BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I'm all set to pick up my "new" 1996 K1100LT with 61K from Minneapolis, MN this coming Thursday.

I've never ridden a K before....what do I look for? I'm told it will seem top heavy.

Thanks,

Red Prussian

Prior bikes: 1970 R50/5 (3 yrs) and 1977 R100/7 (27 yrs)

"You only live once!"

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
6899 said:
Hey gang, I'm all set to pick up my "new" 1996 K1100LT ...........

I've never ridden a K before....what do I look for?
Well, ya should have "looked for" a K12RS. :D

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Budget contraints (broker than a plugged wooden nickel) with 3 kids in college put me on a diet $$ wise.

I'm excited; but the K will be a world different from a Airhead.

Martin

·
Registered
447 Posts
Be sure to make your stops straight, putting both feet down, looking forward until you get the hang of it. You'll do just fine and you'll love the smooth power of the brick. Enjoy! :teeth

·
Registered
167 Posts
New K owner

I also have a 93 K1100LT and love it for handling and road touring. It's a bit "top heavy" if you are turning at slow speed. Just remember to use your friction point to to add power when needed. Your will be happy with the difference in low end power and torque versus your R-Bike.

Best of luck.

Fletch

·
Registered
110 Posts
The K1100LT is a great bike, and in my opinion, better looking than the new LT's. I put about 40,000 miles on a 95 and had great fun with it. It is a wonderful two-up tourer and very smooth. As someone said, keep you eyes level with the horizon at stops and slow speeds and you should be ok.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6899 said:
Thanks. Budget contraints (broker than a plugged wooden nickel) with 3 kids in college put me on a diet $$ wise.

I'm excited; but the K will be a world different from a Airhead.

Martin
I doubt I'll get any sleep until Thursday AM. Broke my leg last year and so its been 1 year and 8 months without riding a BMW.

AAARRGGH!!

I'm going crazy!

Martin

PS Sold the 1977 R100/7 to Cycle Recyle in OH as a basket case; tranny gone. It only had 97 K miles and went to Canada, Alaska, USA, Mexico and Mt Fuji, Japan. Hope the K holds up as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts