BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new K1200GT. I have been riding a 1985 K100RT for the past 12 years. On my first highway trip on the GT I noticed some differences in the way it handled. For example, the bike seems to wobble on the highway especially around traffic. My K100RT was impacted by traffic but it did not have this wobble back and forth. Is this a common trait of the new bike or should I be concerned or doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
186 Posts
GT5_33 said:
I just purchased a new K1200GT. I have been riding a 1985 K100RT for the past 12 years. On my first highway trip on the GT I noticed some differences in the way it handled. For example, the bike seems to wobble on the highway especially around traffic. My K100RT was impacted by traffic but it did not have this wobble back and forth. Is this a common trait of the new bike or should I be concerned or doing something wrong? Thanks in advance for your comments.
How many miles on your 'new' GT? What is 'your' definition of a wobble? I would have the tire pressures checked anyway if not done so.

My RS does not 'wobble'.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The K1200 GT has 7500 miles and new Metzeler Z6 tires. The wobble seems to be slight back and forth movement at any speed above 55 mph. I guess it could be too much handle bar input as I am leaning forward & could be putting to much pressure on the bars.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
GT wobble

I too experienced the wobble at first on my GT. I was coming off an R1200 and the forward lean caused me to put to much pressure on the handlebars, when I got a little buffeting from the trucks I transferred it to the bars. After a while I kept trying the yoda position of riding mentioned somewhere around here and lightened up my grip and relaxed my elbows. The buffeting is gone while using the short Ztech windshield. But there is a little from the taller parabellum I am using for the colder weather. Nothing more than expected riding in a semi trucks wash though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I too noticed the tendency of the KGT to 'wobble' in turbulent wind conditions on the freeway, first when I test-rode an '03 and later when I purchased my '04... Kinda' freaks you out at first, but just chill and let the bike have its 'head' (do not fight the bars to try to correct it) Replacing the tall GT windscreen with the smaller tinted RS sport screen lessend this sensitivity to buffeting somewhat, but not entirely... I think the upper fairing's large wind-guards are partly to blame here.... don't worry, you can trust that your KGT is not going to headshake in these conditions... I've ridden through these wind-wobbles at 100mph on the freeway w/ no ill effects... keep a light grip on the bars (w/ arms and shoulders loose!) and a tight grip w/ your knees and ride!

·
Registered
1 Posts
GT Wobbles

I also noticed the "wobble" with my '04 GT. It was a little disconcerting at the beginning, but I found that by relaxing my grip and reducing the pressure on the bars a bit, the bike became quite manageable in turbulence. I think that the floaty feeling may come from the airstream hitting the hard bags. I rode the bike without the bags in similar conditions and felt somewhat less wobble. I have no worries about the bike getting loose at speed, but it does take a little getting used to. Riding the GT in turbulence and crosswinds is certainly much more pleasurable than being beaten to death on my Sportster in the same conditions.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome and we hope you like (or learn to like) the new ride. You are on the right track asking others advice/opinions, but you also need to log some miles and see what all the differences are....compared to your previous machines. Tire pressure is a funny thing. And if the tires are new, was the front suspension "aligned" by compressing the forks....before the final tightening of the axle shaft bolts?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tire Pressure

On my RS with a large Aeroflow touring screen the wobble at speed went away when I reduced the front tire pressure to the specified amount (36 PSI) down from 38.

·
Registered
227 Posts
No wobble for me

I have an '04 K RS. It has never wobbled at all. I run 40 psi rear, 35 psi front, suspension at softest position but I have the sport suspension (yellow spring).

Perhaps the real difference is that mine is a zebra, yeah, that must be it.

Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts