BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2008 k1200gt friday. Thought I would introduce myself. I recently owned a r1200gs and before that a r1200rt. I missed my rt after trading it in on the gs so I went to the dealer to look at trading it in on another rt. Long story short-a gt came home instead.
:bmw:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congratulations on your new GT! I find it a pretty awesome motorcycle and, except for the brake pad wear sensor wire, my 2007 has been flawless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got on the new ride this morning to go to work and I got the flashing red triangle!! Tire pressure monitor showed only 15 psi in the rear tire. Sure enough there is a @$#!ing nail dead center in the tire. 310 miles on the bike. :boom:
Dejavu all over again!! My gs picked up a nail at 308 miles when I bought it. That time I dismounted the tire and patched it only to pick up another nail in less than 200 more miles-this time the sidewall was punctured so I replaced the tire.
I am trying to decide whether to repair or replace the tire on the GT. The puncture is dead center and the nail came out straight. Normally I would repair the tire and not give it a second thought but I purchased this bike so my wife and I could ride together and i am a little wary for some reason. I have put many miles on repaired tires with no problems but I always rode solo. Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Bummer, Kent. But at least you knew there was a problem before you got way out on the road somewhere.

I know how you feel. I picked up a nail with 50 miles on a new tire and didn't discover it until we were packed and ready to go on a two-week trip. I had to scramble to get the tire replaced as all the shops were closed.

When we got back from our trip, I had the old tire fixed with a proper inside patch done by a qualified tire shop then left it in the garage as a spare. I later rode that tire to the end of its tread without any problems.

·
Registered
414 Posts
GTYeti said:
Got on the new ride this morning to go to work and I got the flashing red triangle!! Tire pressure monitor showed only 15 psi in the rear tire. Sure enough there is a @$#!ing nail dead center in the tire. 310 miles on the bike. :boom:
You are gonna get a lot of different opinions on this one, but if it was mine, I would put inside patch on it (no plug) and ride it. That said, if I was planning a long trip, I would probably mount a new tire and keep it for a spare to ride locally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JamesM said:
You are gonna get a lot of different opinions on this one, but if it was mine, I would put inside patch on it (no plug) and ride it. That said, if I was planning a long trip, I would probably mount a new tire and keep it for a spare to ride locally.
thats probably what I will do, thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
inside patch worked for me, to the end

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am a poor man but even so all my tires are repaired with a plug patch. Google images as I could not figure how to upload one on this board.

Never use plugs for long term repairs. Just a patch permits water(if one rides in rain) to pressure its way down the plys/belts. Steel belts will rust. It is unlikely BUT water pressure can cause tread seperation.

Congrats on the new GT. I'm lovin' my new to me '91 K75S. Want a Ducati ST3 next... :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wound up patching the tire with a patch that has a plug built into it (thanks to my buddy Ben). Just returned from a 850 mile weekend trip with no problems at all. On a side note my bike came with tire pressure monitors but I found out that they are off by 6 to 7 psi. I was riding highway 72 (sweeper madness) in Utah saturday afternoon and nearly lost the front end on the tar strips that were put down last year (thanks a bunch UDOT :loco ). I have rode this stretch of road many times on my RT and GS but have never had my tires slide so much. After checking the bike over I checked the tire pressures and found them to be quite high. Sunday morning I checked them before leaving for home with my guage and a friends digital guage and found that the front tire was at 45 psi and the rear was at 48 psi. The readout on the dashboard showed 37 front and 41 rear. After lowering the pressures to 38 and 40 the readout showed 32 and 36 with a flashing warning light for a low tire. Back to the dealer it goes tuesday to get this repaired.
I think the Bridgestone 020 tires on this bike are shit-wooden handleing and nervousness in the front end even with the correct air pressure. Anyone have the same experience or advise on replacement tires?

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
There's lots of debate here about tires. Here's just one thread.

The short story is that after 5 fronts and 8 rears, I'm sticking with the Avon Storms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts