BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Corbin and I can work out the schedule, I'm going to let them use my bike as a guinea pig for designing a new front and rear saddle for the new KGT. The project will take about 8 weeks but I have extensive business travel coming up anyway. As we go forward I'll keep everyone posted on the progress and schedule. AND if anyone has any suggestions for saddle design and areas needing extra support please let me know and I'll share them with Corbin. Thanks in advance to all.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think that it would be really cool if they also came out with a "smuggler" option for the GT like they have for the RT.

Brian

·
Registered
63 Posts
I second the smuggler design. Also ,how about some sort of removeable back rest WITH arm rests as in the LT and Goldwing back rests they make. I know that pillion backrests with arm rests wont interest everyone ,but a removable one would be good for the big rides. Will the Corbin seat keep the heating?
Also ,maybe not quite so squared off, around the edges would be good ,just so you can still hang off the seat a little bit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Smuggler plus heated seats - definitely!! They better plan on a large production run. ;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. So far, smuggler, heated seats and soft corners on the transition from the butt surface to the sides.

What about extra thigh support, or more of more of a contoured pocket?

·
Registered
66 Posts
John06KGT said:
If Corbin and I can work out the schedule, I'm going to let them use my bike as a guinea pig for designing a new front and rear saddle for the new KGT. The project will take about 8 weeks but I have extensive business travel coming up anyway. As we go forward I'll keep everyone posted on the progress and schedule. AND if anyone has any suggestions for saddle design and areas needing extra support please let me know and I'll share them with Corbin. Thanks in advance to all.
All I want is a seat that doesn't look like it doesn't belong on this bike (like a Russell does) and one that will allow me to ride 400-600 miles per day.

Anything above that is just gravy.

-mark=

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeh...

cr500 said:
I second the smuggler design. Also ,how about some sort of removeable back rest WITH arm rests as in the LT and Goldwing back rests they make. I know that pillion backrests with arm rests wont interest everyone ,but a removable one would be good for the big rides. Will the Corbin seat keep the heating?
Also ,maybe not quite so squared off, around the edges would be good ,just so you can still hang off the seat a little bit.
And...don't forget to round off the padding on the arm rests cause you don't want to get hung up on those either...when you're hanging off....;)

Doug

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely nothing against removeable back rest WITH arm rests idea. cr500 is clearly a creative thinker. BUT as a priority, I agree that the two top priorities should be that the seat will allow a painless 600 mile day AND be aesthetically pleasing on the KGT. The lounge chair strapped to a motorcycle look is not what we are going for here!

I've used Corbin saddles for over 15 years and personally, I have found that the piping at the seam can become uncomfortable on a long ride. This could be an inherent Corbin design requirement for stitching durability and can't be avoided. Has anyone else had any issues with the seat piping?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And one more thing, I just talked with Corbin about the seat heaters to make sure that they make every effort to make their seat heater simply plug into the BMW seat heater system. No need reinvent the wheel when we already have handle bar control switches and LED indicators.

·
Registered
236 Posts
MarkMGT said:
All I want is a seat that doesn't look like it doesn't belong on this bike (like a Russell does) and one that will allow me to ride 400-600 miles per day.

Anything above that is just gravy.

-mark=

+1

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You just couldn't resist could you???? Yes I've seen them.....several times. The seats really look good and I am personally very jealous. But I hope to get even soon.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well John, he does most of his work via UPS, do distance is no object.
But since you're in Oregon, have you checked with Don at Mr. Ed's Moto? He's a great guy and does very nice work (but not as cheap as Rich out here in Virginia); he sent me some pics of recent K-GT seats he's done. Give him a call and tell him Greg in VA sent you.
Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
have you checked with Don at Mr. Ed's Moto?

Greg, thanks for the info on Mr. Ed's Moto. I will check into what he can do as well. In the end (no pun intended) I hope that there's enough choices for reworked or replacement seats to make most everyone happy. I know that they are expensive but I've been satisified with Corbin seats for years while others like Sargent and then others find a local guy that can rework a seat too. All I know right now is that my factory seat has got to go because my butt starts hurting in 75 miles and screaming by 100! :ricky

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mr Ed's GT Seat

"But since you're in Oregon, have you checked with Don at Mr. Ed's Moto? He's a great guy and does very nice work"

John,
I live just up the road from you in Portland and had Don at Mr Ed's redo my GT seat. This is the third seat he has done for me as I have never found a stock BMW seat that works for me on any of my bikes. I now have 10,500 miles on my GT, the majority of them on Don's seat. It makes all the difference, as the stock seat, as you found, was a killer after a very short period of time. You are welcome to come and sit on mine anytime. I also have the bar riser, dropped pegs, Cee Bailey's windshield, and BigMak tank bag and e-rack. Just contact me off list and we'll work out a convenient time.
Jeff
"MitchRider:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Any chance for pics of Don's work?

Thanks,
Brian

PS I used to live in Vancouver WA. You really take your life in your hands riding in the PDX metro area don't you. :mad:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for being the ginny-pig. I hate the seat on my GT. I've been hacking away at it since I got the bike. I'll be first on the list when Corbin has a seat ready.

I've learned a couple of things for those interested.
- The loose vinyl that aids in the forward slide, was done deliberately. The passenger seat wraps the vinyl directly over the foam. On the drivers seat there is an extra thin foam wrap followed by a slick crinkly layer of plastic. Since the vinyl is also has a slippery backing it slides around.

- The shape is all wrong, as we all know. But, it's also very difficult to reshape. The wedged passenger seat is a significant part of the drivers seat support. The drivers seat isn't self supported, and not enough foam to make a good pocket in the rear. The front already has too much foam, which is partly the cause of the sliding forward. I'll be surprised if Corbin can make us a two piece seat that works. They like a stiff pan, and they don't have it if they leave BMW's adjustment system in place.

- I did manage to make the seat a little better. I removed the slippery plastic, and hacked off over an inch of foam. That alone made a flatter, more supportive surface. I added an inch of gel. I raised the front a bit, and smoothed the transition to the thighs. re-stretched and stapled the stock vinyl. Then I added a layer of Ultra-Sued. It'll due till Corbin is ready.

As to suggestions for a seat, I like what's listed above. Priority for me is comfort, then looks. Using the stock heat also seems to be a must.

If Corbin needs to go to a one piece seat for comfort, will people still buy it? I will.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't thank everyone enough for their input on this important subject. Corbin or any other seat designer/maker may have only one shot at getting it right the first time as news of the best seat will travel fast. And thanks "JohnC" for the detailed description of the factory seat. I was wondering about the seat wrinkles and forward pressure. I rode about 350 miles yesterday and the pressure points are very narrow and very uncomfortable. It almost as if the seat is designed for people with a 6 inch wide back side. There's no direct support for the buttocks and I literally start to get a burning sensation at my crotch and the inner contact points. Not desirable to say the least.

I have one other idea that I wanted to ask about. Do you think that two types of front seats would be better than one? Here's my theory, Corbin could take advantage of the adjustable seat position system. I have a 33 inch inseem so I could get away with a thicker more supportive padded seat that I could set in the lower seat position if it feels too tall in the upper. While not the best situation perhaps for riders with shorter inseems but second style low profile seat could be made available too. Less padding but hopefully only slightly less comfortable for long rides. What do you think?

Oh and to "bnblazer", you're right the traffic in the Portland area is getting out of control. Continued growth with no relief in sight. :(

·
Registered
63 Posts
JOhn06KGT, I think the idea of the 2 different style seats is good. I have longer legs so I would like the thicker seat so I can stretch my legs a tad more ,while the short arsess out there will want a lower seat so they can touch the ground.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This weekend>

I called Corbin about the status of the GT seat and they noted they will have a bike in tomorrow (Saturday) to start the work. Is this your bike? If so, thanks for taking one for the team - 8 weeks is a *long* time!

JC

1 - 20 of 42 Posts