BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
hp_scoots said:
:bmw: Now that's a hot bike ! I'm tempted to trade my GS for that sweet looking ride !
You can say that again!!:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Retirement bike

Hi guys:

That is the first of the "new gen" Beemers that I will ride.

I have never ridden a H-D Twinkie; went directly from Evo's Beemers. Rode my '01 GS over many a fast stretch of pavement, and many a washboarded, steep, loose path (knees knocking against the tank all the while!).

The K is a rocket ship. Nothin' like it. It's like flying.

Still, the GS is where it's at. The Garand of motorcycles. Plus, it can haul my dog Zeke on the back, in his kennel crate. Ping here:

http://www.drizzle.com/~leopard/hrf_2004.htm

and scroll down and you'll see what I mean.

But doggone, the new Adventure sure looks nice!! This may be the one.

Seeya
ATB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
Paughco said:
Hi guys:

That is the first of the "new gen" Beemers that I will ride.

I have never ridden a H-D Twinkie; went directly from Evo's Beemers. Rode my '01 GS over many a fast stretch of pavement, and many a washboarded, steep, loose path (knees knocking against the tank all the while!).

The K is a rocket ship. Nothin' like it. It's like flying.

Still, the GS is where it's at. The Garand of motorcycles. Plus, it can haul my dog Zeke on the back, in his kennel crate. Ping here:

http://www.drizzle.com/~leopard/hrf_2004.htm

and scroll down and you'll see what I mean.

But doggone, the new Adventure sure looks nice!! This may be the one.

Seeya
ATB
Nice pics!:)
 

·
Maestro de Turismo
Joined
·
406 Posts
If Hummer made motorcycles, that's what it would look like.

I've always been tempted to get a GS and do some long travelling with it in North Africa. My only concern with these new generation GS's is all the electronics.

If my K1200S has the CanBus go to shit while I'm on the road, its not big deal since I will likely be somewhere near civilisation (the KS ain't exactly going to be far off of any paved road).

However, it you use the GS for its intended purpose, and your electronics go haywire out in the middle of nowhere, how are you going to fix it?

With previous versions you could always try and rig something up. But with the CanBus, what the hell do you do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
hdf said:
If Hummer made motorcycles, that's what it would look like.

I've always been tempted to get a GS and do some long travelling with it in North Africa. My only concern with these new generation GS's is all the electronics.

If my K1200S has the CanBus go to shit while I'm on the road, its not big deal since I will likely be somewhere near civilisation (the KS ain't exactly going to be far off of any paved road).

However, it you use the GS for its intended purpose, and your electronics go haywire out in the middle of nowhere, how are you going to fix it?

With previous versions you could always try and rig something up. But with the CanBus, what the hell do you do?
Can't depend on any CAN systems, when you're out in middle of nowhere. At least the previous R1150GS's still have fuses! Systems are too new to know how they're doing. Time will tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
I'm hearing April - May US deliveries.

Does anyone know for sure?

I'm seriously in the market for this type of bike. Seems I've been bitten by the "Adventure Bike" bug. I'm now planning a trip to Alaska and this new GS is the ultimate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
pricing

any one come up the the pricing on the gs adventure ????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Local dealership (Engles in KC) said they expect full details by end of FEB if not sooner. Best guess through their channels is about $1K more than standard 1200GS. What I found was odd is the '06 R1150GSADV's are selling for more than the 1200GSs. I guess supply and demand comes into play?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
dec said:
Local dealership (Engles in KC) said they expect full details by end of FEB if not sooner. Best guess through their channels is about $1K more than standard 1200GS. What I found was odd is the '06 R1150GSADV's are selling for more than the 1200GSs. I guess supply and demand comes into play?
Yup, supply and demand. The units built for the US market was 200 or less for the '06 R1150GSADV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
The new GSA has its visual appeal for those smitten with the gnarly, bulbous, Humvee like looking bike. Quite understandable. The extra tank range is a benefit for thoser needing more than than the 240 mile range of the 12GS. There is slightly more suspension travel.

Otherwise, there are disadvantages versus the 12GS. A big one is the 65-70 more lbs. of weight. This is significant. Egads, it weighs as much as the porky old 1150GS standard. Used to have one of these. If off road is the destination, give me the much lighter 12GS any day. If the street, no question -- 12GS. 99% of GS riders will not be in a place where more than 240 miles/tank is needed. The suspension travel on the 12GS is more than sufficient for off road exploits. The power-to-weight advantage of the 12GS vs 12GSA is serious and noteworthy, from off road to curve/canyon carving, not to mention parking lot maneuvers with the tallish GS seat.

I'm known to buy a bike from looks alone :), but from the soapbox p-o-v it isn't all positives with the GSA vs the existing GS, not even considering the price premium.

Would prefer to do this on the 12GS:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
Sfarson,

I think you're right on with your GS vs GSA evaluation. I was going to wait for the GSA but I came to realize each point you correctly made. I'm going to order a GS with spokes and make it look much like the GSA if I can. What is your opinion of the ABS on the GS? I've had it on every BMW I've owned but I also have a 999R without and it stops just fine thank you.

BTW, do you still have your 999? Want to buy a perfect 05 999r with BST's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Will you trade even... an '03 999 for your '05 999R? :p The 999 binders bring the Duc to a quick and sure stop... that's for sure. A nice and cool hissing sound too. That said, the ABS is for when a sudden and sure stop is needed on an uncertain road surface... wet, gritty, slick, etc. You know, I've never needed ABS yet, but I kinda like knowing it is there. Your call, and regardless of the GS you opt for, good call as well. There are quality reasons why this thing was the international motorcycle press MOTY. Nice knowing any road is fair game. A hoot over shorter and longer distances. You seriously could find yourself cooking through a section of curves faster on this than more dedicated sporting breeds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
I'd like to save the weight on this new bike by deleting the ABS. I've also never needed it on a real road situation. On a dirt road I would be switching it off anyway. Since I'm ordering one, now's the time to decide. I must admit I don't have an idea of how much extra weight we're talking. Do you know?

Do you own a GS now or in the past?

I'm interested in heading toward the southwest this spring and/or maybe to Alaska in the summer. Are you interested in doing a 7-10 day trip either direction? I hope to be on the GS for Alaska but could ride the KS on the southwest trip.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top