BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

New GT specs found

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  milkman 
#1 ·
I posted this in the other thread but figured it might get buried and unnoticed by folks...also might be worth a sticky:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index_frameset.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/products/luxurytourers/k1200gt/k1200gt_data.html

It was not linked off their site, so it makes me wonder if the web folks for BMW need to learn "security thru obsecurity" for pages is not a good idea :)...here is a few facts converted for us in the US for the NEW GT:

Unladen weight, road ready, fully fuelled - 621lbs
Usable tank volume 24l = ~6.3 gallons
Fuel consumption over 100 km at constant 90 km/h - 4.8l = ~48 mpg @ 55mph
Fuel consumption over 100 km at constant 120 km/h - 5.8l = ~40 mpg @ 75mpg
Alternator - 945W

#3 ·
Which is it

Mudbug said:
How unfortunate. Only 6.3 gallons. Should be like the R1200RT, 7 gallons.
I just looked up the specs on the K1200LT. It has a 24 litre tank.

More is better, especially for serious long distance riding.
What I saw on the site is 24 liters with 4 liter reserve - that's 28 liters or 7.4 gal. But if it is really only 24 liters til stopped by the side of the road, then that's 6.3 :confused:

#5 ·
This is the same fuel capacity as the Luxo Barge K1200LT. Granted, I don't see the K1200GT getting 50 MPG, but I'm sure it will get close to 40 MPG. And if you do the math, that's 240 miles before you get too far into your reserve. Considering the current K1200GT gets about 180 miles before hitting reserve, I think they've addressed the fuel range issue pretty well.

Now, did they address the TIRE issue from the K1200S and K1200R? Screw fuel range, because I want to know if you can go more than 3000 miles before needing a set of tires.

#8 ·
change riding habits

Change riding habits like what, no brakes, no leaning, no speed, no acceleration. Even with what I consider to be mildly aggressive riding I am getting no more than 3500 miles average tire set.

#9 ·
Mudbug said:
How unfortunate. Only 6.3 gallons. Should be like the R1200RT, 7 gallons.
I just looked up the specs on the K1200LT. It has a 24 litre tank.

More is better, especially for serious long distance riding.
Oh, for heaven's sake!

Somehow, I cannot see the point that 6.3l is not good enough, but mere 0,7l more (total of 7l) is good. C'mon people!! Going on about an additional 10% isn't even worth the time of day!

Just be glad is is significantly better that the previous GT.

Bob.

#10 ·
Come on 3500 miles from a set of tires?! I'll get that on my S that have Pilot Powers which aren't milage tires, and I do ride aggressively. Either you are more aggresive than you think, are running soft rubber, you weight 300+ lbs , or your tire pressure gauge is broke. I was getting 6K or so on my 03 KRS.. on both Pilot Roads, and B'Stone 020, and I weight 210 lbs and always had the bags on the bike...

dkeven said:
Change riding habits like what, no brakes, no leaning, no speed, no acceleration. Even with what I consider to be mildly aggressive riding I am getting no more than 3500 miles average tire set.

#12 ·
RFWILSON said:
Oh, for heaven's sake!

Somehow, I cannot see the point that 6.3l is not good enough, but mere 0,7l more (total of 7l) is good. C'mon people!! Going on about an additional 10% isn't even worth the time of day!

Just be glad is is significantly better that the previous GT.

Bob.
What he said...

#13 ·
tire mileage

metz z3 2800 cords in rear, pirellli strada 3150 cords in rear, road attacks 4000 or so cords in rear, I weigh 230 6ft tall, using digital tire guage and the wilton on my garage compresor yeilds less than 1 lb difference, tried oem reccomended pressure on original tire went up slightly on next set 38f 40r no bags on bike usually solo riding, only leaning I get to do is three corners on the way to work sweepers 70-120mph depending on mood and traffic. Old bike R1200C tires every 5 or 6 thousand usually Avons but no real performance there. Heck even osprey who is a bit bigger than I gets the same or better mileage out of his tires from his posts. I have all the removed tires still for my shrine untill I find an economical way to get rid of them.

Erik said:
Come on 3500 miles from a set of tires?! I'll get that on my S that have Pilot Powers which aren't milage tires, and I do ride aggressively. Either you are more aggresive than you think, are running soft rubber, you weight 300+ lbs , or your tire pressure gauge is broke. I was getting 6K or so on my 03 KRS.. on both Pilot Roads, and B'Stone 020, and I weight 210 lbs and always had the bags on the bike...

#14 · (Edited)
dkeven said:
Change riding habits like what, no brakes, no leaning, no speed, no acceleration.
The main reason I get good mileage (10,000+) is because 80% of my miles are highway miles....no leaning?...lean all you want....that doesn't use the center track....no speed?....go as fast as you want (I do!)....jack-rabbit starts all the time, hard braking and hard downshifts eat up that rubber...anticipate when you're gonna have to slow down and practice rev-matching on downshifts....shit, if I only got 3000 miles per set, I would be on my eighth set this year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.