BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paraphrased from the announcement I got today:

BMW announced the new 2006 R1200S and K1200GT on November 15th, 2005. The new R1200S will be based upon the R1200 platfom and offer 122 bhp and weigh in at approx 425 pounds.

The new K1200GT will be based upon the new K1200 transverse engine and also have the new duolever and paralever suspension system and 152 bhp and 130 nm torque.

Expect price for the two new models to be between $15,500 to $16,900 for the R1200S and $19,000 to $21,000(US) for the K1200GT depending on options. More information and photos to follow. The K1200GT will make it's US debut at the IMS in Long Beach in December.
No word on whether the R1200S will make it to the show. I find it interesting that the F800 bikes were not even mentioned in this announcement.

·
Registered
819 Posts
questionable

I'll believe this when I see it! There was similar hype last year with the K12S. Although, there were some in the country (primarily for teaching mechanics), they never made the bike show.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
93 Posts
There will be definitely one at the San Jose Cycle World M/C show, Dec 16,17 and 18, that is providing that an air plane does not crash. The bike will be in San Jose 3 days prior to the show.

ChrisH says "They are nuts."

IMHO, I don't think so. Compare the price of a Harley dresser and a Goldwing. You will find that the Beemer is no longer comparatively expensive. Just like a Chevy Impala and a BMW 3 or 5 series car.

·
Registered
819 Posts
pdarke said:
Valid point, but that is still $19k plus, and that is a lot of money to me. After all, isn't it all about me? ;)
Coming from someone that just paid 15-17 for a new R. I admit, this is a lot of money for a bike, but this is standard/acceptable business practice. If the bikes don't sell, which is highly unlikely (people were saying similar things about the S bike and they are still selling like hotcakes), then the price will drop to an acceptable market value. Would I spend 19k for this bike - probably not, maybe 17. But I like my RS and I think it is a better bike!

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
349 Posts
Word I got was the F800s won't make it to the US til 2008. Why, we are to be loaded up with F650s at 1200 to 1500 less then this year's prices. Also the R1200ST will no longer be produced not that most of us care. My wife now has a collector's item. There probably are a bunch in the warehouse since the bike just didn't sell. I would guess the price will come down on then dramaticly in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mark, I am just voicing my opinion. Just like everyone else here. I have had your bike, an LT and even an F650. So I have traversed the BMW product line (just not boxers, I cannot wrap my head around them, and no, that is not trolling!). The GT to me is an S or an R with a larger fairing, and for my bucks, I would get another LT. Which as it happens, I am doing next spring. The missus really liked that bike and I will be in the market for a used one.

So my point on the GT is, is the fairing, hard cases and some gadgets worth the 5-7k more? It is up to the individual to decide.

Speaking of the missus, she liked the RS better than the R. For a pillion it is a much more comfortable ride, as the seat is better and less sloped forward.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
More expensive S

Interesting comment and observation. The GT holds a lot of interest for me since it bridges the gap between the S and the LT. The LT is not going anywhere since it represents, at least to me, the comfort of a true touring cycle. The 'S' is probably going to go if the GT does give SIGNIFICANTly better creature comforts e.g. MUCH BETTER WIND/WEATHER PROTECTION, and a more upright seating position. I am also a bit fan of electronic cruise.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It appears that there will be no K-RS. It seems that the K-S has taken that place altough it is much sportier. I think the new K-GT is here to stay. It offers a lot but not as much as the K-LT.

If I remember right, originally the K-GT was an after thought for BMW. The K-RS was introduced in 1998 in the US. The K-GT in late 2002 and it is nothing more that a K-RS with different handle bars and a bit of added fairing and electic windshield. Other than that the K-RS and the K-GT are the same bike. Now the K-GT is it's own model orientated towards touring and the K-RS has morphed into the K-S, sport riding. So the new K-GT and the K-S replacement are two different bikes . . . . Both here to stay until the next major design change. Then we'll see.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with Robert's evaluation.

Like it or not, it appears that in BMW's mind, the K1200S has taken the place of the K1200RS, and the new K1200GT will take the place of what should have been a RT equivalent for the K-bikes. I seriously doubt that BMW will create a class that will fill the old K1200GT. Realistically, the old GT was just a RS with what I have called a "value option package". Electric Windshield, Heated Seats, Bolt on Fairing Extenders, and Painted Bags.

And considering that BMW is dropping the R1200ST (which I have heard, but not confirmed), I think that is a pretty strong indicator that any idea of BMW introducing an updated K1200RS to fit between the K1200S and the new K1200GT is just a dream.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
k1200gt replacement

From the looks of it the new GT will replace the LT shortly. Ugly plastic dash, saddlebags that removing will leave looks to be desired, Maybe BMW is consolidating there lineup and this is all that will be.

·
Registered
486 Posts
R-ST discontinued

I hope not. I know several BMW owners who lust after the R1200ST. It is a matter of time before they buy one. I've seen more R1200ST's sold at the local dealership than the R1200RT. Maybe price the something to do with it.

From what I've seen, the R1200RT in person and pictures of the new K1200GT, they seem to target the same market. touring. And they are in the same price range. Are these the same bike with different engines. I can't wait to see the K1200GT in person for my own comparison.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts