BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many folks have changed their exhaust to one of the aftermarket jobs thats now out for the GT ?

I changed the Slip-On on my K1200R and was very pleased with the results...... on the GT the bags hide the Can so well, I really haven't paid to much attention to it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
No change yet and while I looked into the aftermarket cans already I doubt that there's much of a performance gain so the only reason for the change would be for the sound. Personally the Star Ship Enterprise swooshing sound is growing on me. Now the evo brake assist hum at full stops is another thing altogether.

·
Registered
68 Posts
John06KGT said:
Now the evo brake assist hum at full stops is another thing altogether.
that's something i won't miss on my '07...
i couldn't stand that sound on my GS
the stopping power they provide, however, is another story
i hope that my TEVES system will be as strong
time will tell
my bike will be here NEXT week

·
Registered
457 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride. If you have time I'd like to hear how you like it especially the change to brake system. I've only heard bits and pieces so I'm not sure just what or how the brake system was changed from 06 to 07. But, I hear that change is good and every BMW change is a change for the better! Right?!?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where did this thread go from Cans to Brake Systems ???????????????????????????/

Guess some folks just don't understand how to use this forum.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Can

I will go back to your topic.
I do have my bike (enuff said about that) oh yes, and did replace my can with the Remus Ti from Pirate. It is considerably smaller and seems to have a bit more oomph at the mid torque range. I for one like to hear the motor and am happier with the sound - in fact I removed the cone. It is by no means obnoxious but does give that nice Remus growl. Personally i like the looks much better than the OEM.
Hard to say if it is cost justified but I am pleased with my purchase.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Easy roadshadowww. I personally apologize if I stepped on your thread but there's no need to challenge my understanding of how this forum works. This wasn't a thread hijack and any further brake discussion would move to a new thread.

Now further to your original aftermarket can topic, I remember reading a rather extensive article on aftermarket cans in a sport bike magazine. Performance improvements were marginal and the gains usually required changes to the air box and either the addition of a Power Commander or remapping of the fuel flow and ignition timing. In some cases there was even a power loss. However there was an obvious gain in sound level and in some cases especially with the carbon fiber cans a significant decress in weight. Personally it looked like the gains didn't outweight the cost.

·
Registered
457 Posts
What Ricbob said. It would be interesting to do a dyno before and after test to get an actual measurement of the performance change.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Pirate's Lair posts the specs of the models they offer for sale. Pick up 5 HP and drop 17 lbs with no other modifications necessary. fyi

·
Registered
117 Posts
The weight decrease and the exhaust noise I can understand, but could someone explain why, with 152 ponies already, anyone would pay to get another 5? ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the remus carbon fiber installed and really like the sound and the looks. I really do not care about the performance increase (none really noted) I did it more for the sound. The bike runs fine with it and yes 152 hp is probably enough.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Agaragefull said:
I have the remus carbon fiber installed and really like the sound and the looks. I really do not care about the performance increase (none really noted) I did it more for the sound. The bike runs fine with it and yes 152 hp is probably enough.
So how about a picture?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now we're talking....we've seen some past discussion about these cans on S and R but was really looking for...and seem to have found.... those of you that had taken the step to modding your GT exhaust.

Most all agree that the 152hp is a-plenty and that the exhaust note change is pleasant enough and weight loss can't be a bad thing.

Many will not want to mess with the "starship" swoosh OEM or make the investment......OK too.

All points in either direction can easily understood....just depends on your out-look and checkbook I guess.

And thanks to all those that helped add great info to and return the thread to it's main subject.

Regards !

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
I wanted Laser Hotcam Ti slip-on because I liked its sound on KS. But Laser informed me that they did not produce them for '06 KGT and had no plans to start production.
And now I ride with ear-plugs so I do not need to change the can. :))

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks for the pics guys!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
John06KGT said:
A hp bump, a weight decress and a nice exhaust note...not bad a deal for can change only.....
You also lose the catalytic converter and its heat, right?

Did on my GS with the full Remus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts