BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A note to fellow California riders in case you haven't yet heard. On 09/28/10 Governor Schwarzenegger signed into law SB43 which deals with motorcycle exhaust and emission control standards. When it takes effect in 2013 any can without an EPA stamp on it will be illegal. For that a large amount of credit is certainly due to the "loud pipes save lives" group. Thanks guys. Riders in other states shouldn't be too smug. California has always been a bellwether state.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I bet prices double on replacement OEM exhausts. For BMW motorcycles, I wonder if it isn't more economical to toss the old bike and buy a new one when the exhaust gives out. :(

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
It seems a bit Draconian to include existing vehicles rather than new - is that really the case?

I've always thought that removing the CAT and fitting aftermarkets might come back to bite one day.

I had a stocker for my '97 KRS shipped from USA as a 'new' take off and I seem to remember it had a plate on it with reference to USA standards. I was so pleased to replace my old stocker with rusted out header flanges and dull alli sleeve with this nice shiny new system I didn't stop to read the plate.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I should have been a bit more clear. This won't affect existing bikes. The bill essentially modified the California Vehicle Code to make it a crime to operate a motorcycle manufactured after January 1, 2013, that fails to meet the federal noise-emission control standards. At that time, OEM systems will get the stamp and any aftermarket systems will have to meet OEM standards to get the stamp.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
That sounds less Draconian, but means we'll pay more for aftermarket systems.

I don't know how the aftermarket systems will meet emission rules without a CAT though. I always thought BMW were ahead of the game fitting CATs because at the time there were no EU emission regulations covering motorcycles, but there may be now.

I think the EU exemption philosophy about motorcycles was they are pretty Eco friendly in cities and need to be made cheap to encourage the masses to buy them. On the emissions side, you don't sit for hours in a traffic queue punching out masses of bad gases. I was in agreement with new rules on 2 cycle bikes, however there are now synthetic eco friendly 2T oils available.

Whoever seems to be bringing in these emission rules isn't working from sound logic. They probably have this figure of 'ounces of bad stuff' per mile but forget the time spent by a bike churning them out in a city is relatively small and even less when the weather is bad for riding.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts