BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still waiting for the local dealership in Townsville to get one in. I am starting to take notice of the positive comments re the new GT vs my 04 machine (which I love). How much does the Xenon head light cost extra in Oz? I think I paid $29K AU for my 04 new, and I know I will take a major hit on my machine as a trade. Just depends on how much they offer. I'd like to think $20K as a trade (27000kms), but I'm sure I'm in for a shock.
My only concern without ever seeing a new GT, is that the new K series looks a bit Japanese to me. The flowing lines of the prior series are lovely.
Hopefully Townsville BM will have the machine in the next week. Then I need to do battle with the wife! (And repair my ruined 47 Indian engine, bugger!)

Best wishes all.

Ken.

·
Registered
234 Posts
New GTs in Sydney

Hey Ken,

GT went into showrooms last week and I was scheduled to take one for a ride today but weather in Sydney is horrible.

As many other have commented, it looks a lot better in the flesh than it does in pictures. The top of the range model with all accessories including the Xenon headlight is about $34,000 on the road. The headlight is not Bi-Xenon, so it only works on low beam but having just recently had an S for the weekend, I thought the standard light was awesome.

Will try and get out on one next weekend and report.

The new R1200S is also in the showroom - BMW are certainly doing some interesting stuff right now.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Gt

Rode one not so long ago Baytown. You are right about the jap bit. Beautiful frame, lovely handling, acceleration etcetera.

But I said to me self "Self, you just did an eight hour ride including Thredbo on the Snowy, now which sickle would you think best for the occasion"

Staying with the RS. Nice to have both though

·
Registered
108 Posts
G-day mates

Hello there my Australian brothers. I'm wondering if you can help me with some info, when do you expect the 2007 models to be in the showroom in Sydney? We are moving to Syd in September, and I am debating if I should bring my 05 K1200S with me, or sell it, and buy an 07 when we get there. When we get there, I don't want to be without a bike for too long, and shipping it means it won't arrive till October at the earliest. I thank you for your help on this, and I look forward to hopefully riding with some of you very soon.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
re bike

Baytown...Next Sunday I am dining with a family member who is the sales manager for these damn things. Want me to compare prices

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey Christian,

As far as I can tell, the normal release month for the new year's models is around August/September. I'm not sure if that's set in stone though and BMW may elect to alter the dates.

Others may like to comment and certainly if I hear anything, I'll drop you a note.

Let us know when you get here and if I'm around, I can show you some of the better roads to tour around Sydney. I say if I'm around as I'm moving north around that time.

Cheers,

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G'day Clint (long time no hear!) and Pap.
Thanks for the info fellas.
Pap, if you have any inside price info, that would be great.
I'm stuck on liking the K1200S but tyre wear rate is an issue, as will loss of the cruise control which I love, and price of the new K1200GT will be an issue for the wife!

Best wishes all.

Ken.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Christian, earlier comments about September for new models is on the mark. I picked up my K1200s Setember 23 2005 expecting a 2005 but actually got a 2006 so 2007 models most likely be availble last quarter 2006. Anyway here is BMW Motorrad Australia Customer Relations phone number 1800 422000 (aussie country code if you calling from outside of the country is 61). I'm sure they can give more detail.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sydney delivery

Thank you Gents...this makes my outlook a lot easier. I will most likely sell my 05 KS and bring my Ducati instead. Hopefully the 07 models will offer new paint colors, cruise control, and those cool looking xenon lights. I will undoubtedly be contacting you guys, so that we can meet up for some rides.
Thanks again mates.

P.S. How about those Socceroos???!!!!????!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yep, the Socceroos have started well but there's a long way to go yet.

Good of you to notice.

Cheers,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi guys
The local (and only) BMW dealer here in Perth has a new GT in store, so I managed to score a demo ride last Saturday.

My comments below should be taken in the context that I have set up my current 2003 K12GT for more of a touring style of riding than sports with the addition of a high screen, bar risers and a peg lowering kit.

I must say that my impressions were somewhat counter to a lot of the 'oh my God this is the best thing since sliced bread' reactions you read about on this site. The following is a summary of my findings:

1. Looks are ok, but still not drop dead gorgeous.
2. The seat is bloody awful. Its like a badly shaped lump of wood. Even after half an hour my butt was begining to complain.
3. Shifting gears was accompanied by a loud CLUNK on each change. Probably a function of the newness of the gearbox but still, a little disconcerting.
4. The throttle had an annoying free play of about 1/8th of a turn before it engaged. This resulted in some rather jerky riding to begin with. Others on this site have noted this problem and have recommend tightening the throttle cable. That should fix it I would guess, but still, it shouldn't be there to begin with.
5. The riding position is great in terms of the reach to the handlebars (the bars were adjusted to their maximum height), but the peg postition was a little too sporty for me with my knees being bent up too far. I found this quite uncomfortable.
6. The panniers are much improved in terms of carrying capacity and ease of use but when taken off (which is what I do most of the time) the anchor points are a bit ugly compared to the previous attachment mechanism where the anchor points blend in with the bike much more.
7. Performance is good ... no make that great. When you twist the throttle, it goes!
8. It is lighter handling than my GT which is the major grip I have against the older model.
9. The brakes are excellent (but about the same as my current GT).
10. The windshield is a bit disappointing. Even at full height it doesn't give a great deal of protection. The mechanical assembly that moves the screen looks a lot more solid though.
11. The instrumentation is ok but not outstanding. In fact I much prefer the instruments on my GT - they seem to be a lot easier to read.
12. Heat management is excellent. I don't know how they do it but the heat simply disappears out the back of the bike. Some great engineering somewhere under there.

At the end of the day would I fork out around $33K for this bike. The simple answer is no. I think it is a good bike, but not an earth shattering one, and given that the new FJR is 'only' $24K I believe it is about $4-5K over priced.

Cheers

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Townsville BM now has one, and have offered me a test ride.
I really appreiciate the new technology of the machine, but it's bloody ugly compared to the flowing lines of my 04 GT. I could wangle purchasing the new bike, especially when you consider another 2 years warrenty, new tyres due soon on my bike, 30k service due soon etc.
But it just doesn't grab hold of me like my 04.
I'll deliberate a while longer.
If the K1200S had cruise and didn't eat tyres every 5000k I'd go for it.

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rode it!

Well, rode the new GT today, about 80kms.
Unfortunatly, I haven't slept for 36 hours (buisy at work) so wasn't feeling all that bright.
Looks still are an issue compared to my 04 GT, but it wasn't as bad as I remembered!
The bike would take a fair while to get use to (but I thought the same of my 04).
My biggest issue, is I can't sit flat footed without having straight legs (standard seat in low position).
Didn't enjoy stopping for this reason.
The looks are growing on me, and I know the bike would too. I was offered approx $20K trade for my 26000km bike, on the new bells n whistles machine.
Watch this space. (Bloody fast isn't it!)

Best wishes all.

Ken.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ken,

That trade-in price seems pretty good to me but perhaps it won't matter as you don't sound all that impressed.

I had to can my recent test ride as the weather turned bad on me and I just haven't had a chance to get back there. The next few weeks don't look much better but I should be OK for a run before end July.

I'm interested to see how the seat fairs over a 1 hour ride as I get the impression this is one of the weak spots of the new GT.

I'll report back when I've had a run with my thoughts.

Cheers,

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To new GT or not to new GT. That is the question.

G'day Clint.
I think the thing is that my 04 GT is still a fairly new model, and such a lovely looking bike from almost any angle. Smooth curves beat Japanesy angles of the new GT any day.
It still does all I need of it, and goes faster than I would ever need.
I may even talk to the dealer to see if there are any late 05 models still kicking around available, as I'm up for new tyres and a 30K service soon, so there's $1500.
Getting an 05 / early 06 would negate the waste of money, and give me another 2 years warranty.
I'll look on the Bike Point site to see if any are around.
How’s your RS going?
Best wishes Clint.

Ken.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've ridden it now & had the Yamaha FJR1300 along too!

