! :teeth

But for wire sizing, I recently had to look up some battery cables, I measured the wire with calipers and used this chart, you can always go one size bigger, just don't go smaller.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've got a 5 year old Westco in my 87K75S, no complaints and may get another season out of her. BUT I've heard of problems with newer bikes with ABS and whatever wiring-from-Mars BMW is using now, hence all the raving reviews of the Odissy, it seems more compatible. The Westco fit, cheaper than OEM, and worked for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts