BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined.. I am looking at a 2008 BMW K1200S. It has 8200 miles with BMW Bags and is in absolute mint mechanical and physical condition. Maintained by a BMW service center and all is up to date.

I have ridden sport bikes for the last 25 years or so... but this would be my FIRST BMW. I have had Buells... Suzuki mainly...

Is there anything that I need a heads up on? Anything to look out for?? All information would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Driving to get it Sunday. Should be back by mid-day. It is the Blue/Silver/Black Color with hard bags.

Searching the site now... for maintenance items.. I am OCD on service... So I am ordering up oil...final drive lube....air filter...etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking forward to it. I want to ride MORE and work on them less... the reason I moved away from Buell. Just too many things went wrong and was constantly turning wrenches on it.

I will post of pics once its home!

·
Registered
206 Posts
By 2008 BMW got the bugs out of K12 and as long as PM is preformed they are very reliable.

On a side note spend the first few hours of riding getting used to it and the suspension. Remember this, K12's don't Dip in turns, but you can rely on the suspension 100%.

Congrats with the bike.
(y)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh shit, yeah, that’s definitely worth mentioning. This bike has a unique-to-motorcycles suspension that changes the dynamics based on what you might be used to

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up the 2008 BMW K1200S today. Detailed it and is shines like a new one.

I have (2) Issues that hopefully one of you can walk me through.:

1. I noticed the Brake Failure (Red LIght) on the dash. Brakes worked PERFECT.. but light stayed on.

2. Yellow warning light about gas being LOW... but then would go out and show gas was FULL which it is.

I am taking it in for a FULL BMW service for ALL fluids/new air filters and new tires.
Bike Outside.jpg
Garage.jpg

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
ABS light is supposed to go out after the bike gets underway for about 20 or so feet. Computer needs some data. (bleed/flush your brakes at least every two years). The fuel warning, look up fuel level strips in the advanced search works, the three dots in upper right menu. There are a series of bikes that do not use a float but a strip the senses fuel level. They are a bugaboo. Many failures. That is a huge topic. have fun with the bike. K12S bikes are hot rods, nasty idle and seriously fast on the road. A hand full in the city or slow traffic. They love the open roads. Look out over 7000 RPM. (y)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Damn those blue wheels are gorgeous.

The brake light light should go off, idk why it stays on.

What Beech said on the fuel strip. If your tires are still good don't replace them: you'll have plenty of opportunities to replace tires in the future. What date code is on them?

Definitely do a brake fluid flush, oil change, diff fluid change, and air filter change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tires have to go...they are dated late 2007. Yes the original tires are still on the bike. The bike was serviced for oil etc...but it was used as a straight up driver. There is NO wear on the sides.
I figure safer is better...just have it all done at one time and start from a clean slate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Absolute beauty ... Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
22 Posts
As mentioned above, this bike loves the open road. It hates stop and go traffic. Take her out and let her run!

Bone

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tires have to go...they are dated late 2007. Yes the original tires are still on the bike. The bike was serviced for oil etc...but it was used as a straight up driver. There is NO wear on the sides.
I figure safer is better...just have it all done at one time and start from a clean slate.
Yo WTF original tires from 2007?!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah... he started it. Cruised in the neighborhood but was a big harley rider and just never drove it.
Sooo needless to say the test drive was sketchy... but trans...brakes...all was smoothe and great EXCEPT for the brake light issue and gas strip.

i just set up an appointment for service at my BMW dealer to have the entire bike drained and tires added. They can fix the gas strip but he said he will have to inspect the brake light. Said it could be easy or not. He saidkey was to insure brakes are like new and deal with the ABS sensor last if its that.

they are actually bring a trailer and getting the bike from my house. A 45 mile ride one way and then bringing it back to me when done.

Pretty cool customer service there!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What do you giys think about the DELKEVIC exhaust???? Looking for a tad more aound but nit wanting to have to tune the bike.... suggestions.

·
Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
41 Posts
Yes they can replace the fuel strip easy enough. Only problem is you still have the fuel strip and they are prone to fail. Mine (#3) read full for over three years and when it decided to start reading empty full time I converted to the K1300S float system. Plenty of info on that modification here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also... if i did the exhaust and added new KN filters OR just did the filters as they need replacing anyways... will the filters mess with computer settings?..... people have said that the FI system may act up with exhaust and/or KN filters.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts