BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 1985 K100RT. Over $3000 in maintenance by owner in past year. I rode it for an hour on twisties, highway. Beautiful. It's got a Luftmeister which is very very loud, but much lighter than the stock system i had on my 85 K100rs.

Questions:

Should i keep the Luftmeister, or swap it for the stock stainless?
The bike has the stock 2-up seat and for an extra $150 i can have a Corbin Gunfighter. I plan to ride mostly by myself around town, but tour with my g/f on the back. Can i get by without the Corbin, or should i splurge on a Corbin dual instead?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Mike
A Corbin Dual Canyon seat will raise you up about 1-1 1/2". And the Corbin is wider in front. I went from a stock "comfort" seat to the Corbin and was on tip-toe with both feet down at stops. I have a 30"inseam.
Bruce C

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bruce. I'm 6', so i'm not worried about being raised up. My inseam is 34" I'm more concerned about laying out extra cash for something i don't need (solo seat), though i could sell it to get a used dual seat.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Mike
Anything is better than the stock formed,not sewn seat. Remember that the '85 K100 seat fits no other BMW. It is straight down at the rear quarter and has those hand grips bolted on at that location.
Bruce C

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha. Think i'll buy the Corbin, great for short trips, then sell the stock 2-up seat to buy a used Corbin/Russel 2-up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
motormike said:
I just bought a 1985 K100RT.
Great!!

I have an '87 model of the same bike. Reliable as houses! Mine has close to 200,000KM on it and burns zero oil, goes through zero coolant (after I replaced the waterpump seal 3 years ago. I ride to to work every day year-round.

Stock muffler works just fine for me, by the way. Mine has the tubby "comfort" seat (that needs a new cover).

Interestingly, a previous owner rode the thing from Sweden to India and back. I saw a photo of the bike with the Taj Mahal in the background!

Bob.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had an 87 K100RS. I hated the RS riding position. The stock exhaust was so quiet, but man is the luftmeister lighter. I couldn't believe the new bike was so light, i thought my memory was off until the seller told me how heavy the stainless exhaust is. No matter, i'm probably going to swap the Luftmeister back for the stock exhaust -- it's ungodly loud! I love these bikes...so happy to be back on one...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear Motormike: I suggest to put the stock exhaust system back on and keep your bike original and unmodified. Loud pipes annoy everyone, me included, and will not help your image with your neighbors. I love BMW Motorcycles, quite ones, in their original condition. - wastedspark

·
Registered
12 Posts
exhuast

If you wanna sell the L..... exhaust I might be interested??!!??
I find my bike tooooo quiet (I geuss im used to the my old sporster and guzzi and of course theres always the sweet 2 stroke sound of the RD!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.