Hey Ken,

My RS is going great and I now have 42,000+ kms on the clock. As of Saturday, I think I have a buyer but he doesn't want to pick it up until the end of July which suits me fine.

As to what to get next? - that's a tough question.

I finally rode the new GT on Saturday and was able to give it a reasonable run on a mix of city and rural roads (mainly rural). Strangely, my first impression was of being on a big scooter. I think it has something to do with having a lot of bike out in front of me rather than the instruments being between my arms as with the RS (and your GT).

It was very smooth, easy as hell to ride and has plenty of grunt. I thought the handling through the twisties was excellent with heaps of ground clearance for a tourer.

I was lucky to have a mate along on his latest model FJR1300 Yamaha so we swapped bikes for a while. They are very different machines in my opinion. The Yamaha felt smaller and more sport orientated to me but the motor wasn't as smooth as the GT. Throttle and clutch action on the GT was superior to that of the Yamaha. Even though there's a hint of fuelling issues on the GT, I found the throttle light and easy to use in conjunction with the clutch compared to the FJR.

I thought the Yamaha was more comfortable but it didn't protect me from the elements as much as the GT. I've read a lot about the seating on the GT and after a couple of hours in the saddle, I thought the GT was OK - just OK. Bars, hands, wrists etc were fine but I couldn't get my backside in the right position and it was beginning to get sore. I think the seat is soft, maybe too soft and therefore a little unsupportive as a result.

Ride on both bikes was excellent but once again, I liked the GT.

Overall, I think the GT is better than the FJR but is it nearly $10,000 better? Perhaps not.

Which brings me to choices - do I go the more sporting route and chose the K1200S or go more touring orientated? I have a feeling that if I was to choose touring, then the R1200R/T would be a better touring bike. I rode the new model not long ago and whilst it doesn't have the engine smoothness and outright power of the GT, it handles superbly and is far more comfortable. It would definitely be a better tourer.

At this stage, I'm unsure what to do. It will really come down to where I spend most of my time riding - short commutes and day trips or longer touring journeys. To date, the type of riding I mainly do would dictate the K1200S is the better bet but I'm shortly moving to Coffs Harbour and the journeys will get longer.

What I really need is 2 bikes. I wonder how my wife would handle that (as if I didn't know).

Cheers,

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know where your comming from Clint.
The Townsville dealer has an R1200RT which he is keen for me to try as well. It looks like such a whale, and I'm sure a great tourer, but I need another 15 years on me before I purchase that style of machine!
The S is getting more attractive, but tyre wear, and lack of electronic cruise put me off. (I ride 130km per day, up and down the bloody straight highway, with more than it's share of mobile Police radar).
Interested to see what you end up with. (go the S!)
Either way, I have to get a new purchase by the wife as well which is daunting, especially with my 47 Chief having a major engine rebuild as we speak ($2000 for the cam lobes!!!).

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

·
Registered
234 Posts
baytown said:
The Townsville dealer has an R1200RT which he is keen for me to try as well. It looks like such a whale, and I'm sure a great tourer, but I need another 15 years on me before I purchase that style of machine!
I know it looks like that and the fact that it's such a dedicated tourer puts me off a little too but take your local dealer up on the offer. It's a very surprising machine.

I have no idea which way I'll jump - it's such a tough decision. The 2007 S should be out in a month or so and we'll see what colours and extra features that might bring. I agree with you that if the S had cruise, that might tip it over the edge for me.

Have a good week.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another Oz Member

Hey guys,

Thought I would jump in and join the Australian part of the K-bikes forum. I too thought long and hard about the GT and did some comparisons back-to-back with the FJR, both on my own and 2-up.

I would have bought the FJR over the 'old' GT as the old GT never really did it for me (no offence to anyone who has one!). I really like the looks of the new GT and reckon it is a btter bike than the FJR in the performance/handling department. Fit and finish were superior as well. Howver, even with all the bells and whistles of the new GT I still think the FJR is slightly better value.

I ended up ordering a GT though as I still think it is a better bike and I wanted the properly integrated functions like hetaed grips/heated seats/ESA/cruise conrol. Commuting in Canberra in winter can be a bit cold!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts