BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$3000 is the cost of a dealer supplied and fitted new cam chain for a K1200GT (2006) (in Aus).
I can buy everything needed- new chain, cogs, sliders, etc- from BMW Sierra for under $500, including a couple of essential special tools. It'll take me a day, possibly two (not as fast as I once was) to do, but first I am looking for comments from anybody "out there" who has experience of the quality (material and specs) of those rather important non-oem parts specifically and Sierra (USA) stuff generally.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Quickie said:
$3000 is the cost of a dealer supplied and fitted new cam chain for a K1200GT (2006) (in Aus).
I can buy everything needed- new chain, cogs, sliders, etc- from BMW Sierra for under $500, including a couple of essential special tools. It'll take me a day, possibly two (not as fast as I once was) to do, but first I am looking for comments from anybody "out there" who has experience of the quality (material and specs) of those rather important non-oem parts specifically and Sierra (USA) stuff generally.
maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you order these parts from a BMW dealer in the US, why would the parts supplied be non-OEM. When I look up the parts I would need for this job on my dealers parts page, it shows all BMW supplied parts as supplied originally....

My dealer, MAX BMW: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51588&rnd=04282014 Then click on engine, and find the needed parts page

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cam chain components

BMW Sierra offered me a choice of oem and after market components (same with brake pads). I think I will be more comfortable with oem. Thanks for the link to MAX BMW. Apart from anything else, the schematics on their web page are especially useful. My dealership quote in Australia for the chain and sprockets was around $1500 so I will be going to MAX. Two years ago I did a total nut & bolt restoration of a 1975 Triumph Bonneville. I was amazed at how inexpensive replacement engine parts were for that - including two brand new carbies for $230 and a Triplex timing chain for $64. Makes nonsense of the Oz price for a BMW cam chain and two sprockets.
For general info, my new gen GT has covered 67400 km (about 41K miles). There's no obvious alarm bells yet (no start up rattles, etc) though I do occasionally hear a very brief
'hestitation' rattle when idling at traffic lights.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Quickie said:
BMW Sierra offered me a choice of oem and after market components (same with brake pads). I think I will be more comfortable with oem. Thanks for the link to MAX BMW. Apart from anything else, the schematics on their web page are especially useful. My dealership quote in Australia for the chain and sprockets was around $1500 so I will be going to MAX. Two years ago I did a total nut & bolt restoration of a 1975 Triumph Bonneville. I was amazed at how inexpensive replacement engine parts were for that - including two brand new carbies for $230 and a Triplex timing chain for $64. Makes nonsense of the Oz price for a BMW cam chain and two sprockets.
For general info, my new gen GT has covered 67400 km (about 41K miles). There's no obvious alarm bells yet (no start up rattles, etc) though I do occasionally hear a very brief
'hestitation' rattle when idling at traffic lights.
Yes, I have always bought from MAXBMW, their service is amazing. If you ever have to contact them you will find them very helpful and informed. And as you said, the prices here are good, even with the exchange rate and shipping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts